U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 02:50 PM

15 posts, read 86,557 times

Advertisements

Hi All! I currently live on Long Island and am interested in Canandaigua. I have some specific questions that I am hoping someone can answer!! I have spent a lot of time reading the posts about the area, and I feel that this could be the place for me!! Regarding the job situation, can someone tell me if there is a need for HVAC and Plumbing/Heating (Including in the Rochester area)? And a rough idea on salary(Is Rochester commuteable?). Also, what type of heat is used, oil or gas? I haven't read a lot of personal opinion on the school district, I have read the stats, but it woul dbe nice to hear from people who have kids in the school. Are there a lot of after-school activities? How would you rate the schools? What about pre-school and/or daycare ( currently pay $12,500 yr daycare ) What are there prices like, and can someone recommend one? I will not be buying a home, I prefer to rent in case it doesn't work out for me!(See I HAVE been reading all your posts!) Is anyone familiar with the Camelot Square apartments? Thanks for all your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 08:01 AM

Anybody out there??

Old 10-16-2007, 12:12 PM

131 posts, read 685,288 times
I'm not from Cananadaigua, but I do have a home in Medina, about an hour away, and have visited several times. Qualified tradepeople are needed all over WNY - plumbers, electricians, carpenters - you name it - there seems to be a definite shortage. Don't know about their salaries.

Rochester is definitely a do-able commute from Canandaigua - about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. Heating seems to be predominantly forced air natural gas, and I see a lot of propane tanks attached to rural area homes.

Don't know about schools (no kids) or rents (in Medina, you can rent a nice three bedroom apartment or small house for $500-$550, which I think is reasonably low, but don't know if those same rents would be available in Canandaigua).

Canandaigua is a great town, with so much to commend it. However, like any place you're going to find those pockets that you wouldn't want to live in with your family. I would suggest you come, visit and explore the town.

Housing prices are pretty low in this area. You may want to rethink buying a home in favour of renting. A nice home in a good area of Canandaigua would be a sound investment (IMHO).

Old 10-16-2007, 12:32 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,475,034 times
i agree with the fact the housing buying option is better than renting at those prices, why throw money out the window renting if you could own for the same or close to the same price - i also agree that qualified skills trade is always needed and appreciated
colleen

Old 10-16-2007, 01:55 PM

78 posts, read 348,621 times
Default Canandaigua!

Hi there - I live in the Town of Canandaigua about 15 mins from the "city" of Canandaigua. It is a beautiful, beautiful, scenic area with huge plusses going for it. The schools are excellent - including the surrounding school districts - if your kids are in Cdga Schools the options are limitless for there activities. It is a big sports school with a lot of internal competition for positions so if your child or children are not athletically superstars then one of the smaller surrounding school districts would let them be on the team, play and even start in some situations. Lots of good schooling options.

The housing situation is afforable but Canandaigua probably is one of the higher priced areas for housing due to the success of the Town and City. You could rent a 2 bdrm in a decent community for $825 or so. To buy a small 3 bedroom house you probably are going to spend at least 125000. At that would require some work and would be small. I would not recommend Camelot Square. Lots of better places for your dollars.

I agree with the previous poster in that skilled tradesworkers are pretty much always in demand - I have no idea as to wages but I am sure much less than Long Island - however generally speaking the cost of living here is much, much less than your area.

Great things about Canandaigua include - the lake!, lots of outdoor recreation opportunities, beautiful hills, scenery, hiking, skiing, watersports, a beautiful lakefront park, great weather from May till October. The bad.....high taxes, SNOW! And I don't mean a little bit. A lot. Too much. Gray weather from Nov - April. Lots of gray - many many days with no sun.

If you have any more questions let me know I will be happy to answer them!

Old 10-16-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who responded! theluckiest1: I haven't yet made it up there, and when I do I will not have much time to stay, so I am especially trying to narrow down the apt complex. options so it will save on time! (According to Mapquest.com, it will be a 7.5 hour drive...) Are there any apt. complexes that you would recommend? I realize that this area might be more expensive then others...but I would rathar have a safe place for my kids and a great school district. Can you explain high taxes? I know that there is going to be a lot of snow...but the kids seem excited! I would like to see a white Christmas again. I know that there is no "Utopia", but it would be nice to be able to get on our feet and get ahead, there is going to be some "bad" with the "good". I'd rathar the snow situation be a "negative" factor rathar than not knowing if by this time next year I'll be able to afford a roof over my head.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:02 PM

23,864 posts, read 22,700,855 times
Arrow Canandaigua!

For every one over 35 do you remember Roseland Park and the "Comet"!!Roller Coster with the mini putt-put golf under it. and the big Silver Rockets on the roof of the hot dog stand and skee-ball and the park behind the arcade down by the lake........Class of 67

Old 10-19-2007, 06:54 AM

I was hoping to hear some more responses!!

Old 10-20-2007, 07:01 AM

41 posts, read 110,124 times
Smile I remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
For every one over 35 do you remember Roseland Park and the "Comet"!!Roller Coster with the mini putt-put golf under it. and the big Silver Rockets on the roof of the hot dog stand and skee-ball and the park behind the arcade down by the lake........Class of 67
I use to go to Roseland Park all the time! I remember, even though I am much older than you I remember the haunted house-You rode the little cars in. I loved it and was so saddened to find out they tore it all down. What is there now? The Merry-Go-Round was sold wasn't it? "Sigh"--another NY memory-somewhat faded, but still there!

Old 10-20-2007, 08:46 AM

1,030 posts, read 2,762,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post

Ah yes, Roseland Park. It is the amusement park of childhood as my father grew up in the aea so we headed there quite often in the summer......it was a sad day when she was torn down but that's progress....Kenshaw Park is a lovely addition to the lakefront but always will that stretch be "Roseland" to me.....remember the neat little skyride over the lake to the picnic area too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area