U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2006, 11:40 AM

4,356 posts, read 5,283,890 times

Advertisements

Hello there,

Can anyone give their input as to which of the following are desireable neighborhoods? Looking to relocate and searching for a nice area with low crime, good schools, restaurants, shopping and things to do.
Also which of the areas would tend to have turn of the century homes?

14621 Neighborhood
The 19th Ward
Beechwood
Browncroft
Charlotte
Cobbs Hill
Corn Hill
Culver-Winton-Main
Ellwanger Barry
Grove Place
Historic Maplewood
Neighborhood of the Arts
North Winton Village
Park-Meigs
Plymouth-Exchange
South Wedge
Strong
Susan B. Anthony
Swillburg
Upper Monroe
Wadsworth Square
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Lax

58 posts, read 424,560 times
I lived in the Park-Meigs neighborhood when I was in the area. Its a very nice area, older homes, well kept. Many little cafes and shops. I have also heard that the "south wedge" is an up and comming neighborhood with many little shops popping up. Corn Hill is nice, but is right next to an undesirable neighborhood.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:17 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,904,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Hello there,

Can anyone give their input as to which of the following are desireable neighborhoods? Looking to relocate and searching for a nice area with low crime, good schools, restaurants, shopping and things to do.
Also which of the areas would tend to have turn of the century homes?
14621 Neighborhood-high crime area, it's very diverse, but kind of run down
The 19th Ward- an Island of a nice neighborhood surrounded on all sides by probably the worst neighborhoods in the city; If you didn't plan on venturring too far from this neighborhood, it wouldn't be a huge deal, but otherwise, there's much better
Beechwood- A longstanding blue-collar neighborhood. Mosttly older people, but it does give it some charecter. The houses are rather plain compared to what you can find in other areas of the city
Browncroft-Beautiful neighborhood, it's not very close to downtown, but it has the largest houses in the city (outisde of East Avenue). 1910-30's tudors dominate this neighborhood.
Charlotte-probably the most unique neighborhood in the city. It was once it's own village until the city of Rochester annexed it in 1915, and it still feels like it's own small town in many ways. It's right on Lake Ontario and home to the Port of Rochester.
Cobbs Hill - Most scenic neighborhood in the city that's not on water. Tree-lines streets with most houses built in the 1900's and 1910's, the western areas are somewhat more suburban in nature, similar to Browncroft.
Corn Hill The oldest maintained neighborhood in the city of Rochester. Most of the houses were built in the 1830's-1850's, but there are also homes from as early as the 1820's, and Corn Hill Landing; a brand new luxury condo development right on the Genesee River. It's also in sort of a "pocket", being in an otherwise undesirable area of the city; but not as bad as the 19th ward because it is very close to downtown and just accross the river from the much nicer east side of the city. Corn Hill has some of the coolest houses in the city.
Culver-Winton-Main- Pretty much a nice family neighborhood. Most of the homes were built in the 1920's and are all very well maintained with nice yards.
Ellwanger Barry- Similar to Culver-Winton Main only in a much more convienient location. Closer to downtown, UofR, and the Park and Monroe Avenue areas. The houses tend to have more detail too, and the two largest parks in the city, Cobbs Hiill and Highland, are right there
Grove Place- A tiny neighborhood right in the middle of downtown. This area is mostly students with a few professionals. It has a row of 1870's townhomes, unlike anything else in the city, also a few 1880's victorians
Historic Maplewood This is the neighborhood where my family settled when they first came to Rochester in the late 1800's.It's sad because it is a very nice historic neighborhood with beautiful streets like Lake Ave; but it is also right next to the less than attractive Kodak Park, so you see smokestacks at every corner and there is a lot of pollution.
Neighborhood of the Arts Usually combined with Upper Monroe and Park Meigs to be known collectively as the "Park Avenue area). By far the triendiest area of the city, where most of the young people go. It has some of the finest architecture in the city. Classic turn of the century homes definitley make up the bulk of this area's housing stock.
North Winton Village Pretty much the same thing as Culver-Winton-Main, a little more upper-middle class though
Park-Meigs- See; Neighborhood of the Arts
Plymouth-Exchange- The Ghetto, don't know what else to say really. Not one I would suggest
South Wedge A very up and coming area, one of the oldest neighorhoods that is just accross the river from Corn Hill. Many homes from the civil war era to the 1880's. Definitely a good place to invest in a home or small business
Strong Sort of like a mix between the Park Avenue area and Ellwanger-Barry. Nice place.
Susan B. Anthony Well, pretty much it's just like Plymouth Exchange. It's only redeeming quality is the fact that Susan B. Anthony's house is there, and it's a museum.
Swillburg One of my favorite neighborhoods in the city. It's just your typical pre WWII american neighhbohood. Most of the houses were built in the 20's, classic American 4 Square design with some nice architecture. Still pretty family oriented; a lot of young couple's buy thier first house here before they have kids and move to the suburbs. , it's right next to Cobbs Hill too.

