U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-01-2013, 09:51 AM
 
3,234 posts, read 7,608,067 times
Reputation: 2693

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLight View Post
Btw, the outlet mall you mentioned is a joke compare to Woodbury commons, Wrentham outlet, Kittery and should I mention the ones in California. If you called the home of garbage plate a pride on the national TV program then you need to seriously watch what you are putting in your mouth. I am sorry to be rude but I am pretty tired of the denial we are in.
so there are better outlet malls out there... your point being?
And I never called the garbage plate a pride. I was stating that there were foods that were nationally recognized. BTW, the well known foods for most areas is not going to be good for you. NYC pizza, Philly cheese steaks, mission burritos, etc are all horrible for you.
Just because I don't believe incorrect, vague, sweeping statements, does not make for denial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-01-2013, 10:15 AM
 
130 posts, read 240,373 times
Reputation: 58
I have many friends moved away and sweared they would not come back to Rochester for a visit. I think even a place in the middle of nowhere named Pittsburgh has managed to turn into something bigger and better. My personal experience of Rochester from day 1 in the past 10 years has been really awful. There is nothing wrong with trying to reach out to the similar minds. I have a friend who has been stuck in Rochester with a bright future 25 years ago (MIT PhD) who worked for Kodak and he regret not moving away. His only reason to stay in Rochester because of the cheap housing but out of great costs such as networking. On the contrary, a PhD student who graduated from a lower standard UofR has moved on to something bigger, better and is now working for Apple in Silicon Valley. Cities by the water namely ocean have greater advantages historically and geographically against a place in the middle of nowhere like Rochester and that is fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 10:24 AM
 
3,234 posts, read 7,608,067 times
Reputation: 2693
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLight View Post
I have many friends moved away and sweared they would not come back to Rochester for a visit. I think even a place in the middle of nowhere named Pittsburgh has managed to turn into something bigger and better. My personal experience of Rochester from day 1 in the past 10 years has been really awful. There is nothing wrong with trying to reach out to the similar minds. I have a friend who has been stuck in Rochester with a bright future 25 years ago (MIT PhD) who worked for Kodak and he regret not moving away. His only reason to stay in Rochester because of the cheap housing but out of great costs such as networking. On the contrary, a PhD student who graduated from a lower standard UofR has moved on to something bigger, better and is now working for Apple in Silicon Valley. Cities by the water namely ocean have greater advantages historically and geographically against a place in the middle of nowhere like Rochester and that is fact.
So you have a few anecdotes(that are extremely hard to follow). Great. I have anecdotes too. I know people who have moved away and liked it better outside the area. I know people who moved away and hated it so they moved back. I know people who have stayed with no interest in living in another area after traveling around a bit. I know transplants who moved here from other areas who prefer here to their hometown(and vise versa)I could go on. For every example you can provide, another person can provide an example showing the opposite.

And no, your point about being near water is not fact. This isn't the 1800s. You don't need to be on the ocean to be successful. I'll again point out the fast growing cities such as Atlanta, Raleigh, Charlotte, Austin, etc that are land locked and are very successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 10:39 AM
 
130 posts, read 240,373 times
Reputation: 58
Even the Mighty Wegman is trying to reach out to the ocean namley NJ, MA, PA because even Danny admit Rochester will eventually become a dead end for his family business. Maybe you are more successful than the Wegman to consider Rochester as an Utopia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 10:47 AM
 
3,234 posts, read 7,608,067 times
Reputation: 2693
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLight View Post
Even the Mighty Wegman is trying to reach out to the ocean namley NJ, MA, PA because even Danny admit Rochester will eventually become a dead end for his family business. Maybe you are more successful than the Wegman to consider Rochester as an Utopia.
Wegmans is going in several directions, some towards coastal areas, some inland areas. Not sure what kind of point you are trying to make. Wegmans is a northeastern/mid atlantic company so it is reaching out to other northeastern/mid atlantic markets. How many times are you going to ignore my point about the land locked cities that have grown by leaps and bounds in recent history?
Also, could you please point out where Danny Wegman said this area is a dead end, or where anybody said that Rochester is a utopia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 10:56 AM
 
