Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 06:34 AM

323 posts, read 1,790,881 times

Advertisements

Hi, if you had a choice between :
Geneseo,

Livonia,

Avon,

Lima,

Caledonia,

York

Why or why not?
I am looking to be 20-25 minutes out from Henrietta, NY.
I am seeking cheaper taxes, affordable, safe living and in a community that is esthetically beautiful but also progressive or at best somewhat progressive in thinking and attitudes.
I am wanting to re locate to the Rochester area and because of the various policy on pets at Apartment complexes I am looking into perhaps building a house through a company called : Tru Build which is located in Lima , NY. (The Apartment complexes would charge me 60.00 per month extra because I have two 10 lb dogs. I understand the rationale but that is pricey. )
I would appreciate any and all feedback on the above locales and also Tru Build company (which I am impressed with) Thank you all very much~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 08:04 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Geneseo seems to fit what you are looking for, as it is a college town. There might be some rentals that would accept your dogs too.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:47 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,376,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Geneseo seems to fit what you are looking for, as it is a college town. There might be some rentals that would accept your dogs too.
^^^^^^^
My thoughts exactly!

Old 09-24-2011, 02:28 PM

Thank you so much~ Actually I was there a few years back and really enjoyed it. Thanks again for the tips.
I really wanted to be closer to Rochester because I love Father Jim's church, Spiritus Christi and would love the opportunity to be more involved.
But therein again I am open to many different possibilities. I just have to keep doing my research and see what will make the best fit.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:34 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
I vote for Geneseo, too.

The other towns are too small.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:27 AM

Thanks Lovenbrentwood~
I agree actually. They are too small. I see you are in North Carolina. I too was in Raleigh but needed to return to WNY.
Now I am moving from Buffalo and thinking of the Rochester area because it is close but not too close.
I originally was looking at Hudson Valley or Rockland NY area but after the Tornado's and due to other personal reasons I felt it wiser to look at Rochester. Actually I was in Rochester yesterday. So much nicer than Buffalo!
I am returning today for an interview

Old 09-26-2011, 04:48 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,376,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by energygrrl View Post
Thanks Lovenbrentwood~
I agree actually. They are too small. I see you are in North Carolina. I too was in Raleigh but needed to return to WNY.
Now I am moving from Buffalo and thinking of the Rochester area because it is close but not too close.
I originally was looking at Hudson Valley or Rockland NY area but after the Tornado's and due to other personal reasons I felt it wiser to look at Rochester. Actually I was in Rochester yesterday. So much nicer than Buffalo!
I am returning today for an interview
Good luck...hope you get the job!

Old 10-06-2011, 06:27 AM

240 posts, read 557,701 times
Geneseo, or Avon. Lima, Caledonia, Livonia and York are all too small, and really there isn't a lot to there. Geneseo (like previously stated) is a college down with an adorable main street area and lots of dog walking space. But Avon is also a fairly decent sized place. It isn't quite on par with Geneseo, as far as appearance and amenities, but what it lacks there, it makes up for by being closer to Henrietta(and Rochester). Avon also has drive in movies and a cute flea market.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:17 PM

11 posts, read 17,517 times
I have lived in the suburbs of Rochester (gates) and hated it. We moved out to geneseo in 2003. Love love love it! But time for us to move on. In response to your post, I used to sell real estate. Tru build homes are great! But land is scarce. You might be better off buying an existing home. As for renting - good luck. There are hardly any landlords renting to business people. They alllllllll rent to students and pets are not allowed.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:38 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,137 times
These are all exurbs. What are you going to do as gas keeps going up and up? What is so wrong with Brighton or Greece?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area