Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What areas should we NOT look to live in, in the Rochester Area?
Central City / 19th Ward 9 60.00%
Charlotte 2 13.33%
Susan B. Anthony 7 46.67%
ANYWHERE inside the city is no good!! 5 33.33%
East Rochester 1 6.67%
Western Suburbs 1 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:57 PM

525 posts, read 1,827,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
OKay - - so what ARE some GOOD Zipcodes, within the city of Rochester, then?????
I'd go by neighborhood rather than zip code (14621 being the exception, stay out of there). Check out this site...Rochester Neighborhoods - Rochester NY City Living (http://www.rochestercityliving.com/neighborhoods/neighbor.html - broken link)...

Based on the prior posts, I'd check out Cobbs Hill, South Wedge, Swillburg, Upper Monroe, maybe Culver-Winton-Main and North Winton Village. Park-Meigs is nice too, but probably over $130k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 08:49 AM

803 posts, read 2,969,899 times
Well, we drove up there for the weekend, and saw some WONDERFUL housing in the Irondequoit and SE City areas!.... So MUCH house for the money, and the poeple were all very friendly and helpful. I think we've found an agent, and I hope we'll be moving up there, soon!

THANKS to everyone who offered help and their advice!---By the way, you were right about 14621... all along Joseph and surrounding streets, it was such a stark contrast to the rest of Rochester, that it made it plainly obvious to us, where to avoid!---MUCH easier to see, thanpreviously thought, from the outside viewpoint.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:21 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
The area of Brighton around the 12 corners which is at Monroe, Winton, elmwood aves is a good bet. There are nice houses in the area on streets near the corners like avalon and cobb streets etc. The area is centrally located and has public transit going through there. It is also right next to Brighton high school (one of the best!) and kids could walk to it in decent weather. Don't know about cost of houses there, but it seems that there is a mix of big and smaller type homes that might fit your bill. Good luck.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
The area of Brighton around the 12 corners which is at Monroe, Winton, elmwood aves is a good bet. There are nice houses in the area on streets near the corners like avalon and cobb streets etc. The area is centrally located and has public transit going through there. It is also right next to Brighton high school (one of the best!) and kids could walk to it in decent weather. Don't know about cost of houses there, but it seems that there is a mix of big and smaller type homes that might fit your bill. Good luck.
Well, we actually had occasion to stay in that area over the weekend, at the "Towpath" Hotel, and in walking the area, I agree with you, entirely. The only downside, is that housing in the area seems to be more in the $200-300K range, which would push up the mortgage costs too high for our means.

But we did love the BIG yards and the well-kempt housing stock. We kinda' used that area as a template for the other areas we looked in, and compared and contrasted to the houses we saw near the Monroe/Roosevelt area.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:25 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,856,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
Hey, Oscar... scout around throughout the thread and I think you'll find a bunch of your questions answered. Also, there seems to be at least one Real Estate agent on here, ready to answer questions and perhaps gain some new business!!!
Thanks for the plug, but I am unable to help specifically with Rochester, now Buffalo and the burbs around here thats a different story!
Keep checking and find a good agent in Rochester, they can really save you time and headaches if you find a good one!!
Colleen

Old 10-23-2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
Thanks for the plug, but I am unable to help specifically with Rochester, now Buffalo and the burbs around here thats a different story!
Keep checking and find a good agent in Rochester, they can really save you time and headaches if you find a good one!!
Colleen
Thanks!--- We actually met with an Elaine Hanford, at Nothnagle... can you offer any insight as to her reputation or the rep of the company themselves?

Old 10-23-2007, 08:52 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
Nothnagle is the largest real estate agency in Rochester, and imo the best. They definitely have the best website. You can specify price, house style, school district, ammenities, everything you want....you can even search for houses by the street they are on, its great. And, since it is definitely something on everyone's mind when buying a house in Rochester or anywhere in NY, they also give the property taxes. Pretty much all of the listings have a slideshow of pictures too..something that the "big dog" realtor.com doesn't have as I became very frustrated with when searching for my house.

BTW in case anyone on here is wondering why its been so long since I've posted a comment and why my username is now "i'minformed2"....its because for whatever reason, i was unable to log in automaticaly (without typing the password) one day, and I have forgotten my password. When I requested them to email me the password, the email never came. I must have tried at least 20 times...kind of weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area