Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 07:21 PM

558 posts, read 299,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
umm no you can't. The "school district" is county wide..
So you can only pick your kids schools if you're in the Rochester market?

Better tell that to the people all over the US who are doing it elsewhere. Someone needs to tell them what they apparently do not know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 07:40 PM

93,295 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
No statement made is absolute set in stone but looking at https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...york/PST045217 a 1/3 of the city residents are in poverty, the median income is 31k this is not a city with a sizable middle class that is having an influence on the schools.

In the suburbs more people choose a private education for their kids based on their faith not exclusively but primarily and even less because they feel the public school option is inadequate.

Yes people with kids will choose the city living option regardless of the potential obstacles but their the exceptions....
Actually, the other 66% not in poverty in the city have an influence on the schools in terms of choice. In this case it could mean using the other options already mentioned in the thread.

Faith can and is a factor in terms of private school attendance, but it isn’t unusual to have say non Catholics attending a Catholic school or do so as an alternative. Some may go for other reasons such as sports or other programs as well.

About roughly 20% or so of children between 5-18 in the city use alternative school options based roughly upon the city population within that age range and the RCSD enrollment.

Here is a somewhat relevant article: https://www.thebalance.com/property-...ptions-3193327

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-22-2018 at 08:01 PM..

Old 07-22-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
Relative to home value, property taxes in the Rochester metro are the highest in the US.

Low real estate values and minimal appreciation are side issues.

Maybe if the taxes were not so prohibitive there would be more investment in the area which would move property values out of the cellar.

It does appear to be working in other places.....
Even this isn’t necessarily the case as other areas with higher property tax rates in relation to value are actually some of the fastest growing areas or are growing at a steady pace: Metropolitan New York and San Jose: Highest Property Tax Burdens | Newgeography.com (second to last chart)

If you also look at places with the lowest rates, not all of them are growing or they are quite expensive in terms of housing. So, with the latter, the rates may be low, but property taxes may still be high due to the higher housing prices(there is a couple of sources earlier in the thread).

This must mean that other factors have to be or are considered.

Then, if you look by County, the rate varies within the Rochester metro area(Monroe, Ontario, Livingston, Yates, Orleans and Wayne counties): https://www.attomdata.com/news/marke...data-analysis/ (remember that it uses average instead of median and Orleans, Yates and Ontario County’s estimated values seem to be high on the map: https://www.tax.ny.gov/research/prop.../resmedian.htm )

Look at the home prices and keep in mind that some states just use real property taxes, while other states also have personal property taxes as well... Not saying it will be a tit for tat, but even how property taxes are collected is not uniform across the country.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-22-2018 at 08:31 PM..

Old 07-22-2018, 07:51 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,122 times
Quote:
So you can only pick your kids schools if you're in the Rochester market?

Better tell that to the people all over the US who are doing it elsewhere. Someone needs to tell them what they apparently do not know.
That's exactly my point. You don't need to "pick" your schools in Rochester suburbs. You can pick the town you want to live in and get excellent schools by default. As opposed to "picking" your school and hoping you get into that magnet school across the countywide school system.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:22 PM

558 posts, read 299,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Even this isn’t necessarily the case as other areas with higher property tax rates in relation to value are actually some of the fastest growing areas or are growing at a steady pace: Metropolitan New York and San Jose: Highest Property Tax Burdens | Newgeography.com (second to last chart)

If you also look at places with the lowest rates, not all of them are growing or they are quite expensive in terms of housing. So, with the latter, the rates may be low, but property taxes may still be high due to the higher housing prices(there is a couple of sources earlier in the thread).

This must mean that other factors have to be or are considered.

Then, if you look by County, the rate varies within the Rochester metro area(Monroe, Ontario, Livingston, Yates, Orleans and Wayne counties): https://www.attomdata.com/news/marke...data-analysis/

Look at the home prices and keep in mind that some states just use real property taxes, whiles other also have personal property taxes as well... Not saying it will be a tit for tat, but even how property taxes are collected is not uniform across the country.
Of course NYC, San Jose and SF have about the highest property taxes. Look at their home values!!

My point is about how much you pay in relation to the home value. No US market is worse than Rochester, although Buffalo isn't too far behind.

No point kicking the can any further. The point has been made. OP and many others are correct. Have fun justifying what cannot be justified.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Of course NYC, San Jose and SF have about the highest property taxes. Look at their home values!!

My point is about how much you pay in relation to the home value. No US market is worse than Rochester, although Buffalo isn't too far behind.

No point kicking the can any further. The point has been made. OP and many others are correct. Have fun justifying what cannot be justified.
Not justifying it at all(as I’ve offered suggestions for reducing property taxes in the past), but the point you made about investment isn’t necessarily true due to the fact that some of the fastest growing areas in the country are not that far behind Rochester in that regard.

Also, if you read the article it shows that property tax rates can be low in relation to home value, but since the home value is so high, that can reduce the property tax rate for that area. With Rochester, it comes down to the lower home prices causing the higher rate.

So, it goes to show that other factors have to be considered in all of this.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-22-2018 at 08:44 PM..

