Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 03:23 PM

96 posts, read 394,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNP777 View Post
My daughter worked at Strong and lived nearby in a rental apt. But she took me to Brighton, Henrietta, Webster and Greece to visit the areas. I will probably be working near Strong as a nurse practitioner. My husband has worked in "challenging areas out here in Southern CA., and does already have a master's. Neither of us mind a commute. We would like to live in a more quiet suburb (not the most expensive). My daughter also took me to a community near Lake Ontario, but I don't remember the name. The homes were pretty large so I imagine the area was probably expensive. Hope this helps some.
If you want to be near Strong, Brighton is adjacent to the part of the city where Strong is and has fantastic schools. If you don't mind a commute and want to be near the lake, West Irondequoit has a very good school district and very good schools (not to be confused with E. Irondequoit-- same town but very different school district). Webster is a very nice community near the lake, more "burby" with lots of developments as well as older homes, but a longer commute (it's all relative though since you are from Cal.). Webster schools are good, not great. Pittsford and Brighton have the best schools, although Victor and Penfield are highly rated. You can go to a website called homesteadnet.com and see what real estate is available at what price. Brighton is very sought after because it is a fantastic community with really tremendous schools, a lot of super bright kids and adjacent to the city. Housing stock tends to be older, small and on small lots. But that doesn't stop people from having dogs and there are many, many parks to choose from here where people and dogs convene. Again, more details would help in terms of housing style, amount of land, ages of kids, type of school and ambience, conservative vs. liberal, etc. I would be glad to help out as I think I can narrow things down for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 04:37 PM

4 posts, read 11,052 times
I am looking for an area that has at least 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots available. I would like to have a home no more than 20 years old. I am conservative and have kids ages 7, 19 and 27. Only the 7 year old will be in school. The 19 year old is looking to go to SUNY. I'd like a 2 story style home with a porch, and very quiet area. Right now we actually live in Big Bear, CA to get away from the craziness of Southern CA, but we commute down the mountain (about 50 miles, 1 and 1/2 hr , 2-3 hrs during winter). I am not looking for something as remote as Big Bear, but a quiet area would be nice. West Irondequoit sounds very nice and may have been the area that my daughter took me to. Thank you so much for all the help that you have given so far.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:16 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,689 times
Quote:
I am looking for an area that has at least 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots available. I would like to have a home no more than 20 years old. I am conservative and have kids ages 7, 19 and 27. Only the 7 year old will be in school. The 19 year old is looking to go to SUNY. I'd like a 2 story style home with a porch, and very quiet area. Right now we actually live in Big Bear, CA to get away from the craziness of Southern CA, but we commute down the mountain (about 50 miles, 1 and 1/2 hr , 2-3 hrs during winter). I am not looking for something as remote as Big Bear, but a quiet area would be nice. West Irondequoit sounds very nice and may have been the area that my daughter took me to. Thank you so much for all the help that you have given so far.
Pay scale said the average pay with 10 years experience for a Math teacher is 48,900 to 55,000. The NYS dol says entry level is $39,980, median is $56,620, mean is $61,850, and experienced is $72,790. NYS dol say that there are about 250 job openings a year for a secondary teacher.

For places to live it is a little difficult to get a neighborhood that is conservative and having young homes. Most of the home in Rochester neighborhoods average 40 to 60 years old with about around 15% being built in the past 15 years. The most recent developed areas are webster, victor, and penfield.Victor is a little further away from the rest of the suburbs but is one of the most conservative areas. Penfield is one of the areas that is split down the middle 50/50 but the houses in the area average 31 years and 25% of them have been built in the past 20 years. There have been a lot of developments that were built in webster the past 5 years and it has grown in population pretty quickly.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:40 PM

525 posts, read 1,827,768 times
Quote:
I'd take a look at the Ogden/Chili area. It has the housing stock you are looking for and is an easy commute to SUNY Brockport. Both Churchville and Spencerport are good schools and the area is much more conservative than the Brighton area.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Check out Mendon-- you'll love it. Spencerport and Pittsford are good choices also. I am not sure what your price range is-- Mendon is pricier by Roch. standards but you are coming from California so it is all relative. Webster also has lots of new builds, is a quiet, conservative area. But Mendon is super charming and more countrified.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:00 PM

4 posts, read 11,052 times
Thanks everyone for your help. I am looking forward to learning about the areas you guys suggested.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:47 AM

23 posts, read 69,667 times
Recently, I travelled to Rochester, NY, Webster, NY and Ontario, NY. I am a single, black professional and am curious about racism in the neighboring Rochester, NY communities; namely Ontario, Webster, Pittsford, Brighton. I plan to move to either Ontario, Webster, or Pittsfod, but I just wanted a heads-up on the possible reaction to a black man walking through the neighborhood. Also, what apartments, condos, or housing areas would you recommend? Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:38 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citysmart View Post
Recently, I travelled to Rochester, NY, Webster, NY and Ontario, NY. I am a single, black professional and am curious about racism in the neighboring Rochester, NY communities; namely Ontario, Webster, Pittsford, Brighton. I plan to move to either Ontario, Webster, or Pittsfod, but I just wanted a heads-up on the possible reaction to a black man walking through the neighborhood. Also, what apartments, condos, or housing areas would you recommend? Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I am in a interacial relationship and I have never seen or experience any problems in all of new york. Rent varies from 550 to 800 on average. The Suburbs you have mention have a very low population of AA.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citysmart View Post
An absolute non-issue in Brighton. Ontario is in a neighboring and rural county and I would guess that would be last on your list. Cops have been known to hassle African Americans in Irondequoit which is up on the lake and next to Webster. Webster is a very white suburb, removed from the city, a little insular, and more conservative than Brighton or Pittsford and my guess is that might not be the best choice. Pittsford would probably be ok but more white than Brighton. Brighton is most ethnically diverse and progressive of all on your list but you really won't have any probs in Pittsford or Brighton.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:45 PM

23 posts, read 69,667 times
Thank you so much for the information, as I greatly appreciate it. I will look into moving to Brighton or Pittsford. In terms of crime, how are these two cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area