Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 11:10 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt357 View Post
It dosent get above 90 anywhere in SC for more than a day or 2 in the summer its usually 82-85 at it highest.
You're VERY wrong. I can tell you've never lived there. The weather in Charleston is different from Greenville is different from Rock Hill is different from Columbia is different from Aiken is different from Myrtle Beach....I could go on. The weather varies greatly in the state much like New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
To me, the beach is 80% of what I'm after. Restaurants (10%), aquarium (5%), everything else (5%, waterparks, parks, etc.).

Of course, the 20 minute drive was a bit exaggerated for effect, but please do share what is on your top 10 list. Perhaps 20 minutes to get a subpar steak? 20 minutes to get heated frozen seafood? 20 minutes to walk a beach coated with algae? 20 minutes to walk near a waterfall surrounded by abandoned buildings? 20 minutes to an empty ferry port? 20 minutes to a bar that's either a sausage fest or an abundance of mediocre women? 20 minutes to a poorly designed zoo? 20 minutes to a rose festival full of mostly dying roses? 20 minutes to a festival based on purple flowers that may or may not be in bloom at the time, but here is some mediocre festival food and D-rate musicians to keep you happy?
Wait until you see how crowded those beaches are with tourists. And the heat can be very unbearable. Natives even complain about it. So it's not being made up by a Northerner. You haven't lived there yet. You will have a different perspective. Once you live there your thoughts will change. I moved to SC with a very positive attitude. I wanted the hell out of NY very badly and couldn't wait for a fresh start. Here we are 21/2 years later and we're back in NY. And in the development i lived in there were 5 families last year that moved back home. no one was there more than 3 1/2 years. Enjoy Charleston and the expenses that go with living there. Oh and the tourists!

Old 01-29-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Ok I get the fact that you have different opinions about what is good vs bad ideal vs crappy but you REALLY need to stop with the blatantly false statements on things where you have NO idea what you aer talking about. It gets MUCH MUCH MUCH hotter than that in the Carolinas during summer...I know...I lived there for 13 years. Have you ever even been to these places down south you claim are so great? You claimed earlier that Miami was a safe city with great schools! hahahahah. Average temps of 82-85 at the highest is typical summer weather in ROCHESTER. Typical summer weather in most of the Carolinas outside the mountains of NC is 90s with high humidity and very stagnant air and heat index into the 100s. This is typical from late May thru Mid September.

I find it hilarious that so many of the people who so staunchly claim that Rochester/Upstate NY is so inferior to so many other places are people who have NEVER LIVED ANYWHERE ELSE! No place is perfect and Rochester certainly is not for everyone and there are plenty of reasons that a person may not like living here. Future or recent expats however, seem incapable of comprehending that their experiences and opinions do not apply to everyone. It's ok that you don't like Rochester and prefer living someplace else; but it's not ok to suggest that people who do like living here "don't know any better". THAT is about as shortsighted a stance as someone can take.
I can't rep you, but I say 1,000 reps for you! Excellent post!

I've been in the NC mountains in the summer when it's in the 90's....holy cow was that hot! Hot, humid, sticky, and stinking from everything just sitting around. Not exactly pleasant.

Yeah we all know Miami has an excellent school system. Oh wait Miami doesn't even exist as a city anymore. The county had to take it over!

You can always spot the ones who've never lived elsewhere and the lalala land they live in. Once you live somewhere else, you learn to appreciate things. You do discover that you miss things. Things you hated or never thought you'd miss. I hear from lots of friends who have relocated to other states - the South and elsewhere - that really want to go home, but can't due to finances and jobs.

I used to HATE snow and winter. I moved back to NY with a very different attitude after living with the a/c on for 8 months of the year. I couldn't breath going out to get my mail and I'd be sweating like I'd worked out for an hour all just by walking down the driveway. My body couldn't handle the heat and humidity. When I moved back, I decided to learn to at least tolerate winter if not enjoy it. Well, I'm disappointed in winter this year! I really want to learn how to snowshoe, but there's NO freaking snow and hasn't been. Who stole winter???? Granted, I'm not ROC or Cuse who seem to have gotten more snow, but man I want snow! Words I NEVER thought I'd ever say!

