Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 12:57 PM

3 posts, read 10,309 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Wife and I are considering a move to the area from NYC and we are wondering about local regulations regarding "tear-downs" in Brighton and Pittsford. When we were in the Rochester area a few weeks ago, we saw some nice houses but many of them did not come with significant acreage (we are looking for >2-3 acres). We did see some homes for sale that are quite modest but that came with a lot of land.

How acceptable/legal is it to buy a modest home, tear it down, and build a nicer home on the land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 05:39 PM

5,697 posts, read 4,093,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielR View Post
Hi Everyone,

Wife and I are considering a move to the area from NYC and we are wondering about local regulations regarding "tear-downs" in Brighton and Pittsford. When we were in the Rochester area a few weeks ago, we saw some nice houses but many of them did not come with significant acreage (we are looking for >2-3 acres). We did see some homes for sale that are quite modest but that came with a lot of land.

How acceptable/legal is it to buy a modest home, tear it down, and build a nicer home on the land?
I did this a while back in a different town. The board was pretty tough on me, but said it was because it was a business project, otherwise they didn't care if I was to be the resident.

I know some in Brighton are complaining about people tearing down houses to build a "McMansion". It is expensive to tear a house down. Brighton is a beutiful fully built out town, so I understand why you would want to build there. I would recomend you structure your purchase offer so as to get approval before the deal goes through, much like many commercial deals.

If you don't need any variances, they may not be able to stop you. Hope this helps.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:21 AM

192 posts, read 530,614 times
Where exactly in Brighton were you considering tearing down? Brighton doesn’t have too many mcmansions or newer houses of any type for that matter. I suppose it could be done but it’s not something that is typically seen in Brighton. If you want a larger home and the land you might want to look into the Pittsford/ Mendon areas. It would defiantly be easier to find the land out there…but like you said in the last thread Pittsford has far less of a community feel (or the old money vibe) that Brighton has.

Also did you decide against the houses on Sandraham drive? Moving from those one of those historic homes to a newly built home is quite a juxtaposition.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:30 AM

46 posts, read 73,574 times
I saw this article today in the paper, right after reading this thread:

High-end market picks up steam | Democrat and Chronicle | democratandchronicle.com

Old 04-07-2012, 08:38 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
I'm surprised you found any 2-3 acre plots of land in Brighton...are you sure you hadn't ventured into Pittsford or Henrietta by then? Brighton is basically a southern extension of the SE quadrant of the city of Rochester....mostly 1920s-1950s houses on small city-like lots. Pittsford (town not village) would have much more in the way of the plots of land that you are looking for. You probably wouldn't get too much hassle for tearing down an existing small house to build a bigger one as long as it wasn't considered historical...and again this would have to be only in the town and not the village....there probably wouldn't be any land parcels that big in the village and it's doubtful you'd be able to tear anything down there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area