Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 05:52 PM

69 posts, read 147,095 times

Advertisements

In previous threads I have received some very kind and informative perspectives as it pertains to my families consideration for relocation to Rochester. In fact, given our own exposure to the city, as well as our own research and inquiries, we are very much trying to facilitate a move.

While all fiscal considerations, including but not limited to, housing costs, day to day living expenses, taxes, prospective exemptions, and insurance premiums are all acceptable to us, the one area of general concern remains employment. It appears every periodical I read, every article I consider, and every bit of data I analyze, tends to contradict the one before it.

For my wife, who works in specialized healthcare, occupational placement will not be a challenge. However, for myself, this obstacle could prove more daunting. For a decade I worked in private finance, specifically financial engineering and business analytics. Most of this work took place in Western Europe and Latin America. However, now settling into my life with my wife, her son, and even her parents, I promised to pursue a different occupational path; one that offered more stability, less travel demands, and allowed for more time at home.

So, as it stands, I plan on starting, I suppose, "from scratch". However despite having searched databases for strong regional companies with deep roots in the Rochester area, I tend to find (what appear to be) limited positions that tend to lend themselves to either entry level sales or public sector manufacturing. Therefore, I guess my question for the members of this forum who reside and work in Rochester is as follows;

What is the job market really like? Where are the jobs in the area? What are the strongest and most fiscally responsible companies in the area? What occupational fields in the area are growing on pace with the local economy?

I am genuinely attempting to find a company with a strong regional presence, as opposed to a national or multi-national presence. I would like to "retire my wings" so-to-speak, and not have to worry about spending so much time in airports and being forced to relocate thousands of miles away.

Thus, any answers or insight anyone can offer, as it pertains to any of my questions herein, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your efforts and perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 06:28 PM

93,294 posts, read 123,941,088 times
I'm thinking that maybe a company like Paychex may be one to look into, given your background: Paychex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://paychex.taleo.net/careersect...moresearch.ftl

I'm sure others will chime in with more.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm thinking that maybe a company like Paychex may be one to look into, given your background: Paychex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://paychex.taleo.net/careersect...moresearch.ftl

I'm sure others will chime in with more.

I did come across their data when I was conducting my research. I considered looking into them more. Thank you for the confirmation that they are worth considering and examing further.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:49 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,883 times
What exactly are you looking to get in to? The same financial/analytic field you're in now or something different?

Be wary of Paychex, I know several people including my wife who were not quite happy as employees and have left to pursue greater things. Unless you've either been there a long time or manage to start in a management position, it's typically a crappy place to work. Pay is abysmal, raises are laughable, management doesn't seem too interested in anything other than playing puppet master, and moral seems to be pretty low depending on where you land. I haven't heard many lower level employees who bust their ass off to move up and succeed have much luck. But maybe in your sector it'd be different, who knows.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:09 PM

192 posts, read 530,614 times
Brighton Securities is pretty well known in the Rochester area you might want to look into them.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
What exactly are you looking to get in to? The same financial/analytic field you're in now or something different?

Be wary of Paychex, I know several people including my wife who were not quite happy as employees and have left to pursue greater things. Unless you've either been there a long time or manage to start in a management position, it's typically a crappy place to work. Pay is abysmal, raises are laughable, management doesn't seem too interested in anything other than playing puppet master, and moral seems to be pretty low depending on where you land. I haven't heard many lower level employees who bust their ass off to move up and succeed have much luck. But maybe in your sector it'd be different, who knows.
Thank you for that real world feedback. It is genuinely appreciated. As it pertains to my work, I was an associate director of business analytics for a hedge fund most recently, and prior to that I was a partner in a small financial services company (225 employees). As far as what it is I do professionally from this point forward, I have no occupational preference; none at all.

However, as indicated in my original post, my objectives strictly pertain to my family. I don't want to live in airports, spend half my time going through customs, and maintain a relationship with my wife via email and skype. I did that for nearly a decade.

All I am looking to do is find a fair and equitable company, with a strong balance sheet, a strong regional presence, and eventual growth and mobility locally. I don't want to get sent all over the globe for client relations and/or advancement opportunities. Between 2004 and 2009 I had to live and/or work in Miami, Philadlephia, Tampa, Boston, Las Vegas, London, Panama, Mexico, and mutliple Carribean locations. All I want now is local, stable, normal, and organized.

I'd work in finance, health care, transportation, logistics, or anything in between. To me, industry is far less relevant than the regional market share the company has in said industry. That being said, I will take into consideration everything I have read on this thread thus far, as well as anything people elect to contribute in the future.

Any and all feedback, positive or negative, is appreciated and considered. So thank you again.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrion14621 View Post
Brighton Securities is pretty well known in the Rochester area you might want to look into them.
Thank You.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:22 AM

Thank you for those suggestions. However, truth be told, I am still in an "exploratory corporate phase". In other words, before I consider applying for any specific job, I am going to find reputable and fiscally stable companies in the area. That way, I will then explore positions within that organization specifically knowing that regardless of where I am hired in their corporate hierarchy, the right opportunities, support, development, and fiscal responsibility exist.

The primary motivation for posting this thread was really the disparity I was finding in Rochester data and resident opinion. Some publications were saying the job market was "awful" and others were calling it "progressively growing". Some data was indicating jobs there were drying up, and other data was supporting the job market as "consistantly expanding". Some people have told me the job market "stinks and is hopeless" and other people have said "you can find a job here if your salary expectations are reasonable". I figured just asking people for their experiences and opinions at this point would be best.

Admittedly, I could easily just contact head hunters, or simply start applying for jobs. However, as an analytical person, collecting data and drawing conclusions is part of my nature. Also, seeing as I have had to move, travel, relocate, and stay in constant motion for years, I want to make sure my next move is my last. In order for that to happen for myself and my family, I need to seek out the right companies, under the right circumstances.

Thank you again.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:45 PM

93,294 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeluzzo View Post
Thank you for those suggestions. However, truth be told, I am still in an "exploratory corporate phase". In other words, before I consider applying for any specific job, I am going to find reputable and fiscally stable companies in the area. That way, I will then explore positions within that organization specifically knowing that regardless of where I am hired in their corporate hierarchy, the right opportunities, support, development, and fiscal responsibility exist.

The primary motivation for posting this thread was really the disparity I was finding in Rochester data and resident opinion. Some publications were saying the job market was "awful" and others were calling it "progressively growing". Some data was indicating jobs there were drying up, and other data was supporting the job market as "consistantly expanding". Some people have told me the job market "stinks and is hopeless" and other people have said "you can find a job here if your salary expectations are reasonable". I figured just asking people for their experiences and opinions at this point would be best.

Admittedly, I could easily just contact head hunters, or simply start applying for jobs. However, as an analytical person, collecting data and drawing conclusions is part of my nature. Also, seeing as I have had to move, travel, relocate, and stay in constant motion for years, I want to make sure my next move is my last. In order for that to happen for myself and my family, I need to seek out the right companies, under the right circumstances.

Thank you again.
This could help in terms of seeing what companies are in the area: Rochester Business Alliance | Welcome to the regional chamber of commerce.

Here's another website that may also help: RochesterWorks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area