Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 08:11 AM

205 posts, read 455,818 times

Advertisements

I hear you. There are many things Rochester can't do that Cleveland has. Yes, Cleveland. So, I assume you would be against the public funds the County wants to give to Medley Center - a mall that was publicly funded in 1990 and has failed. I would also assume that you would be FOR public funds for midtown development (or maybe Hall Falls). Cleveland has made those investments in the city center, rather than a failed ferry or more suburban malls.

If you are still not convinced, visit Buffalo. Bash them if you want, but they have managed to get light rail to downtown as well as save some of their historic buildings.

Rochester has a serious self-esteem problem to be sure. The bones are here. The economy is stronger than many parts of the US. But the smart investments are also NOT being made to address this as they are in Cleveland, Buffalo and Oklahoma City.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:01 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,108,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt357 View Post
well u left after a year so you didnt like it much huh?
As a kid I grew up in queens and the bronx and then to long island. The rochester suburban areas were nice but didn't meet all my needs. That doesn't make it the worst by any means and that was your statement. Sometimes when you go someplace else you realize what you missed in your previous location. Honestly there were tons of places in the south, midwest and outwest that were much worse. I know you think cleveland is better but i've been there many times and the slums runneth over. I have a few friends from the military that I still know from there and they tell me all the time that it keeps getting worse and is not by any means improving. But once again, for some it is what they like or prefer.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:14 PM

244 posts, read 416,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
As a kid I grew up in queens and the bronx and then to long island. The rochester suburban areas were nice but didn't meet all my needs. That doesn't make it the worst by any means and that was your statement. Sometimes when you go someplace else you realize what you missed in your previous location. Honestly there were tons of places in the south, midwest and outwest that were much worse. I know you think cleveland is better but i've been there many times and the slums runneth over. I have a few friends from the military that I still know from there and they tell me all the time that it keeps getting worse and is not by any means improving. But once again, for some it is what they like or prefer.

90% of rochester is a ghetto so id say the slums runneth over.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:27 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,306,190 times
Quote:
Park Ave, East Ave, Upper Monroe, Northland-Lyceum, the 19th Ward, Corn Hill, Homestead Heights, Swillburg, NOTA, the South Wedge, Maplewood, Charlotte, Grove Place, Browncroft, High Falls, Highland, the Susan B. Anthony neighborhood, the East End and every single surrounding suburb of Rochester all say hello.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:34 PM

244 posts, read 416,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Park Ave, East Ave, Upper Monroe, Northland-Lyceum, the 19th Ward, Corn Hill, Homestead Heights, Swillburg, NOTA, the South Wedge, Maplewood, Charlotte, Grove Place, Browncroft, High Falls, Highland, the Susan B. Anthony neighborhood, the East End and every single surrounding suburb of Rochester all say hello.

the southeast side is a tiny part of the city, the 10 %

Old 06-17-2012, 10:41 PM

101 posts, read 295,661 times
I am sure East Saint Louis is better than Rochester.

Yeah a 101 out of 100,000 murder rate for East Saint Louis the 3rd highest murder rate in the world behind Jaurez Mexico & Paracas Venezuela.

East Saint Louis doesn't have such great weather. It is a hot humid bowl. It gets really bad severe thunderstorms with really bad hail & even tornando potential.

East Saint Louis get's pretty bad winters too. They can can get bad snow storms. (But yeah not as bad as Rochester)

Not to mention they can also get bad earth quakes due to being quite close to the New Madrid fault line.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:12 AM

92,666 posts, read 122,967,429 times
Quote:
the southeast side is a tiny part of the city, the 10 %
All of those neighborhoods aren't in the Southeast and that whole quarter of the city is pretty much fine.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:50 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,108,063 times
Quote:
Did you have a girl that dumped you or were you picked on or could you not find a job? This sounds a little bit deeper than what you are claiming. There's alot more that you aren't telling us. Why don't you give us the full story on why you have such hatred for the area.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:35 AM

205 posts, read 455,818 times
Quote:
Did you have a girl that dumped you or were you picked on or could you not find a job? This sounds a little bit deeper than what you are claiming. There's alot more that you aren't telling us. Why don't you give us the full story on why you have such hatred for the area.

LOL - I think you nailed it!

Old 06-18-2012, 12:13 PM

5,605 posts, read 4,021,235 times
Quote:
We should all just ignore hime. He would be unhappy no matter where he lives. He's just a typical "glass is 1/4 full" type of person, although in his case it's 3/4 empty.

Write whoever or whatever you have a beef with a letter. Just don't mail it. A time proven technique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area