Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 12:06 PM

122 posts, read 350,846 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are considering moving to Rochester and have a few questions.
1.) What private schools (any grades from K thru 12) are considered the best? (in any suburb or in city of Rochester).

2.) Does Rochester get more snow than Buffalo?

3.) For those who are new/transplants to Rochester, did you find it easy to meet new people and build your social network?

Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 01:34 PM

92,267 posts, read 122,526,056 times
Look into the Harley School or Allendale-Columbia. Both schools share a sports program.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:52 PM

55 posts, read 131,819 times
To compare Rochester and Buffalo snowfall, you need to bookmark the Golden Snowball! - GoldenSnowball.com | The Golden Snowball Award is a contest between 5 cities in CNY – Upstate New York. The contest is based on which city receives the most snowfall for the snow season. The cities that compete are Albany, Buffalo, Binghamton,

Rochester is a small enough city that networking is very productive if you're willing to work at it.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:13 PM

Thanks for your replies!

Old 02-05-2013, 05:16 PM

Wow--both those schools look great (and pricey--those look like DC area tuition rates) are there any other recommendations for a good private but a little more reasonable cost-wise?

Old 02-05-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennySzymanski View Post
Wow--both those schools look great (and pricey--those look like DC area tuition rates) are there any other recommendations for a good private but a little more reasonable cost-wise?
What grades? If HS, Mercy for girls, McQuaid for boys; while for co-ed, Aquinas and Bishop Kearney. If you don't mind Christian schools, Finney, Rochester Christian, Webster Christian and Greece Christian, among others, may work. There is Webster Montessori too. Here is a list of area private schools: http://rochester.m.kidsoutandabout.c...r-rochester-ny

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-05-2013 at 06:50 PM..

Old 02-05-2013, 09:55 PM

120 posts, read 339,076 times
Not sure where you're coming from but there are some great public schools in the Rochester area. Brighton, Pittsford and Victor (my personal top 3) Other people will have their own opinions. What are you looking for? Why private? (which is fine, just trying to get an idea of what you you want) Also what ages are your children?

McQuaid and Mercy that another poster mentioned are very highly regarded academically.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:25 PM

130 posts, read 274,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennySzymanski View Post
I would stay in DC if I were you because the property and school tax will really turn you off. If you must then Pittsford and Brighton are the only public school worth look into. But if you want private schools then Harley is pretty good and is also off of hwy 590 which is pretty close to Hochstein music school if your children need music lesson after school. I think private is the way to go if you value education and social networking. There is definitely a social status/circle especially in Pittsford so don't let those who lives in the city fool you. Pittsford is a great community but you need a lot of money to pay for things. If don't like paying for high tax then stay where you are.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLight View Post
I would stay in DC if I were you because the property and school tax will really turn you off. If you must then Pittsford and Brighton are the only public school worth look into. But if you want private schools then Harley is pretty good and is also off of hwy 590 which is pretty close to Hochstein music school if your children need music lesson after school. I think private is the way to go if you value education and social networking. There is definitely a social status/circle especially in Pittsford so don't let those who lives in the city fool you. Pittsford is a great community but you need a lot of money to pay for things. If don't like paying for high tax then stay where you are.
You must not understand how expensive the DC area is. I think it may be a little bit too late anyway. There are other good districts in the area too.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:51 PM

130 posts, read 274,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You must not understand how expensive the DC area is. I think it may be a little bit too late anyway. There are other good districts in the area too.
I know for sure you don't live in Pittsford!. Keep dreaming.

You might not want to hear this. My friends who came and visit us from McLean numerous years ago fell in love with Pittsford for the idea of getting a ultra luxury mansion for less than $1 million dollar. As soon as they learned about the property tax, weather climate and the economic situation, they told us there is no way they would want to get stuck in Pittsford. As you mentioned Pittsford is one of the most affluent town in Upstate NY throughout your posts. I wonder what they would think of Syracuse.

Last edited by CityLight; 03-06-2013 at 06:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area