Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 05:22 PM

69 posts, read 147,037 times

Advertisements

This past weekend, my fiancé, her parents, and myself, all visited Rochester with the objective being to evaluate the area as a potential relocation spot for all of us.

While I had visited numerous times previously, it had been years since my most recent visit, and I was reminded of both the good and bad elements. On one hand, the food was excellent, the people were very nice, housing costs are very reasonable, and it's proximity to Lake Ontario and the Finger Lakes are both beautiful and convenient.

On the other hand, the property tax rate is among the highest in the nation, and there is a strange ambiguity to the neighborhoods which reminded me of Miami.

Now, when I say "strange ambiguity to the neighborhoods" what I mean is that there is no definitive border between the "less than desirable" areas, and the "cleaner and nicer areas". On one block one cannot escape the ominous feeling like you could get stabbed at any moment, and on the next block one thinks to oneself "this looks like a great place to raise a family". There seems to me no socioeconomic rhyme or reason to the configuration of the neighborhoods in places like Greece, Irondequoit, Chili, and Gates.

Thus, my first question is - is this impression of mine correct? Are the neighborhoods in fact just bumbling collections of all incomes, social statuses, and mixed demographics? I mean, how can one house have a firebird on blocks in their front lawn, and then two doors down have a beautiful home with an S500 in the driveway? Truth be told, I am not judging at all - I am simply genuinely curious. Certain sections of Miami are the only places I have ever seen that type of disparity right next to each other.

My second question is simply one that baffled my fiancés parents. We searched and searched for four nights, and didn't find a single place for them to dance. Now, granted, they are moving from Brooklyn, and I am moving from Miami - we don't expect Rochester to be the same, in fact, we are all looking for a place to slow down. However, are there no places in the Greater Rochester Area to grab dinner and do some dancing? Ballroom? Tango? Anything? Her parents are getting ready to retire, and dancing in their passion, and without it they could be a little lost. Thus, if anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful.

So there you have it - I would love to hear from anyone who could shed some light of the socio economic demographics of the neighborhoods, as well as any ballroom or tango restaurants.

Thank You again for all your insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 06:51 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
There are virtually no areas in any of the suburbs where I feel like the idea of "could be stabbed any minute" is really an issue. There are some areas of southeast Greece, Gates, and southern Irondequoit that are a little rough around the edges and could use a facelift; but home-ownership rates in all of those towns is very high and the overwhelming majority of the population of those towns are middle-class families and retirees.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
There are virtually no areas in any of the suburbs where I feel like the idea of "could be stabbed any minute" is really an issue. There are some areas of southeast Greece, Gates, and southern Irondequoit that are a little rough around the edges and could use a facelift; but home-ownership rates in all of those towns is very high and the overwhelming majority of the population of those towns are middle-class families and retirees.
Thank you for your feedback. I certainly was exaggerating a bit, but it was in an effort to emphasize my point. The diversity, socioeconomically that is, was just very rare. At one point, traveling north from Savoia Pastry Shoppe, I literally saw a house with bars on the windows, a Rottweiler on the porch, and an empty oil drum on the lawn right next to a house that was beautifully landscaped, immaculately taken care of, and aesthetically beautiful.

I have lived in Boston, Miami, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Vermont, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, and traveled all over the globe for my work, and I have never seen something so dramatic as that landscape in Rochester. It was just foreign to me - but perhaps I am overreacting because I do not know Rochester well enough to understand it's unique personality.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:34 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeluzzo View Post
Thank you for your feedback. I certainly was exaggerating a bit, but it was in an effort to emphasize my point. The diversity, socioeconomically that is, was just very rare. At one point, traveling north from Savoia Pastry Shoppe, I literally saw a house with bars on the windows, a Rottweiler on the porch, and an empty oil drum on the lawn right next to a house that was beautifully landscaped, immaculately taken care of, and aesthetically beautiful.

