U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 11:00 AM

30 posts, read 80,931 times

Advertisements

My family and I relocating from Houston to Rochester in December / January, we have heard so much mixed info on this forum were confused. If anyone can share that would be great. Were an Urban family and hear that Rochester is a larger cuty with much to offer. Can someone shead light on the crime rate, Best and worst parts?

Were looking for a realtor to help us find a house to rent, info on housong would also be helpful...

Thank you to all,
Yakti
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 01:48 PM

56,060 posts, read 80,134,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidiyakti View Post
My family and I relocating from Houston to Rochester in December / January, we have heard so much mixed info on this forum were confused. If anyone can share that would be great. Were an Urban family and hear that Rochester is a larger cuty with much to offer. Can someone shead light on the crime rate, Best and worst parts?

Were looking for a realtor to help us find a house to rent, info on housong would also be helpful...

Thank you to all,
Yakti
If you want something urban with good schools, then I would look into the areas of brighton right near the Rochester city limits. Brighton itself has a more walkable feel to it in comparison to other suburbs and the schools are very good. Irondequoit has some areas like this as well.

This could help you in trying to find a home to rent: Rochester Apartments and Rentals on Walk Score

Old 10-18-2012, 02:38 PM

130 posts, read 239,996 times
How much are you looking to spend on the rent?

Old 10-18-2012, 07:37 PM

192 posts, read 444,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidiyakti View Post

Thank you to all,
Yakti
Sorry about the mixed information. There has been some disagreement among different posters about how bad the crime is in the city. One thing that everyone does agree on is that the SE quadrant of the city is safe. You really can’t lose with any of the neighborhoods in the SE, so which area you choose depends on what you’re looking for. If you want a quiet neighborhood check out Cobbs Hill or Highland park; or if you want a more exciting/ urban area you might want to look into either the South Wedge or Park Ave.

In terms of crime yes Rochester does suffer from high rates of both poverty and crime when compared to other cities of the same size. The worst crime and poverty is concentrated in the NE quadrant and to a slightly lesser extent the NW and SW. Although there are also nice neighborhoods in these quadrants too, but again if you choose to live in the SE quadrant you should be fine.

Lastly if schools are a going to be a factor for you, you may want to consider one of the inner ring suburbs instead because the suburban schools are considerably better. All the suburbs safe and a few of them are very close to the city and have street layouts which are pretty similar to the city neighborhoods; as well as old houses.

BTW If you’re interested here is a link to a website which has crime stats for all the county’s in NYS by agency.

http://www.criminaljustice.ny.gov/crimnet/ojsa/indexcrimes/county_totals.htm

Old 10-18-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrion14621 View Post
Sorry about the mixed information. There has been some disagreement among different posters about how bad the crime is in the city. One thing that everyone does agree on is that the SE quadrant of the city is safe. You really canít lose with any of the neighborhoods in the SE, so which area you choose depends on what youíre looking for. If you want a quiet neighborhood check out Cobbs Hill or Highland park; or if you want a more exciting/ urban area you might want to look into either the South Wedge or Park Ave.

In terms of crime yes Rochester does suffer from high rates of both poverty and crime when compared to other cities of the same size. The worst crime and poverty is concentrated in the NE quadrant and to a slightly lesser extent the NW and SW. Although there are also nice neighborhoods in these quadrants too, but again if you choose to live in the SE quadrant you should be fine.

Lastly if schools are a going to be a factor for you, you may want to consider one of the inner ring suburbs instead because the suburban schools are considerably better. All the suburbs safe and a few of them are very close to the city and have street layouts which are pretty similar to the city neighborhoods; as well as old houses.

BTW If youíre interested here is a link to a website which has crime stats for all the countyís in NYS by agency.

http://www.criminaljustice.ny.gov/crimnet/ojsa/indexcrimes/county_totals.htm
Unless the OP decides to go private or can get her child into School of the Arts or certain programs at Wilson Magnet, I agree.

Also, the map on this page can show the OP some valuable information in terms of income and more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Rochester-New-York.html

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-18-2012 at 08:09 PM..

Old 11-02-2012, 06:19 PM

120 posts, read 289,106 times
I lived in the city of Rochester for 18 years. My kids (12 and 9) went to city schools and if we hadn't relocated to Michigan this past summer we probably would have moved to Brighton.

The beautiful think about Rochester is that it "takes 15 minutes" to get anywhere. There are museums and theatre etc downtown but to get there from even a town like Victor might take you 22 minutes. Brighton is on the edge of the city and has excellent schools. Pittsford is a little farther out and also has excellent schools. While I grew up on the Westside, I prefer the Eastside.

As we tell anyone that is looking for homes, look at the taxes. While the houses are quite affordable the taxes are huge. I paid $2,700 on a house assessed as $63,000 in the city of Rochester.

If you want the name of a realtor, send me a Private Message. The one I used to sell my house is excellent and has been in the area for quite a long time and puts 200% effort into everything she does.

Good Luck!

Old 11-08-2012, 12:30 PM

4,546 posts, read 7,005,649 times
You're coming from a huge city like Houston to Rochester...the city itself is basically empty as far as cities go and has alot of bad areas. Brighton is urban/suburban and probably the closest thing you would get to a "city neighborhood" type of area. I think you will be shocked if you are looking for a real city.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
You're coming from a huge city like Houston to Rochester...the city itself is basically empty as far as cities go and has alot of bad areas. Brighton is urban/suburban and probably the closest thing you would get to a "city neighborhood" type of area. I think you will be shocked if you are looking for a real city.
Interestingly, Rochester many be more densely populated than Houston. So, Rochester may be more "urban" in terms of character and not all of the city of Rochester is empty or bad.

Parts of Irondequoit may work as well.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:53 PM

192 posts, read 444,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Rochester is a lot smaller, and perhaps less congested then Houston or any of the other big US cities, but to call it empty is a bit ridiculous. Also if the city is empty then why are you recommending Brighton? I think Brighton is a fine place to live but if your critique of the city is that it’s too quiet then Brighton is even more so.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:06 PM

6,196 posts, read 14,177,583 times
There a high amount of violent crime in downtown Rochester and within the city limits: Rochester, NY Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Rochester - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

I spent much of my life up there. I wouldn't do it now. Suburbs are fine, but I can't imagine living in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area