Upper Monroe- See; Neighborhood of the Arts
Wadsworth Square Another tiny "Neighborhood" that is really only a few very short streets. Pretty much an extention of downtown beyond the Inner Loop. Some nice 1800's houses though.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:45 PM

306 posts, read 1,491,272 times
Another great posting (as usual), i'minformed! I'm going to print it out and use it the next time I'm going to Rochester. Makes me want to be there right now!

That's another thing that suburbs, exurbs, malls, and car-centered new "cities" don't have: distinct and memorable neighborhoods. Texture, connections, roots. When I lived in Buffalo, you had to be careful about what neighborhood you were in, what you were near, etc. But at least *where* you were meant something. It was like hiking, in a way, or fishing a river: you had to read your environment and think. You couldn't shut down and live within yourself or in your bubble of self-entertainment. Not just to keep yourself out of danger, but because you *wanted* to experience the different neighborhoods on their own terms. It wasn't the everywhere-is-the-same kind of lifelessness that so much of suburbanized America now has. Glad to know that Rochester too is so distinctive, and that most of the neighborhoods listed have a lot to recommend them. If this country ever gets a handle on crime and social dysfunction, and curbs just a bit of our addiction to The Car, our cities would become real magnets and engines of civilization again. People are clearly yearning for connection, tradition, a human scale, and the importance of place in their lives.

Thanks for sharing all this, i'minformed!

Old 10-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Lax

58 posts, read 424,560 times
Another thing about the 14621 community. When I did live in the area, I knew a few people that worked in the law enforcement field. There was an area in the 14621 community (forgot the name) that had a very high number of murders,nightly shootings and high drug trafficking (more than you would hear about on the news). I think the area is in the northeast part. I'd stay away from that area entirely.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:32 PM

944 posts, read 3,536,740 times
Avoid Wadsworth at all costs. I used to live there and a buddy of mine lives there now. We were hanging on the porch and a homeless dude literally took a dump in my friend's front yard - RIGHT IN FRONT OF US!

His house has been broken into many times. When I lived there people used to smash bottles in the street, throw rocks through windows, etc. Almost everyone that parked in the street got their side-views smashed off because Marshall St. is so narrow. Garbage and dog crap everywhere.

The club on the corner use to be a drug joint called Fat Cat's. The hood hasn't totally shaken that rep.

In 2003ish it was "up and coming" and some investors bought up some property there. Young and rational money has since moved out and moved on.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:27 AM

4,356 posts, read 5,283,890 times
I'minformed I love you!
Your posts are always thorough and informative (actually I didn't expect anything less from you lol)

Thanks for the great info. Now I just need to find me a 1920's Craftsman Bungalow.

Hey Muggy, did that homeless dude pick up after himself at least? lol

Old 10-11-2006, 07:41 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,904,043 times
Glad I could help. Check Moderator cut: realtor link. It's the numer one real estate agency in Rochester by far. They have very detailed listings that include many pictures, virtual tours, and the tax bills for the house.

Last edited by Yac; 10-12-2006 at 09:41 AM..

Old 10-12-2006, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 10,317 times
Default Rochester

Rochester is nice...I have lived here all of my life with the exception of College. I think Park-Meigs would be most appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area