U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 01:06 AM

10 posts, read 19,151 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I might be moving to Rochester with my husband and infant. We don't know anything about the area, and we'd like a little insight on the best neighborhood for us.

We will probably rent for a year or so then buy a home.

We are looking for:

- a reasonable commute to the University of Rochester
- a family neighborhood (in the city or suburbs)
- safe place with good schools
- walkable in terms of walk to the cafe, shops, park, schools etc

What are some good neighborhoods for us for the short and long term (renting and buying)? If you can suggest street names to search on google maps, I'd like to see a street view, for residential and shopping districts (like a main street for instance).

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 06:57 AM

56,264 posts, read 80,446,330 times
Look into the outer Southeastern portion of Rochester and into the town of Brighton.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:28 AM

120 posts, read 289,958 times
Ditto on Brighton. I would look around the 12 Corners area That is where Monroe Avenue, Elmwood Avenue and Winton Road converge. Look at the streets off those roads in the 14618 zip code. Those are walkable to the high school and Middle school as well as a couple of restaurants etc.

Any place around the above mentioned roads are maybe 15 minutes to U of R, at most. It's not far mileage wise but mostly surface roads.

Good schools, good community.

Brighton has 4 schools
Council Rock Primary
French Road Elementary
Twelve Corners MS
Brighton High School

Very good academically and great music program as well.

Good Luck

Old 03-20-2013, 04:20 PM

Thanks! Is Brighton really a walkable area though? I guess what I'm looking for is a place where you can walk for leisure and browse shops or go to a cafe, like a main street. Brighton looks like it's meant for cars mainly. While we plan to have a car for necessities, we want to not depend on it for everything, and enjoy little main streets where you can wall around, even go grocery shopping or to the bank or other errands.
What about Pittsford? Any other areas?

Old 03-20-2013, 05:12 PM

120 posts, read 289,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaristaJedi View Post
Thanks! Is Brighton really a walkable area though? I guess what I'm looking for is a place where you can walk for leisure and browse shops or go to a cafe, like a main street. Brighton looks like it's meant for cars mainly. While we plan to have a car for necessities, we want to not depend on it for everything, and enjoy little main streets where you can wall around, even go grocery shopping or to the bank or other errands.
What about Pittsford? Any other areas?
Brighton came to mind for it's proximity to UofR and people do walk around the 12 corners. While we lived in the city my kids did a summer arts program in Brighton and several kids rode bikes and walked to it. And families walked to the performances. Brighton has a large Jewish population so a lot of people walk to and from temple on Fridays.

Yes a village like Pittsford, Fairport or even Victor on the Eastside have walkability to shops, the library etc but you would lose that walkability to the middle and high schools (except maybe Sutherland High School in Pittsford. You also lose the close proximity to UofR. And I guess it would depend on your definition of close. Nothing in Rochester is much more than a 30 minute drive and that's in the outlying suburbs. Pretty much everything else is "15 minutes" by car.

You also have Spencerport and Brockport on the Westside.

As for the city. That's a possibility as well especially the South Wedge and Park Ave area. Again, close proximity to UofR and walkable. The issue with the city could be schools but since you have an infant, it might be worth starting there and there are a few good elementary schools in the City (in spite of all the bad press) so by the time your child is ready for school you may have found something in the city, school wise, you like. Today I would say #23 in the Park Ave Area, 12 in the South Wedge, 58 over in the arts district which is going to be a K-12 school with expeditionary learning etc.

Here's a good site for City Neighborhoods Home - Rochester City Living

Old 03-20-2013, 05:41 PM

Here's another good guide: Rochester Wiki - The People's Guide to Rochester

You may also like city neighborhoods like Upper Mount Hope, Swillburg, Highland Park and Upper Monroe.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:56 PM

Also, here is a streetview of the 12 Corners area of Brighton: Google Maps Street View

Old 03-21-2013, 12:25 AM

Thanks guys, this was all super helpful!

Old 03-21-2013, 06:22 PM

97 posts, read 159,667 times
Park Avenue and the South Wedge are both great, walkable city neighborhoods with good elementary schools. The South Wedge school has actually just expanded to eighth grade. Park Avenue is more aimed at young adults, though. There's a huge student population and the vast majority of people are renters. For a family interested in buying a home, I would lean towards the South Wedge, which is very diverse and has a ton of neighborhood pride.

https://rocwiki.org/Southeast_Quadrant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area