U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2012, 04:16 PM

12 posts, read 11,165 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Canadian here, going to Rochester for Thanksgiving/Black Friday shopping at Waterloo Outlets and others. Love the US Thanksgiving holiday atmosphere, football, turkey etc. Wife and I have gone past couple years so the Rochester trip is becoming a bit of a tradition for us. (Wish Canada would follow suit, but can't have everything )

Stayed at Staybridge Suites at 1000 Genesee St. last year and booked the Holiday Inn Marketplace this year, rated #2 on Trip Advisor. But have read mixed reviews on the place...is my choice good enough location/quality-wise or is there a better choice such as the Courtyard Marriott in Penfield? Anything else? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 04:29 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,603,546 times
If you are going to Waterloo, some choices on the east side would work better. There is a Hampton Inn in Victor that is near the Thruway that may work for you.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:53 AM

4,550 posts, read 7,013,613 times
a few years ago I stayed at the Woodcliffe, in Fairport/Perinton, and there were alot of women from Canada staying there over Thanksgiving, for outlet shopping. They had buses parked in the lot, told me they come there every year.

It's probably the nicest hotel around that area and I paid like $100 a night, so for two people, it's well worth it, IMO.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:23 PM

12 posts, read 11,165 times
Will check those out. Thanks.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:11 PM

120 posts, read 289,395 times
I just went to Hotels.com and plugged in Arrival on Wed the 21st leaving Sunday the 25th
Came up with Microtel at $72 a night (before taxes) if you're on a budget. I've stayed in them before,they're fine.

But if you want something nicer Woodcliffe is coming in at $139 a night.
There's also a hampton Inn (we've stayd here and it's very nice at $152 a night and while I love my Hampton Inns I think WoodCliffe is much nicer.) Hampton Inn says Fairport but underneath it says Victor/Farmington which is more accurate.
Then there's a couple in between.
Most of these places are within a mile or 2 of Thruway (Route 90) exit 45. And the Waterloo outlets are a short ride east on the Thruway. Plus Eastview mall is right there in Victor.

Have fun!

Old 11-04-2012, 12:07 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,608,768 times
The Woodcliffe is decent, but in my opinion is overrated, unfortunately. My wife and I stayed there 2 years ago for a night getaway after having our first child, and the place just seems outdated and in need of a major renovation and was pretty disappointing. The room was ok (I expect better than ok for a place like this) and the walls were paper thin and you could hear everything going on next to and above you. The bedding was nothing fantastic, and the only thing truly nice about the room was the 32" LCD. The pool area is nice, and the Horizons restaurant is out of this world, but that's about it. If I had to describe the hotel, I'd say it's special while being nothing special, if that makes sense.

The thing with The Woodcliffe is it's hyped up as being a luxury hotel and being the only place like it in Rochester. It certainly has that look and feel, but it needs some work to be truly luxurious in my eyes. And I'm a west sider, so even simple things can be luxurious to me lol. But if you can score a room for 140 a night and don't mind spending some coin on an absolutely excellent dinner one night at the Horizons (if you're going to be in town for more than one night), I say go for it.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:47 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,686,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongol8 View Post
Canadian here, going to Rochester for Thanksgiving/Black Friday shopping at Waterloo Outlets and others. Love the US Thanksgiving holiday atmosphere, football, turkey etc. Wife and I have gone past couple years so the Rochester trip is becoming a bit of a tradition for us. (Wish Canada would follow suit, but can't have everything )
If you'd like to be closer to the Waterloo Outlets and stay in the Finger Lakes, there are a few great choices in Geneva. The outlets are like 15 minutes away.

Geneva on the Lake

Finger Lakes Resorts | Luxury Couples Resort | Geneva On The Lake

Ramada Geneva Lakefront

Ramada Geneva Lakefront

Micotel Inn (this is brand new and just opened)

Microtel Inn and Suites Geneva | Geneva, NY *14456 Hotel

Have a great trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area