Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 804 times

Advertisements

I've done some searching about for the answer previously prior to this. The issue by in large is my own fault for not keeping tabs on things myself(Family was taking care of it) but i'm looking for an answer to correct it if possible.
Issue:
I lived in upstate NY prior to 2007 and had begun enlistment paper work with the Navy, moved to FL shortly after and shipped off to bootcamp november of 2007. My W-2's and "pay stubs" (LES) were listed as NY state as that was the original paperwork i had started but was declaring a permanent residence OTHER than NY ever since the enlistment in 2007. Needless to say i was charged NY state income tax for all 4 years without being a resident.

Question:
Is there anything I can do to reclaim any of the past years(doubtful as i think it is) and how should i go about filing for this years?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!! Thank you in advance!!!

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 01:43 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Contact a tax accountant. They will be able to help you. Family should never be taking care of your finances. You listed a NY address so that's why taxes were taken out. Did you become a resident of FL? Moving doesn't make you a resident. Waiting 4 years to figure this out probably isn't going to help you. You needed to change your address when you became a resident elsewhere. Unless you fill out the paperwork, no one will know anything differently. Hopefully, you've changed it now. Did you file NYS taxes the entire 4 years? If not, get on it and get yourself to a tax accountant. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area