U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 07:48 PM

9 posts, read 19,532 times

Advertisements

Lol you guys make this easy because you can not admit the the true. i know.you will flip this some How so i will laugh now. How many doctors do you know or see in Rochester that grew up there ? How man y business owners
that grow up there ? How many locals own car dealerships that grew up there? the facts are the facts talk about the good and talk about the bad don't defend the bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 09:17 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,654,410 times
old716, where were you educated? I can't even understand your posts. Please let me know so that I don't move there

Old 08-16-2012, 09:23 PM

Lol fact Google unemployed rate Rochester NY. 9% job growth -103 .

Old 08-16-2012, 09:27 PM

Good old Rochester just because someone might not be as educated as you dose not mean they are wrong. Good old Rochester looking down on people.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:00 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,600,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old716 View Post
Lol you guys make this easy because you can not admit the the true. i know.you will flip this some How so i will laugh now. How many doctors do you know or see in Rochester that grew up there ? How man y business owners
that grow up there ? How many locals own car dealerships that grew up there? the facts are the facts talk about the good and talk about the bad don't defend the bad.
Doctors and business owners that grew up here? I know a few.. Car dealers... can't say that I know any.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:56 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,860,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerNYCinRochester View Post
There are a select number of people who are Rochester cheerleaders on this message board. They will defend Rochester and spin all to the positive.
The reality is that Rochester, NY is in economic decline, there are very limited professional career opportunities. There is a decline in the population under 30 years old. Young people graduate from college and find jobs out of the Rochester area. Most of them don't return to Rochester because there are limited career opportunities in Rochester.
Any good real estate agent will tell you that you need first time home buyers to keep a good housing stock and for price appreciation. Rochester house prices will consistently decline. Within 15 years Rochester will be a ghost-town.

Your prediction here is made out of completely false "facts".....Rochester is actually one of the very few real estate markets in the country that has a stable/growing real estate market. Home prices here are not declining and are actually increasing unlike most of the former boomtowns in the south and west (especially Florida and Arizona/California/Nevada). Rochester has also been well above average in per-capita job creation and one of the first metros in the country to recover the number of jobs lost during the recession. And no, they are not public sector or fast food jobs either, they are concentrated in the high-tech, medical research (UofR is a private university as is RIT), construction, and professional/business financial fields. Compare the unemployment rate and job growth of Rochester with some of the major southern metros where everyone seems to think the streets are paved with gold.

Rochester, NY Economy at a Glance

Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC Economy at a Glance

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Economy at a Glance

Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL Economy at a Glance

Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL Economy at a Glance

Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL Economy at a Glance

Old 08-17-2012, 09:59 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,860,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZinniaDreamer View Post
Psst....got a clue for you. There is a growing segment of America that is in decline. We have peaked and now sliding backwards. Our infrastructures are dissolving, our jobs are disappearing, the differential between the have/have nots is escalating.....

There are segments of the country that are booming as a result of the ship-jumping following the non- depression economy of 2008 and beyond but ask anyone who lived there prior. Those areas are saturated, unstructured, confused camps of disillusions as people discover nice weather is not insulation to rising taxes, undeveloped services, overburdened social services like schools and medical care etc.

So back to Rochester.

Yes, it has it's drawbacks of being a conservative, slow moving city with pockets of decay that are bone deep. But there are fabulous museums/cultural events, top-notch schools/colleges, top-notch medical services, gorgeous natural resources including the future golden cash cow; fresh water and plenty of it. We have hills and valleys galore that are stunning and a days drive from the largest most vibrant cities on earth. And the winter snow and cloudiness is depressing for many although recent treads show a change for the better with snow amounts diminishing over the last few decades considerably.

Would I love to live somewhere else? Yeah. Let me twitch my nose and let me land on a tropical island. But the grand kids would grow up with a grandmother they never knew and my kids would become distant relatives. And in the end, when you look around, it's not the weather or the pretty houses, or the fancy bistros where all the cool people hang....or at least for many of us. It's the personally relationships that keep us here.

For the foot loose and fancy free, this is hard to wrap their heads around.

So they disparage our living here on the sinking ship they call Rochester.

Funny how often they come back from their new found paradises to knock Rochester in any way they can.... Makes me wonder if deep down, they really miss it themselves.....

such a spot on analysis of the basher ex-pats! I know because I was once one of them myself! hahaha

Old 08-20-2012, 09:27 AM

1,030 posts, read 2,763,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
such a spot on analysis of the basher ex-pats! I know because I was once one of them myself! hahaha
Yeah I have a relative in "Utopia", NC and when he's here (which is surprisingly often when it's so perfect in the Triangle) it's how greatttt the: weather, food, air, roads, stores, street lights, sidewalks, silverware, the clouds, the lakes are compared to how bad we have it.

Then we visited the area over the last three springs. Yes, it's a very lovely and newly built-up area. But the traffic and the zoom zoom and everyone seeming like they are on a dead run to somewhere more important than you.....WOW!!!!!

I felt like we were on a merry go round that wouldn't stop!!

It was so good to get back to my Finger Lakes hillside home with my view and peace and quiet.....

So yes, like I said, the ones that moved seemed so heck-bent on disparaging this area you wonder if A) we missed something there that they see or B) they are still trying to convince themselves they made the right choice....

To each their own....once the grand kids began arriving, we took the moving card out of the picture and just travel when the fancy strikes us.

But try entering one of the forums in the NC area and say you don't like it there....ouch!

Old 04-02-2013, 12:03 PM

8 posts, read 9,701 times
You're nuts. None of this crap is true. Rochester is one of the BIGGEST, most racist counties in the world. Manners are terrible and the way people talk to you in Colleges and other places is ridiculous. Crime rate is higher than ever you have black people destroying low income housing for other people. You can't live in the suburbs on section 8 or if you are disabled or elderly you have to live in the ghetto. Equal housing opportunity is joke. Rarely ever shines I can't wait to leave.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:52 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,654,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libragirl80 View Post
You're nuts. None of this crap is true. Rochester is one of the BIGGEST, most racist counties in the world. Manners are terrible and the way people talk to you in Colleges and other places is ridiculous. Crime rate is higher than ever you have black people destroying low income housing for other people. You can't live in the suburbs on section 8 or if you are disabled or elderly you have to live in the ghetto. Equal housing opportunity is joke. Rarely ever shines I can't wait to leave.
Just curious, but how important is consistency in Rochester County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area