U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2013, 08:14 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,613,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLight View Post
I don't quite understand your logic as why Rochester is a competitive or professionally challenged if most of businesses are moving to other area. You don't know the detail of that $20 million dollar deal so please save your breath. The fact that Rochester's economy has been going down hill and not able to revitalized itself is sad enough for the community.
But most businesses are not leaving the area. If anything the economy is a mixed bag with some losses and gains over the years. It has slowly been reinventing itself to get rid of the Kodak stigma over the years. Instead of being an area with a large employer like Kodak there have been many smaller companies popping up in the "tech" field.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 10:14 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,650,821 times
Quote:
Btw, the outlet mall you mentioned is a joke compare to Woodbury commons, Wrentham outlet, Kittery and should I mention the ones in California. If you called the home of garbage plate a pride on the national TV program then you need to seriously watch what you are putting in your mouth. I am sorry to be rude but I am pretty tired of the denial we are in.
No offense but California could split off from the rest of the U.S. and I wouldn't shed a tear.

Seriously, the apples to oranges comparisons in this thread are frightening, but that's to be expected on City-Data, I guess

One stat I saw recently re: Rochester: 37% of folks in the metro area are on some form or another of disability insurance/payments as a source of income. No doubt Rochester is not alone with such a stat, but with the huge drop in well-paying jobs there in the last 20-30 years, with not much job creation to take up the slack, it compounds an already scary economic situation. (delusional) People on here were raving about Rochester's supposedly low unemployment rate a few years ago, when in reality two major factors tie into it: A) The exodus of skilled/educated people in the 25-40 age group over the last two plus decades, therefore depressing demand for such jobs, and B) Quite frankly not as many people in Rochester are working, taken as a percentage of the total working-age population. The latter is magnified some, when one takes into account the local population there (like the rest of Upstate) is much older, on average, compared with the rest of the country. The two largest groups of folks moving to Rochester are older people who need the health care the area offers, and folks looking to get on the dole both from out-of-state and overseas. It's no secret that Monroe County Social Services is the easiest agency to take advantage of for welfare in the entire country, so it stands to reason why Rochester has had something like 20,000 people from third world countries settle there in the last ten years or so.

As I posted in another thread, Rochester is a working town, and a lot of people there are active in the local community, and many more enjoy activities within a short drive when the weather is nice, something a lot of cities in the Sun Belt would love to have. Honestly, for a city its size (and the city proper's population has dwindled in the last 50 years), it has amenities, restaurants, and things to do for singles, couples, and families that people in other cities are envious of. We were in town for the Jazz Fest last year and quite frankly were blown away by the mass of people downtown. Met people from all over the place, some had been there for the Fest maybe the year before, and others were there for the first time. All said they were having a great time, and enjoyed spending a little time in Rochester.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I have many friends moved away and sweared they would not come back to Rochester for a visit. I think even a place in the middle of nowhere named Pittsburgh has managed to turn into something bigger and better.
...and Allegany County continues to bleed people, every census it's like they lost another 100K or so.

Quote:
My personal experience of Rochester from day 1 in the past 10 years has been really awful. There is nothing wrong with trying to reach out to the similar minds. I have a friend who has been stuck in Rochester with a bright future 25 years ago (MIT PhD) who worked for Kodak and he regret not moving away. His only reason to stay in Rochester because of the cheap housing but out of great costs such as networking. On the contrary, a PhD student who graduated from a lower standard UofR has moved on to something bigger, better and is now working for Apple in Silicon Valley. Cities by the water namely ocean have greater advantages historically and geographically against a place in the middle of nowhere like Rochester and that is fact.
Ahem.

West of the Mississippi is generally dry and arid. An article I read this past week said the Hoover Dam won't be able to produce electricity in about 5 or so years, because the Colorado River, and thus Lake Mead, are being drained of their water at an alarming rate. The multi-year drought doesn't help, either.

So please tell us how it is Rochester, which is bounded on one side by L. Ontario, and is close to the Finger Lakes, is water-deficient.

Rochester's biggest problem is it's located within NY State.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:40 AM

55 posts, read 106,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
37% of folks in the metro area are on some form or another of disability insurance/payments as a source of income.
Not buying this without a cite to your source.

Quote:
folks looking to get on the dole both from out-of-state and overseas. It's no secret that Monroe County Social Services is the easiest agency to take advantage of for welfare in the entire country, so it stands to reason why Rochester has had something like 20,000 people from third world countries settle there in the last ten years or so.
Your implication is either that foreign-born citizens/lawful immigrants don't deserve social services, or that foreign-born persons come here illegally and are able to obtain social services. Hogwash either way.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:52 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,390,524 times
Quote:
:thumbup:

Old 03-03-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJLink View Post
Your implication is either that foreign-born citizens/lawful immigrants don't deserve social services, or that foreign-born persons come here illegally and are able to obtain social services. Hogwash either way.
We should be helping our own first...

He makes great points.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJLink View Post
My point is it's plainly obvious why third-worlders flock to places like Rochester, and those 'social services' are a prime motivator. NYC is in the same boat, in fact productive people have fled the city for points westward and northward because of the pressures on the local housing market there. I don't have a problem with immigration, so long as they're legal and have a desire to be productive.

Additionally, some not-so-savory locals there in town openly encourage illegals to hide in Rochester, usually clergy and 'social justice' types who apparently have nothing more productive to do with their time but defy federal laws against such practices. It's been going on for years, at least since the late-80's that I'm aware of.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:33 AM

130 posts, read 240,570 times
Quote:
...and Allegany County continues to bleed people, every census it's like they lost another 100K or so.

Ahem.

West of the Mississippi is generally dry and arid. An article I read this past week said the Hoover Dam won't be able to produce electricity in about 5 or so years, because the Colorado River, and thus Lake Mead, are being drained of their water at an alarming rate. The multi-year drought doesn't help, either.

So please tell us how it is Rochester, which is bounded on one side by L. Ontario, and is close to the Finger Lakes, is water-deficient.

I meant for exporting and importing advantages. Maybe Rochester will be THE place to live when water shortage hit us in full force. But then maybe we will come up with more efficient ocean desalination method as a solution. I have just given you a reputation point for providing your insights. Thank you very much for your time.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:09 AM

Arizona will have it shipped out!

Old 03-04-2013, 02:04 PM

1,030 posts, read 2,767,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Arizona will have it shipped out!
Yeah I can see it now: caravans of tanker trucks streaming across the country from the Great Lakes to Arizona bringing enough water for the state to sustain it's needs. That's feasible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area