I have lived in Boston, Miami, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Vermont, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, and traveled all over the globe for my work, and I have never seen something so dramatic as that landscape in Rochester. It was just foreign to me - but perhaps I am overreacting because I do not know Rochester well enough to understand it's unique personality.
The area around Savoia Pastry shop is a transitional zone so you'll get a bit of the bad and a bit of the good, so what you saw was accurate. In the suburban areas, not so much due to the lower rental numbers. I find the more run down homes in suburban areas to be owned be elderly persons who can't take care of their homes but refuse to move. But I've seen this virtually everywhere I've been with the exception of Burlington VT. It's funny because I've notice more of what you describe in Florida and less once you get more into the Northeast as far as a nice place next to a run down place.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
The area around Savoia Pastry shop is a transitional zone so you'll get a bit of the bad and a bit of the good, so what you saw was accurate. In the suburban areas, not so much due to the lower rental numbers. I find the more run down homes in suburban areas to be owned be elderly persons who can't take care of their homes but refuse to move. But I've seen this virtually everywhere I've been with the exception of Burlington VT. It's funny because I've notice more of what you describe in Florida and less once you get more into the Northeast as far as a nice place next to a run down place.
In reference to my original post, I would agree in terms of Florida. In Miami, you literally have ghetto's like Overtown within shouting distance of places like Bayfront Park and Brickell Key. Rochester reminded me slightly of what South Beach was like in the early 90's.......one massive transition. There was a mansion built half a block from a tenement. It was anarchy and property and neighborhood lines weren't divided by space, but rather walls. There would just be a gated community with eight foot walls containing million dollar homes, and outside the walls there were families struggling to eat.

I also lived on Colchester Avenue in Burlington, VT as well. So I can value the comparison.

So, if in fact the transitional areas of Rochester are so frequent, my question is - why is the transition so slow? Is it a stagnant economy? Is it unfunded and unfinished public works projects? Is it a refusal of families to move out and sell, while developers then are forced into the more rural areas?

All of this is relevant for me because the cost of living, the quality of schools, and the overall tax burden seems to fluctuate considerably from places like Greece, Gates, and Irondequoit to places like Victor, Pittsford, and Webster. I speak of course only in regards to statistical data and census records. I have no actual living experience in the area - hence, me being so inquisitive here.

Thank You for your response and feedback.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:31 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeluzzo View Post
In reference to my original post, I would agree in terms of Florida. In Miami, you literally have ghetto's like Overtown within shouting distance of places like Bayfront Park and Brickell Key. Rochester reminded me slightly of what South Beach was like in the early 90's.......one massive transition. There was a mansion built half a block from a tenement. It was anarchy and property and neighborhood lines weren't divided by space, but rather walls. There would just be a gated community with eight foot walls containing million dollar homes, and outside the walls there were families struggling to eat.

I also lived on Colchester Avenue in Burlington, VT as well. So I can value the comparison.

So, if in fact the transitional areas of Rochester are so frequent, my question is - why is the transition so slow? Is it a stagnant economy? Is it unfunded and unfinished public works projects? Is it a refusal of families to move out and sell, while developers then are forced into the more rural areas?

All of this is relevant for me because the cost of living, the quality of schools, and the overall tax burden seems to fluctuate considerably from places like Greece, Gates, and Irondequoit to places like Victor, Pittsford, and Webster. I speak of course only in regards to statistical data and census records. I have no actual living experience in the area - hence, me being so inquisitive here.

Thank You for your response and feedback.
It has more to do with family flight to the suburbs. Some of the city neighborhoods that fit the description are filled with poorer people who can't afford the suburbs or older people who refuse to move. The nicer areas of the city where you don't see where you don't see the bad next to the good are filled with younger people and empty nesters who have no concerns about the schools.
I am in Irondequoit and the tax burden is horrible. We have two school districts which aren't needed and create lots of unnecessary jobs that burden the tax payers.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:53 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
It has more to do with family flight to the suburbs. Some of the city neighborhoods that fit the description are filled with poorer people who can't afford the suburbs or older people who refuse to move. The nicer areas of the city where you don't see where you don't see the bad next to the good are filled with younger people and empty nesters who have no concerns about the schools.
I am in Irondequoit and the tax burden is horrible. We have two school districts which aren't needed and create lots of unnecessary jobs that burden the tax payers.
Another aspect with the very nice city/urban neighborhoods is that many of those people with kids are going with private schools anyway, get into the good charter schools, homeschool or are the families with kids that get into the good programs or schools in the public city school district(School of the Arts, the IB program at Wilson Magnet, Francis Parker Elementary, etc.). So, as long as the neighborhood is stable and they get the school situation they want, then those families see no reason to move. This isn't just a Rochester thing, but is common with Upstate NY and many other "older" cities as well.

