Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 08:08 AM

5,695 posts, read 4,093,071 times

Advertisements

Tops is closing 5 Rochester area stores leaving only 10 stores. (33%). If these stores weren't profitable, and they're giving away 1/3 of their market share, how much longer can they survive?

https://www.democratandchronicle.com...ra/1144116002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 04:07 PM

61 posts, read 50,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Tops is closing 5 Rochester area stores leaving only 10 stores. (33%). If these stores weren't profitable, and they're giving away 1/3 of their market share, how much longer can they survive?

https://www.democratandchronicle.com...ra/1144116002/
Tops is quite popular despite rumors. I'll say they will continue to survive and might even try to get their stores opened again.

Old 12-25-2018, 01:32 PM

186 posts, read 135,810 times
Tops got desperate years ago and bought out a company called "Big M" which was a very unpopular grocery chain. Tops has been asking for trouble since taking over failing grocery businesses. When you buy a business you inherit their problems and therefor have to pay, they weren't making enough money in certain stores and got those stores shutdown because they didn't have the revenue to pay off the debt, one of the reasons Tops filed for Bankruptcy.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:39 PM

384 posts, read 272,679 times
I actually liked Big M. Their gut buster subs were a frequent staple of my diet.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:04 PM

61 posts, read 50,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres4evR View Post
Tops got desperate years ago and bought out a company called "Big M" which was a very unpopular grocery chain. Tops has been asking for trouble since taking over failing grocery businesses. When you buy a business you inherit their problems and therefor have to pay, they weren't making enough money in certain stores and got those stores shutdown because they didn't have the revenue to pay off the debt, one of the reasons Tops filed for Bankruptcy.
You're right on the money with that statement. I see there is a possible pun here but I'm not going to Tops anymore. They a choice of which stores would be closing, they didn't have to choose the ones with debt owed but yes they were definitely asking for trouble. I don't for one second believe they even put up a fight to let more stores stay open they just caved-in to the powers that be and closed stores.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:02 AM

I happened to visit the Tops on Mt. Read Blvd the other day. Their flyer comes in the mail every week and I thought I'd check out some of the "deals". What a terrible layout that store has. Very confusing and lots of wasted space. I could have spent more money in there, but couldn't find anything.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:00 AM

384 posts, read 355,934 times
Quote:
I happened to visit the Tops on Mt. Read Blvd the other day. Their flyer comes in the mail every week and I thought I'd check out some of the "deals". What a terrible layout that store has. Very confusing and lots of wasted space. I could have spent more money in there, but couldn't find anything.
To be honest, I could say that about any Wegmans that isn't Pittsford, since that's where I always shop and that's the one I "know". I even work by the Webster(Holt Rd) Wegmans and am completely lost any time I go in there to get anything other than prepared foods, because the layout is nowhere close to Pittsford. East Ave is another weird one, can never find anything in that store.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:06 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
Quote:
YES! The confusion is palpable. On the very rare occasion that we go into Tops, we stop at Customer Service and ask rather than search up and down the isles.

There's something unnatural about the lighting. It bothers my eyes.Their fresh bakery products are terrible too.

If a store owner anticipates making 3 million in profit every year, but only clears a profit of 2.5 million, does he consider that "a half-a-million loss?

ALSO... if you have the choice of shopping at a smaller store, would you? Do you? We never see elderly people shopping Wegman's mega store. Where do they shop? We loved the Big M because we didn't have to walk the north forty to find everything. Though small, they had everything we needed.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenny View Post
To be honest, I could say that about any Wegmans that isn't Pittsford, since that's where I always shop and that's the one I "know". I even work by the Webster(Holt Rd) Wegmans and am completely lost any time I go in there to get anything other than prepared foods, because the layout is nowhere close to Pittsford. East Ave is another weird one, can never find anything in that store.

It does seem like all Wegmans are a little different, but they have isles and are easy to navigate.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post

ALSO... if you have the choice of shopping at a smaller store, would you? Do you? We never see elderly people shopping Wegman's mega store. Where do they shop? We loved the Big M because we didn't have to walk the north forty to find everything. Though small, they had everything we needed.

Maybe it depends on when you go. I usually see a lot of older folks in the mornings. I also see a lot of buses from senior centers too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area