Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 09:09 PM

5 posts, read 50,586 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Rochester this spring and want to rent an apartment for a while before I buy a condo/townhouse. Safety is a big concern for me as I am a divorced female and don't know which area to steer clear of. I travel in my job so the apartment must be within a 30" commute to the airport.
Does anyone have any advice? I've been checking Craig's list for suitable apartments and also the online D & C newspaper.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 01:06 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,544,738 times
First things first....do you want to be in the city of Rochester or in the suburbs? The Airport is on the border of the city of Rochester and the suburb of Gates...but is also very close to Greece and Brighton.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:26 PM

I guess I'd rather be in the suburbs but the city might be okay if the neighborhood was safe and relatively quiet.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:59 PM

The neighborhoods closest to the airport aren't exactly the nicests part of the city....far from it actually. You'd probably rather be in the suburbs of Greece or Brighton, or on the MUCH nicer east side of the city (the airport borders the west side). It will probably be easier to find a nice apartment/condo/townhome in the Park Avenue area of the city or downtown though....the suburbs are virtually all single-family owner occupied homes.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:12 PM

Okay. That is good information to know. 30" from the airport is acceptable. I've heard the Park ave area is nice and will follow up on that lead. I like a quieter area and hope to find a apartment/townhouse that is not geared for college kids. There is nothing wrong with college kids, mind you, but I'd rather not be subject to loud music,etc.
Thanks for your help!!

Old 03-07-2007, 02:41 PM

No problem....you will indeed find your fair share of college students living in the Park Avenue area....but there are also plenty of mature young urban professionals and middle aged empty nesters there as well.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:12 AM

12 posts, read 34,959 times
Default Stay in the suburbs

If you want a safe place to stay and close to shopping I would suggest you stay in the suburbs. Any suburb of Rochester is less than 30 minutes from the airport. In the suburbs you don't have the parking problems and while Park Avenue is very trendy it's still geared toward a younger crowd. I'm more familiar with the East side of Rochester (Fairport, Penfield, Webster, etc), but any suburb is nice. Check around though to make sure you get an apartment in a good neighborhood and near your work.
If you can think of 3 or 4 things you'd like to be near-let me know and possibly I can help steer you in the right direction of what suburb offers them. I sincerely hope you like Rochester.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:14 AM

31 posts, read 152,776 times
Greece is an excellent spot, Penfield also. The city proper is like any other in the US, good and bad, with no defination.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:30 PM

Thank you everyone for all the helpful info. I work from my home office so being "close to work" does not apply-only need to within 30" of airport. I like to take walks after dinner, visit the local coffee shop and things like that. So the area would need to be safe enough to walk by myself.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:55 PM

Its sounding like you are more of a city-like person. Personally I'd rather live in the suburbs so my bias would be to say live in Greece, Brighton, Henrietta etc.....but from what your interets seem to be and the lifestyle you apperciate...I think you'd be happier in the Park Ave area of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area