U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,344 times

Advertisements

Hi all, looks like I'm moving my wife and son to upstate new york to pursue a postdoc at UofR. We were looking at buying a house in brighton, but houses in our price range are flying off the market, so we've decided we'll be renting at first. Problem is where? Ideally I would like to walk and or bus to UofR.
However, South-wedge/strong seems to be decidedly mnjeh as far as safety goes, muggings and shootings , even though lots of people say it's "fine" online. Park Avenue seems like it might be a good bet. Does anybody have thoughts on the apartments/town houses that dot the eastern part of brighton?

Sorry for the semi vague nature of the inquiry I'm in data gathering mode and thanks in advance.

ps. if you're a land lord and have something that would fit us (2bd/1ba, 3bd/1ba preferred) let me know. We're extremely responsible + friendly, and I'm super handy if you needed help with repairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 08:43 PM

55 posts, read 106,335 times
If you want to be close to U of R, rent a house in the South Wedge/Strong neighborhoods. They are not unsafe. There aren't muggings and shootings there. Not sure who you're hearing that from. If I lived in Highland Park, Swillburg, or Park Avenue I'd probably want to drive to U of R, but you might decide it's worth it if you like Park Avenue (which is where I rented when I first moved to town, and I didn't regret it).

If you want apartment complex/townhouse living in Brighton that is close to U of R, check out 1600 Elmwood (upscale apartments), Imperial South apartments (same excellent management but fewer amenities), or the Elmwood Terrace townhouses. Also look into Rustic Village - huge complex reasonably close to U of R.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:12 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,883,543 times
Will your son be going to public school? If so that might make quite a difference. Brighton schools are among the best in the state and nationally ranked. The Rochester City schools are overall pretty bad. There are a decent amount of apartment/townhome communities in the west end of Brighton where you could find a rental with the requirements you are looking for. It is going to be a challenge to find a lot of single family homes for rent in Brighton but the northern areas of Henrietta may have a few more.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,344 times
Thanks for the responses! The shootings and mugging data came off of spot crime for the last couple of months. The kiddo won't be in school for another three years and we would consider driving him to a charter school or something.

I will definitely look at those aparments, we were looking at elmwood avenue (I think was the name of the complex, on lilac street) and their town houses seemed to strike a pretty good bargain.

Thanks for all the tups!

Old 04-09-2013, 05:55 AM

56,327 posts, read 80,558,485 times
This may help in terms of where to look, while having the option of using a bus line: Buses and Shuttles :: University of Rochester

Here's the South Wedge info, btw: South Wedge, Rochester, NY Neighborhood Crime Map, Statistics, Alerts and Reports

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-09-2013 at 06:35 AM..

Old 04-09-2013, 11:22 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,651,444 times
Check out Clintwood Court apartments. A stone's throw from UofR. One must consider the horrid traffic situation around the campus/Strong around rush hour, especially in the morning. They're expanding and have some monstrosity of a 'college town' or whatever that's being built, plus the new children's hospital, so traffic will be bad there for a while. Better to be close, say near Elmwood (hint-hint) out in Brighton.

Lots of young professionals, retirees, etc., a good mix of folks in that complex.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:52 AM

56,327 posts, read 80,558,485 times
Here's a good guide for searching for area apartments: Rochester, NY apartments and classified listings from the The Renters Guide Magazine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area