U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 03:08 PM

9 posts, read 19,589 times

Advertisements

Hello to all. I moved from Rochester about 10 years back down to SC. There are many great things about Rochester. I read the posts from people who moved from ROC down south and they decided to move back north. I don't think it is fair when you post , so glad to be back in ROC. You can do anything in the summer I can go out side because it is not to hot. Really you can't go out at all. That is just like some one moving from ROC saying the place sucks you have to stay in all winter. Just remember 3 mos of hot weather 9 mos of great weather. ROC tons of winter activities and a nice summer. I DO NOT BELIEVE YOU JUST MOVE BACK BECAUSE OF 3MOS OF HOT WEATHER. Be honest it was hard for you to feel at home and maybe missed family. BTW I had fun out side this summer like all others. when you talk about the food and people down south and How ROC is better. That is why you get upset with people from NYC that move there for doing the same. I know plenty of people that moved south and would never more back and i know people who have. But they don't view city data. So when you read city data it seems all the people move back and kiss the ground in the north and ROC is the best place on earth to live and raise a family. It is funny look at all the people in this world Are the all from ROC and did they not have a great place to live and raise their family's . Why when some one don't like a place they moved they have to put it down. I love SC and I love ROC. And all other places I have visited. I learned a great deal listening to others options and ideas . Don't forget what is really the home pride in western NY ? Think all the big chains are down south Yes even western NY and everybody shops their and forgets the mom and pop shops and they close down all over western NY also. How come you complain about the south that all they have are chain stores look all around you. And at last enjoy. Sept that is one of the greatest months in ROC. Don't stay in and miss the nice out doors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 03:12 PM

9 posts, read 19,589 times
Sorry for the typos opions and others

Old 08-06-2012, 07:39 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,901,922 times
I have always known and expressed that our main reason for moving back to Rochester from down south was we missed the hometown feel and being near our families...as have most people on this forum who have "boomeranged"....so I don't know where this "admit it" tone is coming from. Yes, it is a plus to have a much more pleasant summer here than they had down in NC too, but that wasn't the "main" reason for most people who have returned and I don't think most posters on here express that as being their main reason for returning. I don't think anyone has ever claimed that Rochester is "the only" place to settle down and raise a family or that one couldn't do that in most other places in the country....just that this area really IS a great place to live and raise a family especially if it is your hometown. Same could be said by anyone from any area of the country. I think you have it completely backwards in regards to the city-data bias as well....that may be how it is on this thread...mostly people talking about how much they prefer living up north than down south (or out west, or wherever it was they have moved to Rochester from) but if you are to read threads in transplant-heavy states...most notably NC....you'll see that there are far more "land of milk and honey" recent transplant types who post in those threads, bashing their native hometowns and praising their new location for being utopia.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:26 PM

16 posts, read 33,019 times
Really Rochester Really. Read the posts. They make it sound returning to Rochester is life saving and It just came in time. People who have left to move down south and not returning or some one thinking of going down south are stupid . You wonder why people in the south feel the way they do. Then How come it is always said couldnt take another summer traped in the air condition oh now i love the summer being out side. what the heat is not on in Rochester from oct sometimes thru april .Don't you then leave a heated house to get into a heated car you started to heat up before you got in then go inside your heated job.Really Rochester Really . Then you have people in Rochester who lived there for 5 or so years . They do not know what a real Rochester winters are. I love Rochester Not the misleading and condescending posts. Rochester is a great place to raise a family with a good COL.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:45 AM

30 posts, read 81,646 times
Hi All, My family and I are moving to Rochester in December of this year. I have been reading the posts here and there is so much different information about Rochester. I wish I could get some solid information. I hear it is beautiful, msafe and a great place for raising a family. Can anyone shead some light for me? I will be looking for a realtor in the next week or so to help with a rental house until we decide to buy. We an Urban family, but I hear that Rochester is a larger city upstate and has alot of everything. I am a Psychologist and specialize in Domestic Violence, Crime Victims and Substance Abuse, I am sure they have a need for that speciality in Rochester as welll as other cities. Were relocating from Houston. Any and all information will be appreciated...

Happy day to all,
Sidi & Yakti

Old 10-23-2012, 01:16 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,761,444 times
I moved from the Albany area to South Carolina to the Finger Lakes. I couldn't stand living in SC. It wasn't hot for 3 months of the year where I lived. The a/c went on mid-March and was on until Thanksgiving. That's far from 3 months.

Partly why people think the food tastes better from Rochester is that is where they are originally from. So it's home. I never found good Italian restaurants, but there were 80 million Mexican restaurants all over which I had no interest in.

And I'm thrilled as a pig in mud to have Wegman's over Kroger!

Old 10-28-2012, 07:55 AM

244 posts, read 352,601 times
wegmans is overrated , safeway blows it away they even deliver

Old 10-28-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt357 View Post
wegmans is overrated , safeway blows it away they even deliver
Considering, Wegman's is the #1 grocery store in the country, I wouldn't say it's overrated. If you've ever lived anywhere where you only had access to crappy grocery stores that aren't open past 10 pm during the week and 9 pm on weekends, then you'd be super thankful for Wegman's.

Safeway isn't everywhere. Never heard of them and they aren't in my neck of the woods. I have Wegman's, Tops, and Big M in my area. I'm happy with them. I prefer Wegman's, but do shop the other two for sale items.

And I would never have my groceries delivered. I want to pick out what I purchase. What I consider a fresh, good looking pepper and what others would grab are not equal. I am VERY fussy about produce and how my bags are packed so delivery is never going to happen here. Other people don't care and that's fine for them. I can't tell you how many times I've had eggs and bread bagged with things they never should have been. Bleach and eggs do NOT mix!

Old 10-28-2012, 10:01 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,628,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Considering, Wegman's is the #1 grocery store in the country, I wouldn't say it's overrated. If you've ever lived anywhere where you only had access to crappy grocery stores that aren't open past 10 pm during the week and 9 pm on weekends, then you'd be super thankful for Wegman's.

Safeway isn't everywhere. Never heard of them and they aren't in my neck of the woods. I have Wegman's, Tops, and Big M in my area. I'm happy with them. I prefer Wegman's, but do shop the other two for sale items.

And I would never have my groceries delivered. I want to pick out what I purchase. What I consider a fresh, good looking pepper and what others would grab are not equal. I am VERY fussy about produce and how my bags are packed so delivery is never going to happen here. Other people don't care and that's fine for them. I can't tell you how many times I've had eggs and bread bagged with things they never should have been. Bleach and eggs do NOT mix!
If you look at that usernames postings, he is clearly trolling.
I've been to safeways. They aren't anything special.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
If you look at that usernames postings, he is clearly trolling.
I've been to safeways. They aren't anything special.
The name doesn't sound special. The name Safeway sort of sounds like a low-end kind of place. Don't know if it is. Never been to one and never heard of it until now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area