As for the area suburbs, I wouldn't worry much, as the other posts stated. There is a reputation that the Western suburbs aren't as affluent as the Eastern suburbs, but there are plenty of nice areas, old and new, in the Western suburbs. Actually, my sister and her family live in a newer area in Chili that is fine, with a nice mix of people. So, it may be a matter of finding a neighborhood that feels right.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:02 AM

702 posts, read 2,184,717 times
I have not visited these, but a quick Google search shows there are places to dance around the city.
Dance Studio Rochester NY | Ballroom Dance Lessons | Weddings | Group Lessons | Wheelchair Dancing | Let's Dance Rochester Dance Studiio |
Tango Cafe Dance Studio | 389 Gregory St, Rochester NY 14620 (585) 271-4930
susiebballroom | The Leader in Ballroom Dancing…

Old 05-29-2013, 11:15 AM

Thank you again to all who have replied to all of inquiries. You are answering these questions very clearly and with honesty. It is quite appreciated.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Another aspect with the very nice city/urban neighborhoods is that many of those people with kids are going with private schools anyway, get into the good charter schools, homeschool or are the families with kids that get into the good programs or schools in the public city school district(School of the Arts, the IB program at Wilson Magnet, Francis Parker Elementary, etc.). So, as long as the neighborhood is stable and they get the school situation they want, then those families see no reason to move. This isn't just a Rochester thing, but is common with Upstate NY and many other "older" cities as well.

As for the area suburbs, I wouldn't worry much, as the other posts stated. There is a reputation that the Western suburbs aren't as affluent as the Eastern suburbs, but there are plenty of nice areas, old and new, in the Western suburbs. Actually, my sister and her family live in a newer area in Chili that is fine, with a nice mix of people. So, it may be a matter of finding a neighborhood that feels right.

So then, if I might ask (both of you and Garmin239), as it pertains to Western New York in general, if the tax burdens overall are high, with property tax obviously being extremely high, where are all these funds collected by tax payers allocated to? I mean, in my few short visits to the area, I enjoyed it very much. In terms of a place to slow down, with abundant natural resources, well priced homes, and seemingly well priced services (hotels, restaurants, public parking, etc etc) it hits on all cylinders for myself and my extended family. But as I did not see many public works projects in the area (other than a few aesthetically pleasing public parks) I cannot help but wonder where all the tax dollars go?

I work in business analytics and behavioral finance, so my mind feeds off of reason and numbers. So when I step outside of "statistics", I look for the relevance of how those statistics are being put to work. I know that some places have outstanding public schools, and that in other areas of Greater Rochester are very safe with well funded and staffed police forces and public utility workers, but where else do they go? For example, the taxation in Irondequoit is outrageous. It reminds me of where my fiancés family lives in Southern Connecticut. However, in Irondequoit, since it is both it's own sovereign area financially, as well as part of "Rochester", are Irondequoit residence paying for their sovereign taxes due, their school taxes, their state taxes, Monroe County taxes, AND taxes to the City of Rochester? Are dollars paid by someone living North of Titus Avenue into the works projects and support of programs in Rochester itself?

I realize I am asking a lot of you as residents to shed some light on this - but it is relevant in the grand scheme. My fiancés parents are preparing to retire, and Forbes recently ranked Connecticut as the "Worst Place to Retire in America". Housing costs are outrageous, town, county, and state tax burdens pertaining to sales, merchants, assets, and operations are out of control. They are subject to an estate, inheritance, death, and probate tax which requires settlement of wills to be monitored by Family and Probate Court to paid a percentage of the estate. Taxes are going up, housing values are going down, and the burden of the cap is being passed onto all residents, and the funds are only being used to pay the states debts.

Imagine a state with New York like property taxes (although admittedly not as bad), Illinois like debt, New Jersey like estate, inheritance, death, and settlement taxes, and property costs like Southern California. Basically, that is Connecticut - and retirees get almost no exemptions of any kind.

So prior to committing ourselves to the Rochester Area, which we all enjoy very much, I would like to hear from residents (as opposed to only analyzing statistics as I usually do) as it pertains to this question;

Where do your tax dollars go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area