U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 06:22 AM

12 posts, read 15,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I could see where that Marsh Rd location could either be considered Perinton or Pittsford, but either way it is a great area! Would you pay your property taxes to Perinton or Pittsford?

It's funny because here in SoCal we have a very exclusive area, Del Mar, which is really a very small village, and not that many people truly live in Del Mar, but because it is so desirable to live in "Del Mar" lots of people claim they do, when they actually don't. Their mailing address is San Diego but they like people to think they live in Del Mar. And alot of places have attached Del Mar to their names...restaurants, shopping centers, etc. when they really aren't in Del Mar either. It's just a status thing...probably similar thing with Pittsford.
I think the property taxes are for Perinton, and are therefore lower in comparison to similar houses that we viewed in the town of Pittsford. I noticed a "school tax," and I assume that is for Pittsford schools since the house is in Pittsford school district. Interesting about the status. Is that big of a deal there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Most definitely the same thing with Pittsford and Perinton regarding the status of saying you live somewhere. If you live close enough to Pittsford, or in a place that might technically be associated with Pittsford in some way, you're going to say you live in Pittsford for the exclusivity factor. People saying it has to do with the schools or post office are off their rocker, it has nothing to do with that at all. If you can get away with telling people you live in Pittsford you're automatically assumed to be well off and people get a boner for you.
So you are saying that it would be incorrect to say that we live in Pittsford? This is where I am confused. I was told that most people don't say that they live in "Perinton," but that it's either Pittsford or Fairport, depending on the school district / zip code. Our house is Pittsford schools / 14534, but town of Perinton. My parents-in-law live in Perinton too, but have a Fairport address and live in Fairport school district. They are also on Fairport electric, which seems to be significant (our house, although fairly close to where they live, is RG&E). They are in the Town of Perinton, but when people ask where they live, they say "Fairport," even though they don't live in the village of Fairport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 07:24 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,860,093 times
All things considered; I'm pretty sure you would say you live in Pittsford and would probably have a Pittsford mailing address. All of the reasons mentioned come into play; post office, school district, and yes; people wanting to identify with the exclusivity of "Pittsford Prestige"

Old 03-04-2013, 04:34 PM

4,548 posts, read 7,009,885 times
I was born and raised in Fairport (before the actual Town of Perinton was even created). But I could see where folks would say Fairport rather than Perinton because most people know where Fairport is and it's always kind of unclear where Perinton starts and ends. It is still Fairport HS, even though it's in Perinton. Fairport is actually a village within the town of Perinton (I think . Pittsford is probably the only town that does have that snob appeal, it's always been that way even back when I went to high school. I'm not sure why, because people there aren't really all that UBER UBER rich, at least as I would definite it in other areas of the country.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:52 AM

12 posts, read 15,767 times
Thanks for the replies. I can't wait to move! It seems like it will be a great place to raise our kids .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area