U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 07:07 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,881,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
You have never posted any facts, only opinions on how you think Rochester is some kind of progressive world city when in reality, it is a small declining provincial city

Again, your posts show your lack of experience of other places in the nation or you would realize how lame the city is compared to many other cities. You accuse others of as hom attacks.... then do it yourself

Travel some, get educated past GED level, and stop being a hypocrite...... then other people might take you seriously.... its no wonder nobody considers Rochester a viable city to move to, too many close minded people live there who don't know anything about the outside world
You want to know what's really provincial? Moving away from a place and then popping on an internet forum to brag about how much better you have it now that you aren't there anymore. Clearly your new location can't be that exciting if you take time out of your day to come on the internet to talk about Rochester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 11:06 PM

3,518 posts, read 4,390,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
You want to know what's really provincial? Moving away from a place and then popping on an internet forum to brag about how much better you have it now that you aren't there anymore. Clearly your new location can't be that exciting if you take time out of your day to come on the internet to talk about Rochester.
I don't agree. I came into the Rochester forum to comment and reply to threads to help others and I'd assume others do the same. Sometimes commenting instead of complimenting could serve as assistance perhaps to prevent an undue overwhelmingly positive review of Rochester.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

Old 02-05-2013, 12:41 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,649,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I feel that people need to hear the truth, since few people from Rochester tell it on here, it is up to some of us to tell the truth.... like me and several others

Old 02-05-2013, 12:43 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,649,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt357 View Post
mabye you should answer my question (what does rochester have to do that Charleston dosent have?) instead of just saying "your wrong"
He won't answer it since clearly Rochester has nothing (except lots of snow in winter) that Charleston doesn't have. Some people can't handle the truth when confronted with it

Old 02-05-2013, 05:16 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,613,890 times
Quote:
He won't answer it since clearly Rochester has nothing (except lots of snow in winter) that Charleston doesn't have. Some people can't handle the truth when confronted with it
I don't answer him because he is a fake account. If somebody else asks on the other hand.....
A few things of the top of my head are more sports teams to watch. Skiing, snowmobiling, sledding, mountain biking, etc. More outdoor activities in general. The area around Charleston is generally flat so it limits what you can do. Where Charleston lacks in these areas, it has things like better beaches and better architecture.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:19 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,613,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I don't agree. I came into the Rochester forum to comment and reply to threads to help others and I'd assume others do the same. Sometimes commenting instead of complimenting could serve as assistance perhaps to prevent an undue overwhelmingly positive review of Rochester.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD
Nobody on here presents an overwhelmingly positive view of the area. You obviously have not read many of the posts on here. People post the positives and negatives. You don't seem to realize that responding to an exaggerated, negative claim does not mean we think everything about the area is positive. We have all listed pluses and minuses of the area that you people seem to constantly ignore.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:00 AM

244 posts, read 351,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post

As I have said in previous posts, I spend a great deal of time working out of state. I have spent the past 5 out of 10 months somewhere else. So once again, you are wrong(along with many of your other postings).
If we are talking about what people's posts read like, yours read like somebody who has not spent any significant time here past his or her schooling. Your only response to people that challenge your posts are ad hominem attacks or flat out ignoring them.

I think it's pretty funny because when I questioned a statement you made all you did was ignore my question and then insult me. When someone questions a statement I made, I can reply to them and refute what they said with facts.

When someone questions a statement you made All you do is ad hominem attacks or flat out ignoring them, which is what you are accusing me of. In the psychology community this is referred to as textbook projection.

Perhaps you need to see a psychiatrist, I know living in Rochester is no good for your mental health. But there's no need to take it out on me and project your personal problems.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:37 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,390,524 times
I think it's funny the amount of subtle personal attacks on this thread coming from both sides, as if it wasn't obvious to each their own.

It's also funny that I subscribe to two forums here: Rochester and Charleston. The only activity for the Rochester forum for the past few days is this thread. In the Charleston forum, there are a ton of active threads, most of them very positive and encouraging (none of which are bashing the area).

For activities in the Rochester area, if you're going to consider things like "skiing" on that list, then you're obviously thinking a 90-120 minute radius from the area. Some reports call that large area, which includes Canandaigua and Batavia, part of the Rochester-metro (which is an absolute joke). I'm not going to say then there is skiing in the Charleston area, but opening up that radius now allows for Columbia and Savannah to get in on the Charleston list.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,881,353 times
Quote:
I feel that people need to hear the truth, since few people from Rochester tell it on here, it is up to some of us to tell the truth.... like me and several others
Oh I see....YOUR experiences are the "Truth" and others who have had different experiences and viewpoints are "lying". I can't speak for everyone, but when reflecting on why I moved here and enjoy living here; I speak in first person and make a point of saying that these are MY experiences and that they don't necessarily apply to everyone. If you really and truly believe that everyone should think exactly like you do about Rochester (or any other place or any other thing/topic) I suppose there's nothing I or anyone else can do to make you realize how shortsighted that is.

I'm assuming you are pretty young and someday, hopefully sooner rather than later, you will realize that the phrase "different strokes for different folks" pretty much applies across the board. What you like and dislike does not prohibit other people from taking opposing viewpoints.

I really must say I'm curious to know what "lies" you see so regularly told on here? I have never seen any of the "cheerleaders" on here say that property taxes in this region aren't high or that winter isn't cold, snowy, and cloudy....since those seem to be the things you harp on the most I really wonder if you think that means nobody could live here and enjoy it? I know that I can certainly understand why those things would make some people not want to live here and that's fine and if they choose to live somewhere else that makes them happier, that really is awesome for them. But I know plenty of people who are perfectly happy living here. Many of whom like myself actually HAVE lived other places so it's not just "provincial ignorance". Apparently though according to you they are all lying.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:15 AM

56,307 posts, read 80,520,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I think it's funny the amount of subtle personal attacks on this thread coming from both sides, as if it wasn't obvious to each their own.

It's also funny that I subscribe to two forums here: Rochester and Charleston. The only activity for the Rochester forum for the past few days is this thread. In the Charleston forum, there are a ton of active threads, most of them very positive and encouraging (none of which are bashing the area).

For activities in the Rochester area, if you're going to consider things like "skiing" on that list, then you're obviously thinking a 90-120 minute radius from the area. Some reports call that large area, which includes Canandaigua and Batavia, part of the Rochester-metro (which is an absolute joke). I'm not going to say then there is skiing in the Charleston area, but opening up that radius now allows for Columbia and Savannah to get in on the Charleston list.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2
You have to keep in mind the size of the metros, as the Charleston and Syracuse metros are roughly the same in terms of population. Rochester, as a metro, has about 350,000 more people than both. So, a place like Bristol Mountain, which is in Ontario County, is in the Rochester metro area. Batavia is in Genesee County, which isn't in the Rochester metro currently.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-05-2013 at 08:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area