130 posts, read 240,373 times
Reputation: 58
I know of a professor who sold his company to Micron for over 20 million dollars and the first thing Micron did was to move all the employees away from Rochester. They clearly don't want to have anything to do with Rochester and that is very discouraging given UofR has one of the best Optical engineering program in the world. It is a shame Rochester has once again missed it's chance to shine in the high tech world we are in today. You don't have to agree with Optical technologies is the future but I am sure you are using one (IPhone, IPAD, TVs, LED lights,...etc) and isn't it strange to you how we have all the incentives to succeed (kodak, xerox, UofR,...etc) but fail to do so. It is not the end of the world of Rochester but it is not looking good. I have spoken to many prestigious professors from UofR and they all said to their students to get out when they still have a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 11:02 AM
 
130 posts, read 240,373 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Wegmans is going in several directions, some towards coastal areas, some inland areas. Not sure what kind of point you are trying to make. Wegmans is a northeastern/mid atlantic company so it is reaching out to other northeastern/mid atlantic markets. How many times are you going to ignore my point about the land locked cities that have grown by leaps and bounds in recent history?
Also, could you please point out where Danny Wegman said this area is a dead end, or where anybody said that Rochester is a utopia?
He said it when he was driving his Lamborghini Diablo and that was more than 10 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 11:03 AM
 
3,234 posts, read 7,608,067 times
Reputation: 2693
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLight View Post
I know of a professor who sold his company to Micron for over 20 million dollars and the first thing Micron did was to move all the employees away from Rochester. They clearly don't want to have anything to do with Rochester and that is very discouraging given UofR has one of the best Optical engineering program in the world. It is a shame Rochester has once again missed it's chance to shine in the high tech world we are in today. You don't have to agree with Optical technologies is the future but I am sure you are using one (IPhone, IPAD, TVs, LED lights,...etc) and isn't it strange to you how we have all the incentives to succeed (kodak, xerox, UofR,...etc) but fail to do so. It is not the end of the world of Rochester but it is not looking good. I have spoken to many prestigious professors from UofR and they all said to their students to get out when they still have a chance.
You mean that an out of town company bought a local company and moved it's employees? This is an extremely common practice all over the country. Can you provide some sort of proof that it was because they didn't want anything to do with the area? Or was it more cost effective for them which would make much more sense.
And I have to question your relations with professors. I have dealt with U of R and RIT professors on a professional level and they give different people different advice based on a number of different factors. To say that "they all" recommend anything shows that you either don't many professors or are exaggerating things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 11:05 AM
 
3,234 posts, read 7,608,067 times
Reputation: 2693
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLight View Post
He said it when he was driving his Lamborghini Diablo and that was more than 10 years ago.
I'm really sure that happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2013, 11:30 AM
 
130 posts, read 240,373 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
You mean that an out of town company bought a local company and moved it's employees? This is an extremely common practice all over the country. Can you provide some sort of proof that it was because they didn't want anything to do with the area? Or was it more cost effective for them which would make much more sense.
And I have to question your relations with professors. I have dealt with U of R and RIT professors on a professional level and they give different people different advice based on a number of different factors. To say that "they all" recommend anything shows that you either don't many professors or are exaggerating things.
Cost effective!! Don't get me started! Micron was paying no morre than $60, 000 for each employees but they are paying no less than $150, 000 for any of those employees that have moved with the company. The fact is, these are solid evidence to the events that I personally experience so stop preaching something I know personally. Maybe these people are not in the same social group with you or are intimitated to express their real feeling in front of you. Nobody said you need to move but don't said I didn't warned you. I think you should try to improve yourself by accepting bigger challenges in bigger cities unless you cannot afford to move to those areas. Rochester is a great second retirement summer home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:47 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top