Old 01-29-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Biking can be done almost anywhere except San Fran!
Why can't you bike in San Francisco? There's bike races there. My husband rode a bike while he was there. He's stil alive to talk about it even!

Old 01-29-2013, 11:48 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Wait until you see how crowded those beaches are with tourists. And the heat can be very unbearable. Natives even complain about it. So it's not being made up by a Northerner. You haven't lived there yet. You will have a different perspective. Once you live there your thoughts will change. I moved to SC with a very positive attitude. I wanted the hell out of NY very badly and couldn't wait for a fresh start. Here we are 21/2 years later and we're back in NY. And in the development i lived in there were 5 families last year that moved back home. no one was there more than 3 1/2 years. Enjoy Charleston and the expenses that go with living there. Oh and the tourists!
I'm pretty sure that I will be not interested in any of the reasons/activities that you enjoy about the area or in general. There's positives and negatives to each area, I just happen to be against different things about this area. Like I mentioned before, feel free to mention your top 10 specific things you like about this area.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-29-2013, 04:21 PM

41 posts, read 42,101 times
I have family who live in Rochester and down south. both sides to this discussion have exaggerated to somewhat of a degree. I visit both places yes in winter and summer. I would say one of the most popular reasons people from Rochester move is due to the weather. If one enjoys out side winter activities then you. will love it. If not then I guess you will not. Other then that Rochester is a great place to live and raise a family. But to say someone is foolish and they should learn how to deal with winter is just wrong and ignorant. The same could be said about someone leaving the south because of the heat. Iminformed2 found the spot to feel at home that is great and best wishes so that makes it a lot easier to forget about the negatives. I am sure there are things he misses about the south. Yes the south heat index in the summer is over 100 that is the truth. To mock an area to make Rochester seem better or make a point is wrong. And to suggest Charleston has less to do then Rochester is completely false and takes away the credibility of the posts. You don't have to talk negative about an area to point out the good about Rochester. My brother complains about the winter every year but loves living in Rochester.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:21 PM

55 posts, read 132,467 times
Quote:
Perhaps 20 minutes to get a subpar steak? 20 minutes to get heated frozen seafood? 20 minutes to walk a beach coated with algae? 20 minutes to walk near a waterfall surrounded by abandoned buildings? 20 minutes to an empty ferry port? 20 minutes to a bar that's either a sausage fest or an abundance of mediocre women? 20 minutes to a poorly designed zoo? 20 minutes to a rose festival full of mostly dying roses? 20 minutes to a festival based on purple flowers that may or may not be in bloom at the time, but here is some mediocre festival food and D-rate musicians to keep you happy?
Ouch.

Well, considering you're 30 years old, I'm not going to argue with you or blame you for wanting to leave. You will be much happier in Charleston, or if not there, Florida.

Priorities change, people value different things. I've been around a little bit and trust me - there is a lot to appreciate about Rochester.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:42 PM

122 posts, read 352,225 times
Oh dear, you are all making Rochester sound like a horrible place to live! It seems like the Buffalo forum there are so many "ex pats" that are trying and dying to get back to Buffalo...should I be concerned about Rochester? (we may be relocating there because of a job)...are the majority of people 'haters' and super negative, anti-Rochester???

Old 01-29-2013, 04:54 PM

41 posts, read 42,101 times
Not at all. I would not be concerned about it at all. If you like living here then you will love it. You really don't run into people complaining about the weather.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:37 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by levitt54 View Post
Not at all. I would not be concerned about it at all. If you like living here then you will love it. You really don't run into people complaining about the weather.
yea, the people that complain about the weather are mostly keyboard warriors. Real life is much different........ actually minus a few prissy girls in their early 20s who complain about everything anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area