U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 03:27 PM

3,518 posts, read 4,391,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I don't know too many people that go out in the Harbor area in Boston. It seems more like a day attraction with the harbor walk and aquarium. Nearby Fanieul hall would be where people in that area go at night with lots of bars.

high falls is not empty buildings. They put office space in the area the past few years. I don't agree with that but it's what is there. I would rather see restaurants that cater to the family crowd. The city tried to cater to the 20s crowd which was a huge mistake as thousands in that crowd already live within walking distance to Monroe, East End and South Wedge. Why drive or take a cab to high falls when you can just walk to much closer districts? They need to make it a more family friendly place.
Waterfall downtown surrounded by unpopulated drab.

River port on the lake front and they want to build senior living and empty marinas.

Build a ferry port and advertise shi**y attractions. Yeah, come to Rochester so you can drive an hour outside of it to experience something that isn't Napa Valley.

Again, just bulldoze this city and everyone in it. This is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 04:59 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,614,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Waterfall downtown surrounded by unpopulated drab.

River port on the lake front and they want to build senior living and empty marinas.

Build a ferry port and advertise shi**y attractions. Yeah, come to Rochester so you can drive an hour outside of it to experience something that isn't Napa Valley.

Again, just bulldoze this city and everyone in it. This is ridiculous.
what in the world are you talking about now?

Old 02-21-2013, 05:07 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,611,990 times
Well the first part of his post I'm assuming is directed at the horrendous idea of erecting condos where the parking lot for Charlotte Beach currently resides. I've stated numerous times why this is a terrible idea, first and foremost being the current parking situation down there is dreadful when there is any decent amount of visitation to the park. The second reason being cost to benefit, which is very unfavorable to the taxpayers of Rochester because any condos down there will cost an arm and a leg and very, very few people will be able to afford or even want to live down there.

And the 2nd part pretty much speaks for itself.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Well the first part of his post I'm assuming is directed at the horrendous idea of erecting condos where the parking lot for Charlotte Beach currently resides. I've stated numerous times why this is a terrible idea, first and foremost being the current parking situation down there is dreadful when there is any decent amount of visitation to the park. The second reason being cost to benefit, which is very unfavorable to the taxpayers of Rochester because any condos down there will cost an arm and a leg and very, very few people will be able to afford or even want to live down there.

And the 2nd part pretty much speaks for itself.
Anything is better than a parking lot down there. Parking isn't that bad and they would put a parking garage in. As long as views of the beach and lake are not obstructed, it should be fine. The river view is not great and putting condos in front of the river isn't really taking away from the area.

The second part makes no sense. Trying to downplay a billion dollar industry such as the finger lakes is really stretching it. And according to numbers, many Canadians did rid the fast ferry. The choice of over the top boat was stupid and not cost effective.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:35 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,611,990 times
The parking down there is acceptable for your average weekday when everyone else is at work. During the weekends can get a bit congested, but the biggest trouble is during the Wegmans music nights, the Rib Fest, and any other larger events they have. You have to park over on the field behind Charlotte High if you don't get there early enough or just don't want to drive around the lot for 30 mins to find a spot.

And a parking garage down there would be the worst idea. How often do you go to a beach and see a parking garage? It totally goes against the open, airy environment one expects when visiting a beach park. Maybe they get could a bi-level to look good, 3 at the most, but it's still a terrible idea IMHO. I know are completely against the idea of parking lots for whatever reason, but if there is one area that needs it, it's Charlotte park. I'm sure this is an area we will have to agree to disagree on though.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
The parking down there is acceptable for your average weekday when everyone else is at work. During the weekends can get a bit congested, but the biggest trouble is during the Wegmans music nights, the Rib Fest, and any other larger events they have. You have to park over on the field behind Charlotte High if you don't get there early enough or just don't want to drive around the lot for 30 mins to find a spot.

And a parking garage down there would be the worst idea. How often do you go to a beach and see a parking garage? It totally goes against the open, airy environment one expects when visiting a beach park. Maybe they get could a bi-level to look good, 3 at the most, but it's still a terrible idea IMHO. I know are completely against the idea of parking lots for whatever reason, but if there is one area that needs it, it's Charlotte park. I'm sure this is an area we will have to agree to disagree on though.
I'm thinking a garage would be suited for the non water side where it would not get in the way of any views. On the water side, it would be a horrible idea. When I was in Monterey California, they had a garage that was a few blocks away from the water. I think that makes the most sense. Your idea of a bi/3 level would work. Nothing like a downtown garage. That would stick out like a sore thumb.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:21 PM

You have a great port, and we're still sitting here thinking about parking or parking garages. There should be a boardwalk, shops and premium townhomes. Why are we still talking about parking garages?

Residential and commercial development is surprisingly scarce in one of the best spots. It seems to be a theme in Rochester: the better the setting, the worse the economic development. Can there be any greater evidence that this place is moronic?