Old 07-23-2018, 05:23 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
"Excellent schools" is relative in these states. It may be excellent relative to other schools in the area, or if it's a magnet school which your county has put all its resources in, then maybe it might be close to Rochester area schools. The difference is in Rochester suburbs, every single suburban school district is excellent and funded. Pick a town to live in and you are guaranteed your kids will go to that school district and those schools.

Again, I will admit Rochester taxes are very high. But you can't point to a few good schools in your entire county and then use that as the baseline to compare against Rochester area schools. Every town/village in Monroe County has excellent schools. That isn't the case in county school systems where very little funding goes towards the school districts. Again, it's a game of charades, where resources are put to a select few magnet schools to get the school names into the best of school listings.
You place a lot of emphasis on Magnet schools but they are not a factor in the region I live, beyond some urban locations that have the same poor schools as your city; but they are their own district(s). A city is not part of a county here so their issues remain with them.

You are an excellent spokesperson for the problem with the NY system, you speak as if every district is perfect they are not and the same problems that may reflect in a county wide district reflect just as much there but its "that town" or "that side of ..". In some ways you lose because no district can fund to replicate every service at every location, I often read where parents are trying to identify which piece of the county school district puzzle can provide what service their child may need. But you do acknowledge that the taxes are high which is more than many will.

Our schools are properly funded, well maintained, continuing to grow with new schools coming online every several years as growth dictates. Because our schools are not a taxing authority they have to create and submit their budget for the coming year and are held accountable (something that is lacking in many NY districts) for how the money is spent. They can't just raise the tax on the argument "its for the children" as you so often hear.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:38 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I grew up in Rochester and enjoyed living there.

I moved to Raleigh, NC, about twenty years ago only because employment options were better here. No other reason.

Here in Raleigh, we have excellent schools, great museums, libraries, street cleaners, leaf pickup, incredibly responsive police officers, EMS, and firefighters, garbage pickup (we do have to pay a big whoppin' $30 for a very large pickup, of say, a couch and a bunch of other stuff), a beautiful modern downtown, a beautiful new aquatic center that is "green" and LEED certified (there are several public pools, but that one is the newest), and we're near lakes, have plenty of parks, are two hours from the ocean and four hours from the mountains.

(Oh, with the education my son received here, from kindergarten to high school, he earned a full pre-med scholarship to the University of Rochester -- yes, in Rochester, New York. He decided he didn't want to become a doctor, and he missed Raleigh. He is now a high school math teacher after receiving a graduate degree in math from NC State in Raleigh.)

I pay the exact same amount of taxes now on my Raleigh house that I did on my Rochester house -- but my Raleigh house is now more than double the value of my Rochester house which has hardly gone up at all in value.

My Raleigh taxes have gone up only $100 (total) in nearly twenty years. I don't know the current taxes of my Rochester house because Rochester doesn't make it easy to find out, but I believe they are three or four times what they were twenty years ago. Rochester makes it difficult to get tax information for specific homes. Raleigh makes it quite easy.

I see the value of many newer Rochester homes are now quite close to Raleigh values. Older city homes, of course, are a steal in Rochester, but you're dealing with a higher crime rate in many neighborhoods.

We also get four actual seasons, but sometimes in winter, we don't have snow. We have cool winters, fresh lovely springs (starting on the first day of spring, March 21), warm summers, and comfortable falls with colorful leaves.

So, again, why are Rochester taxes so high?

All you people should really stop complaining about high Taxes. We lived on Long Island and left 8 years ago and paid $25,000 a year in taxes. We moved to Ohio and paid $100,000 for a home and are paying $1,500 a year in taxes. I wish we moved anywhere else than stayed on Long island. With our down payment on our Long Island home we could have paid cash for at least three really nice homes in Ohio and paid cash for at least two nice homes in Rochester. I laugh reading these posts. We are now thinking of moving to Rochester. We really miss New York and the stores being open late at night and miss the bagels and diners.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:55 PM

1,042 posts, read 874,047 times
I am actually considering moving to somewhere in Sullivan County [ I live in the mountains of Colorado, I need somewhere that resembles mountains] The pictures are beyond beautiful, and it doesn't seem as though the towns are all burning down. The property taxes sound horrendous [we pay a bit over $300 a year. I understand that being a senior citizen that I would receive a 50% tax break, which, for the places we are looking at would cost us $3,000 a year, which still seems high but doable. I have been told to stay clear of Monticello and Liberty because that is where the recently released from prison tend to go there and there are also gangs.

Can someone please share a little about the area.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
I am actually considering moving to somewhere in Sullivan County [ I live in the mountains of Colorado, I need somewhere that resembles mountains] The pictures are beyond beautiful, and it doesn't seem as though the towns are all burning down. The property taxes sound horrendous [we pay a bit over $300 a year. I understand that being a senior citizen that I would receive a 50% tax break, which, for the places we are looking at would cost us $3,000 a year, which still seems high but doable. I have been told to stay clear of Monticello and Liberty because that is where the recently released from prison tend to go there and there are also gangs.

Can someone please share a little about the area.
Try the general section of the forum, as Sullivan County is quite a drive from the Rochester area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area