U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 04:07 PM

41 posts, read 64,965 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am currently living in NYC and thinking of moving to pittsford for its great schools and lower cost of living. Can you please share how life in Pittsford is like? Places to shop for groceries in town? Malls and restaurants near by? Also, how cold is winter time and a lot of snow? Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 09:51 PM

14 posts, read 16,136 times
I lived in Rochester moved to NYC. Rochester is a dying city, job market is terrible, most young people leave after college, 8 ft of snow per yr, it's one of the most cloudy city in the US (little sunshine from Dec-end of Apr). The COL is low because there is a population decline in the area; simple supply/demand economics. House costs are low; however your house will depreciate because of a declining population. There are better places to move than Rochester. Rochester was a good place to move to pre-1980s.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:54 AM

56,565 posts, read 80,847,919 times
There is a Wegmans in Pittsford, I believe and plenty of shopping not too far away in Henrietta. Pittsford is arguably the most affluent community in Upstate NY as well. So, it is more expensive than most suburbs, but is very nice, including a nice walkable village. Here is some weather information: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Actually, the Rochester metro had a modest population increase between 2000-2010.

Last edited by Yac; 05-14-2013 at 07:00 AM..

Old 05-10-2013, 07:01 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,900,687 times
Pittsford is a family-friendly growing town (and as previously mentioned, the Rochester area is actually gaining population all be it modestly) with a downtown village surrounded by more typical newer suburban developments. It's a fairly expensive area on Rochester/Upstate standards but compared to the NYC region it will seem like a pretty big bargain. The one concern is that you haven't mentioned your employment situation yet. I would secure a job before moving here and then focus on where you want to live once you know where you will be working. You definitely don't want to move here (or anywhere) without a job lined up first or at the very least some solid leads and a comfortable amount of savings; especially if you plan on buying a house in Pittsford.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:28 AM

289 posts, read 339,323 times
Have you even seen Fargo!!! Lol. Great place from the end of May untill the end of September. Like previous stated low cost of living is for a reason. Plz name a outstanding place that is thriving with a low col.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:09 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,627,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlook View Post
Have you even seen Fargo!!! Lol. Great place from the end of May untill the end of September. Like previous stated low cost of living is for a reason. Plz name a outstanding place that is thriving with a low col.
A large amount of places in the southeastern area of the US(Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, etc)

Old 05-16-2013, 03:40 PM

I believe the COL in Rochester is lower then the above mentioned places. For sure Milk, Produce and Restraunts. Housing, property taxes and gasoline yes they are better where you have named. I would say overall COL is not cheaper in the southeasern parts of the country.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:20 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,627,844 times
Quote:
I believe the COL in Rochester is lower then the above mentioned places. For sure Milk, Produce and Restraunts. Housing, property taxes and gasoline yes they are better where you have named. I would say overall COL is not cheaper in the southeasern parts of the country.
A) some are little lower, some are a little higher, some are about the same
B) you were asking for places with a low COL overall, and those places offer a generally low COL, in the same tier as the Roch area. But you're posting from from one of your troll accounts so I'm sure you'll find some way to nitpick this.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:50 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,758,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRochesterian View Post
8 ft of snow per yr
The average since they've been keeping records since the 1800's is around 90 inches per year. Let's not act like all 90 inches fall at one time. Also the last few winters have been milder. And not everywhere gets the same weather even in the same area.

I live in a town that is also a city - make sense? LOL The city is on Seneca Lake and they get insane weather I don't get at my house. I'm half a mile from the lake the way a crow flies. So proximity to water and mountains and who knows what can affect the weather as well.

The OP is from NYC who does get snow. And now massive hurricanes. Lots of people looking to get out of there after that mess.

ROC is a great area for families. Plenty to do with kids and it's pretty safe. That's not to say there isn't crime because there is some. There will be some anywhere that humans are located. But this is far from the rough areas of Detroit.

Wonder what the OP will do for employment. Wages up here are also far less than NYC. That ties in with the COL.

Quote:
You hit the nail on the head! Milk costs me less than half of what it cost me in SC. All dairy products are cheaper here. Produce and meat is significantly less also which seemed odd. Most grocery stores sold Cali peaches even though SC is the #1 peach producing state and you could drive 5 miles out of the city there were each orchards. Still not sure how those Cali peaches were cheaper to sell!

Housing isn't always cheaper. Most of it is newer and that is typically cheaper for several reasons. One being the low wages paid for labor. When my house was built, there were many immigrants used and most didn't speak English. Their legal status was also an issue.

Property taxes may be less than NY. It depends where you are. THat isn't always the case. You also have to add on the personal property taxes. Those can add up quickly if you have a lot of toys or live in an incorporated area.

Gas is cheaper in many Southern states, but not all! Parts of NC is higher than my area. Weird. I know.

Overall, I didn't find a huge difference in the COL. Maybe on the huge purchases in life such as a house, but in the day to day living, it was more for things like groceries and eating out. Very few mom & pop places. It was almost all chains.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:50 AM

If speaking of SC I feel even with the personal tax, SC still beats WNY in the tax comparisons. But I agree with the rest of what you have stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area