Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 04:01 PM

9 posts, read 19,064 times

Advertisements

I am sorry you had such a bad experience. I hope you find what you are looking for in NY. The Finger Lake region is very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 11:47 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
It's hot as heck in North Carolina, too. I hate it. I dream of returning to the Finger Lakes area in the summertime... for every summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
North Carolina is VERY different than South Carolina. I like a lot of areas in NC. I spend a lot of time there both before moving to SC and while living in NY.

SC is hotter than hell. Most of the summer it's over 100 degrees and the humidity here is dreadful. It's very common for it to be 90+% including 100% without rain or fog. People here are not friendly to Northerners at all. I attended a college here for a semester and received a 4.0. At least once a week, my instructor (i had to the same person for all of my classes) tell me to hit I95 and go back where I came from. I didn't even know 95 went into NY until she told me to go home. I Googled it so I would have a snappy come back. Oh hey it goes south too!

I'm in an area just outside of Augusta, GA which has lots of problems. Their trash likes to come over the river and kill people including cops. No joke. 2 cops murdered and 1 shot in less than 6 weeks.

We've been here 2 1/2 years and will be moving back to NY in a few weeks. We're from the Capitol Region and relocating to the Finger Lakes. I've had all the "Southern Hospitality" I can take.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:23 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Brentwood I hope some day you make it back...the Finger Lakes deserves a spirit like you...even if it is just for half the year!

Old 09-08-2012, 06:13 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Brentwood I hope some day you make it back...the Finger Lakes deserves a spirit like you...even if it is just for half the year!
Thanks!

Old 12-17-2012, 12:45 PM

3 posts, read 3,438 times
NO JOBS, HIGH TAXES, COLD WINTERS, HIGH UTILITIES, WINTER DRIVING...if you like that than Rochester is the place for you!

Old 12-17-2012, 01:01 PM

702 posts, read 2,184,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCannonSr1 View Post
NO JOBS, HIGH TAXES, COLD WINTERS, HIGH UTILITIES, WINTER DRIVING...if you like that than Rochester is the place for you!
OK, so I don't know if you noticed, but most of the country has "no jobs".
High utilities? You have got to be kidding me. Have you ever lived outside of Rochester? When I was on RG&E I hardly ever had a bill over $100. Where I am now, we have them around $200 and in the summer closer to $300 bills.
Winter driving... hmm where do I start? Hibernate? Don't drive?

Old 12-17-2012, 01:19 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCannonSr1 View Post
Most of the country has a job shortage issue. NY is actually much better off than many states. High taxes? Yes, they can be higher here in NY than in other states, but you get what you pay for. A decent education system including college, decent roads, roads that are plowed and salted during storms. Plowing and salting costs a lot. There's no way around that.

High utilities? When I lived in SC, my monthly bill was much higher than it is up here! I had my a/c on 9 months of the year.

Winter driving? What does that mean? There's weather? Yeah, it does snow here, but it's not like we get dumped with 15 inches of snow every day. We haven't gotten any snow where I am yet. Not even a dusting! There's a simple solution when there's a lot snow, stay home! Or change your work schedule around. That's what most people do. They suck it up and live with it.

Oh and driving through a hurricane is a blast. Same with storm systems that are dropping tornadoes like flies. Thanks, but I'll stick to the snow. It's much safer.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:12 PM

18 posts, read 21,886 times
Wow you fools that moved from Rochester. Don't you know how family oriented Rochester is can't you don't you remember your neighbors coming over on Friday and Saturday night's for dinner and during the week to play cards. The schools are the best I loved it when my kids teachers would come to my home and bring their homework. I'm so tied of all the things to do in Rochester I am exhausted. Don't you know their is only one supermarket in the US and that is located in Rochester. Don't forget we invested the garbage plate and you can never can the mix s somewhere else . Don't you see all the high paying jobs going unfilled Rochester US booming the best in nys. Wow I'm a jerk for moving away and finding a job and I hate riding my motorcycle in Dec oh I hate buying a new updated home and not paying 6000 in property taxes oh I hate walking in the beach in real sand nit rocks and wash up oh I hate driving in 70 weather oh I hate cooking out year round I hate being able to be out year round in nice weather oh I miss the sunless days I hate the clean streets and all the history to be. seen I hate not freezing and shoveling snow not getting wind burn nit driving in white outs .not paying the high taxes I hate not seeing my investment in my auto tun to rust I hate waking up in Dec to sunny with a breeze oh hate not scraping my windshield my feet getting wet and cold from the snow

Old 12-19-2012, 04:17 PM

18 posts, read 21,886 times
Sorry for the typos. I did not proof read I'm sure that will be mentioned to discredit what I have said. I did not know you needed to be a Harvard graduate to post.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:20 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagecar View Post
Wow you fools that moved from Rochester. Don't you know how family oriented Rochester is can't you don't you remember your neighbors coming over on Friday and Saturday night's for dinner and during the week to play cards. The schools are the best I loved it when my kids teachers would come to my home and bring their homework. I'm so tied of all the things to do in Rochester I am exhausted. Don't you know their is only one supermarket in the US and that is located in Rochester. Don't forget we invested the garbage plate and you can never can the mix s somewhere else . Don't you see all the high paying jobs going unfilled Rochester US booming the best in nys. Wow I'm a jerk for moving away and finding a job and I hate riding my motorcycle in Dec oh I hate buying a new updated home and not paying 6000 in property taxes oh I hate walking in the beach in real sand nit rocks and wash up oh I hate driving in 70 weather oh I hate cooking out year round I hate being able to be out year round in nice weather oh I miss the sunless days I hate the clean streets and all the history to be. seen I hate not freezing and shoveling snow not getting wind burn nit driving in white outs .not paying the high taxes I hate not seeing my investment in my auto tun to rust I hate waking up in Dec to sunny with a breeze oh hate not scraping my windshield my feet getting wet and cold from the snow
First post and it's all negative. How lovely! Well, it's good that you left since you were unhappy. Hope you're truly happy where you are now. Some of us actually DO enjoy living up here! And some of us do spend time outdoors year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area