Old 02-22-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
You have a great port, and we're still sitting here thinking about parking or parking garages. There should be a boardwalk, shops and premium townhomes. Why are we still talking about parking garages?

Residential and commercial development is surprisingly scarce in one of the best spots. It seems to be a theme in Rochester: the better the setting, the worse the economic development. Can there be any greater evidence that this place is moronic?
ummm they are putting residential units in that spot. And how much more residential development can there be? The area is already densely populated. Where else would they put in units?
Lake ave has plenty of restaurants and places for music. The fact that there is a debate about parking shows that there is activity down there. What other type of commercial activity should go there? Retail? I don't think retail would work there.
You are acting like it's a dead area which is false.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:54 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,651,100 times
OP: To where in SC are you moving?

Face it, Rochester is what I call a working town. You work and try to save for when the weather is nice, or for a trip to an area which has nice weather this time of year. The end of Lake Ave is a dead zone in winter, other than maybe 3 decent or nice places to hang out, I can't picture much more than that this time of year. That restaurant which is run by the convention center guy will never get a dime of mine, that place is Exhibit A for Rochester corruption, and proof that Rochester has become a "it's who you know" town.

High Falls was a failed public/private venture trumpeted by Bill "Grady" Johnson, and nowadays is more of an office site than anything. Last time we visited Rochester, we ventured over to the brew house on the Genny property. Needless to say we were really impressed. The beer and food were great, and we chatted with folks at the bar who were from out-of-town, beer fans and folks just poking around downtown.

I hate to break it to folks who think any different, but most American cities have cruddy downtowns. Working against Rochester is the weather, lack of vision, corruption, lack of economic growth, and other factors which prevent downtown from experiencing significant entertainment and retail growth. Downtown started its decline in the late 50's, like many other cities, and honestly besides Eddie's Chop House and a few gin mills downtown, I don't know of much else that people there wax nostagically about re: adult things to do downtown.

We used to take visitors down there during the daytime. The peregrine falcons and wildlife are neat, and the view of the falls from the bridge is really cool. A friend from Australia commented that he'd never seen wild turkey, and there they were right below the bridge on that site Kodak had to help clean up some years ago. Pount being Rochester has a lot of natural beauty right in the city. We saw license plates from out of state at both Tryon and Turning Point parks, so there must be a demand for hiking and biking trails, and waterways for kayaking and sculling. Irondequoit Creek, the canal, and several other waterways are perfect for such activities, and I think a lot of outsiders have discovered that stuff in recent years and keep going back*

*I didn't mean to get off-topic in the post, but I just think Rochester is attracting folks for things besides downtown these days.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
OP: To where in SC are you moving?

Face it, Rochester is what I call a working town. You work and try to save for when the weather is nice, or for a trip to an area which has nice weather this time of year. The end of Lake Ave is a dead zone in winter, other than maybe 3 decent or nice places to hang out, I can't picture much more than that this time of year. That restaurant which is run by the convention center guy will never get a dime of mine, that place is Exhibit A for Rochester corruption, and proof that Rochester has become a "it's who you know" town.

High Falls was a failed public/private venture trumpeted by Bill "Grady" Johnson, and nowadays is more of an office site than anything. Last time we visited Rochester, we ventured over to the brew house on the Genny property. Needless to say we were really impressed. The beer and food were great, and we chatted with folks at the bar who were from out-of-town, beer fans and folks just poking around downtown.

I hate to break it to folks who think any different, but most American cities have cruddy downtowns. Working against Rochester is the weather, lack of vision, corruption, lack of economic growth, and other factors which prevent downtown from experiencing significant entertainment and retail growth. Downtown started its decline in the late 50's, like many other cities, and honestly besides Eddie's Chop House and a few gin mills downtown, I don't know of much else that people there wax nostagically about re: adult things to do downtown.

We used to take visitors down there during the daytime. The peregrine falcons and wildlife are neat, and the view of the falls from the bridge is really cool. A friend from Australia commented that he'd never seen wild turkey, and there they were right below the bridge on that site Kodak had to help clean up some years ago. Pount being Rochester has a lot of natural beauty right in the city. We saw license plates from out of state at both Tryon and Turning Point parks, so there must be a demand for hiking and biking trails, and waterways for kayaking and sculling. Irondequoit Creek, the canal, and several other waterways are perfect for such activities, and I think a lot of outsiders have discovered that stuff in recent years and keep going back*

*I didn't mean to get off-topic in the post, but I just think Rochester is attracting folks for things besides downtown these days.
Actually, I think your post was pretty good.

Charleston/My. Pleasant area

Also, out of state license plates don't necessarily mean people coming for the parks. It might mean people who moved somewhere else coming back for their favorite place, or people visiting relatives just looking for something to do. When you see my Palmetto plate parked at a Bill Grays on Friday for a Haddock fish fry, remember this! :sly:

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area