U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 08:51 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,406,768 times

Advertisements

My daughter has applied for a job in Canandaigua. Can anyone tell me what it's like, since we've never been. Weather, rentals, things to do, etc. It would be her first move after college and I'd like to get a sense of what it's like to live there. In Vt presently but they get a lot of snow I hear. How about safety? Cost of living? Live in Canandaigua or are towns nearby better. Thanks for any info you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 10:22 AM

56,121 posts, read 80,195,111 times
Canandaigua is very nice. It is a small city of about 11,000 on Canandaigua Lake in the Finger Lakes region. It is a safe city from what I've seen from my time there. Here is some more information on the area: Canandaigua Chamber of Commerce : Supporting tourism, a healthy business climate and responsible economic growth.

Canandaigua New York - Your Guide to Beautiful Downtown Canandaigua, NY

Canandaigua Wine Trail - Canandaigua, New York, Finger Lakes Wine, Wineries, New York Wine, Vineyard, Travel, Tourism, Wine Trails, Seneca Wine Trail, Keuka Wine Trail, Cayuga Wine Trail, Niagara Wine Trail, Wine Events

Canandaigua, NY*
Canandaigua (city), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Town of Canandaigua, New York, USA
Canandaigua (town), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MPNnow
Finger Lakes Daily News Mobile

Old 08-15-2012, 06:34 PM

200 posts, read 528,927 times
Very safe, and very affordable. Typical rent for the area, with a decent 1BR running around $600-800. I'd prefer to live there over anywhere else in Ontario county. Great little city. Suburban feel, but a resort town at heart. About 30-45 min from the city (Rochester) depending on traffic. About 5 minutes in the other direction and you'll feel like you're a miles from anywhere. About 15 min to a mall, the downtown area has plenty of cool specialty shops, and most of the major retail chains have a presence. Plenty of good food in the area as well. Sonnenberg (sp?) gardens, the lakefront, parks, Roseland, concerts at CMAC, and the finger lakes wine country will give her a lot to do.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:45 AM

1,030 posts, read 2,763,354 times
Canandaigua has an interesting mix of "have a lots and have nothing's" but is a beautiful area that offers more and more amenities as the years go by.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:23 AM

6,196 posts, read 14,181,827 times
When you visit her, ask her to take you to Sonnenberg Gardens in Canandaigua. It's gorgeous: A Stroll through Sonnenberg Gardens & Mansion in Canandaigua, NY on Vimeo

The Wegmans there is incredible. I was at their "Market Cafe" just a week or so ago.

If you select "Images" on Google and search for "Canandaigua Lake," you'll find many breathtaking views of the lake.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:17 PM

240 posts, read 461,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZinniaDreamer View Post
Canandaigua has an interesting mix of "have a lots and have nothing's" but is a beautiful area that offers more and more amenities as the years go by.
The perfect way to describe Canandaigua. I lived there for about 2 years and you meet a huge variety of people there. As mentioned before, for $600+ you can get a decent one bedroom. The lake is beautiful, but mostly private/beaches you have to pay for. Naples and Honeoye are both nearby (relatively speaking) towns and are also both very nice places to live. However, the rumors of massive snowfall are true, so living outside of the city could be bad news during winter.

It is also very easy to get to I90 and/or Rochester from there so the possibilities are endless.

And it is very safe.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:28 PM

6,196 posts, read 14,181,827 times
Don't worry too much about the snow. I think snowfall has been less in recent years.

If/when it does snow, she can learn to ski at Bristol Mountain, 20 minutes away:

http://www.bristolmt.com

When I was in my twenties, I used to go skiing after work once a week there, and we lived in Rochester.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:25 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,507,282 times
Quick question.....what would be the best airport to fly into should I need to get there on quick notice? Thanks.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:34 PM

240 posts, read 461,912 times
Rochester I would assume.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:47 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,507,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voilalaura View Post
Rochester I would assume.
Thanks, I know that sounds like a dumb question but until very recently I had never even heard of Canandaigua NY! From what I've read here it sounds nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area