U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 12:47 PM

5 posts, read 13,563 times

Advertisements

Rochester is on a list of possible cities my partner and I might move to. We are both young gay professionals looking for a gay-friendly, openminded city with a young vibe to it. Is there a "gay district" here? Also, I know there are several colleges, but does it have a "college feel"? I have some basic info on other aspects of life here from other threads and forums, but I'm not getting the info I was hoping for. We aren't looking for a gay scene per se, but Is there a "hip" young artsy factor to Rochester at all? surrounding areas?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 03:00 PM

65,517 posts, read 91,325,464 times
GLBT Community - Rochester Wiki

According to this map, if you click on Housing and Families, then Same-Sex households, the area/census tract between Goodman and Culver with East Main in the middle has the highest percentage for any census tract at 12%. Next is the area just west of Downtown with West Main in the middle, in whihc that census tract comes in at 6%. Keep in mind that these are estimates though. With this said, I'd say that the SE Quarter of the city is the best bet.

Oops, here's the map: Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-13-2012 at 03:15 PM..

Old 06-13-2012, 03:02 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,961,630 times
Many gay people live in the Neighborhood of the Arts which is right next to the popular park ave area. I've also known some to live in the South Wedge area. The South Wedge has a hip young artsy factor.
My gay friends seem to like the area as far as being gay friendly, compared to the other places they've lived at least. The area has colleges but is not a college town where the entire area revolves around the college scene. There is a bar here and there that's college oriented but other than that, no college vibe.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:08 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,703,278 times
Unfortunately yes, Rochester is gay friendly. Luckily not enough for any terrible parades or festivals. Yet.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Unfortunately yes, Rochester is gay friendly. Luckily not enough for any terrible parades or festivals. Yet.
ummm there is a pretty decent sized gay pride parade that goes down park ave every year.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:37 AM

192 posts, read 479,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
I don’t know why that would be unfortunate to you, Rochester’s diversity is one of the city’s biggest strengths. And I take it you haven’t been down Park Ave in early June - the Pride parade is a huge event. Almost as big as the Park Ave fest.

Back to the OP:

Last edited by Corrion14621; 06-14-2012 at 01:57 AM..

Old 06-14-2012, 01:56 AM

The first two posts were right on point. While there are several great neighborhoods in each part of the city, the SE quadrant is all around the most well rounded and vibrant quadrant of the city. The SE is also the safest area in the city, and there is no area of the SE in which safety is a big concern. There are approximately 10 neighborhoods of varying size in the SE below is some info about 4 that you might want to look into.

The Neighborhood of the Arts is probably the most-gay friendly neighborhood in the city. Formerly known as the Atlantic-University neighborhood NOTA used to be a somewhat sketchy area. Then at some point during the past 10 years it was renamed the neighborhood of the arts and it did a complete 180. A lot of the older housed were fixed up and a few even painted with artsy colors (similar to that famous shot of the brightly colored houses in San Francisco). A significant portion of University Ave is now known as the art walk; and it’s dotted with small galleries, coffee shops, and even a few antique stores. The city also put in plants and let artists redo some of the bus stops and add sculptures to the street corners, so there’s no question you’re in NOTA. NOTA is also home to this huge old warehouse called the “village gate”, which was converted into artist studios and shopping space. Now you’ll find about a dozen stores and restaurants in there. Also in the Northern end of NOTA, not far from downtown, is the city’s official art Gallery.

A few blocks west of NOTA is East Ave, which is its own neighborhood. East Ave is lined with dozens of mansions formerly owned by the city’s blue bloods including George Eastman the founder of Kodak. A few are still single family homes although many have since been converted into condos or offices. East Ave is also home to the Rochester’s museum district.

A few blocks west of East Ave is the Park Ave section. Which I have sometimes heard compared to NYC’s Greenwich Village. It’s by far the most trendy/lively neighborhood in the city and is especially popular with people in their 20s and 30s. Park Ave also has a number of quieter residential streets.

Lastly the South Wedge, which is considerably farther west from the first three neighborhoods and on the Genesee River, is a small dense neighborhood tucked between Highland Park, the University of Rochester, and Downtown. The Wedge is still somewhat up and coming and has a bit of a gritty hipster vibe. The Wedge is also one of the densest neighborhoods in the entire city; 90 % its shops are on a four block stretch between Arverill and Sanford. You’ll find several boutiques, restaurants, and condos in the Wedge and also a few older shot gun houses on some of the smaller streets.

Last edited by Corrion14621; 06-14-2012 at 02:05 AM..

Old 06-14-2012, 05:48 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,807,657 times
The truth is that you have to be VERY selective where you live in Rochester if you are gay..... think Southeast quad (University down to the expressway) the Monroe and Park ave areas

Don't lets some fools tell you to live on the Northside..... it is very rundown and ghetto on most of the Northside..... same goes for alot of the Southeast (not including Cornhill by the river)

As far as suburbs, easily the best bet would be Brighton.... stay away from Greece, Gates, Irondequoit, Henrietta

It is very hit and miss up there for sure, not the most tolerant area but not overly bad

Old 06-14-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Don't lets some fools tell you to live on the Northside...it is very rundown and ghetto on most of the Northside...
I don’t think anyone has suggested the NE quadrant. It’s true that the NE has some of the most troubled and run down areas of the city; but not every part of the NE is troubled or run down. There are actually several very nice areas in the NE ie: North Winton/Merchants, Homestead Heights, Northland-Lyceum, a few blocks in 14621, and about a 3rd of the Beechwood neighborhood are all fine. ---With that said I wouldn’t recommend these areas to OP because they tend to be quieter residential areas with few clubs, restaurants and other services for young people.
Quote:
Same goes for a lot of the Southeast (not including Cornhill by the river) think Southeast quad (University down to the expressway) the Monroe and Park ave areas
I’m sure you meant to say the Southwest which is where Cornhill is. The bad areas in the SW are nowhere near as bad as the rougher areas in the NE, albeit it does have several rougher blocks that are best avoided. But you could find plenty of nice streets in the SW outside of Corn Hill, if you wanted to.
Quote:
As far as suburbs, easily the best bet would be Brighton.... stay away from Greece, Gates, Irondequoit, Henrietta
If I had to choose any suburb to live in Brighton would be my top pick too. But I don’t get why you’re telling people to stay away from the other areas. None of the other towns you mentioned are unsafe or rundown + not everyone can afford Brighton. Some of the west side suburbs (Greece, Gates, Chili) are more conservative/ working class but none of them are bad areas to live.
Quote:
The truth is that you have to be VERY selective where you live in Rochester if you are gay..... It is very hit and miss up there for sure, not the most tolerant area but not overly bad

In the end I agree with all of the areas you recommended (SE quadrant/ Brighton) but I don’t think you have to be super selective of where you live. Rochester is a fairly progressive city, people here tend to be pretty tolerant compared to other metros.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:00 AM

The comment about Irondequoit is BS. I live in Irondequoit and in my neighborhood(east Irondequoit) there are several gay couples. I see pride flags and nobody seems to give them trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area