Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2014, 06:29 PM

18 posts, read 24,489 times

Advertisements

Beach give or take. Walking thru a village on a fall day Priceless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 06:39 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,298,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeps77 View Post
Yes I would agree money isn't happiness. Red Ants, High humidity and alligators isn't happiness to me. With that said it isn't a wrong way of life either.
More Northern exaggeration and bias once again. Alligators apparently roam the streets here!

This thread is more for people interested in moving to the South or have lived in both places. Not visited a few hotels and watched a lot of TV.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:04 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,803,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There are people that like lakes, waterfalls, canyons and mountains/hills. So, even that will vary.
Of course. I like those landscapes too. Its not a matter of certain landscapes being better than another, nor is it a matter of this place vs that place. Some things just ARE. People just vacation along the coast. 39% of the US population lives in a county that borders the ocean. It just is.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Of course. I like those landscapes too. Its not a matter of certain landscapes being better than another, nor is it a matter of this place vs that place. Some things just ARE. People just vacation along the coast. 39% of the US population lives in a county that borders the ocean. It just is.
Not to mention living by the ocean is better for your health and well being!

Apparently some people forgot about the rules of supply and demand and why property values on the ocean are so high.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:18 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,542,365 times
Quote:
But the northern pay scale is so much better. The southern col is over rated from what I have heard. I will give you gas prices are much better in the south.
Yes, but the roads are really crappy in many areas. There are still many, many, many dirt roads in many areas in SC. I know because I had to drive over them frequently. I watched on road get pavement for the first time ever and it was over 100 years old. Dirt roads SUCK to drive on! Think potholes and bumps the whole way. Not fun. Your vehicle doesn't like them either. Horses didn't seem to mind them though.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Lets think about inland cities- Rochester, Manchester, Worcester, Hartford, Albany, all the Thruway cities, Allentown, PA; Harrisburg, etc....all kinda work-a-day boring cities that people do not vacation in or are happy to go to.
Depends on the person! I actually go to Rochester a few times a year to sight see and check out the sites. I'm actually planning a trip to Pittsburgh in the spring. I know it's on a bunch of rivers, but it's not the ocean. Plenty to see and do in many locations without an ocean or body of water.

Which Manchester are you referring to? Loved my day trips to Manchester, VT and weekend trips that included Manchester, NH.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Yes I would agree money isn't happiness. Red Ants, High humidity and alligators isn't happiness to me. With that said it isn't a wrong way of life either.
Oh dear god! RED ANTS!! I so don't miss those evil things! They truly are the spawn of satan! Don't miss the dreadful humidity either! I can breath here. Had lots of breathing problems when I lived in SC. Didn't have an alligator problem, but the $#%&@%# red ants made up for it! And the mosquitos that gave mocking birds a run for their money.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:02 AM

92,385 posts, read 122,662,773 times
Quote:
So, 61% not living in a county that doesn't border the ocean is insignificant? Like you said, you can like both and you can do so not at the expense of the other landscape.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:31 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,803,481 times
Its not insignificant, but what I'm saying is that 39% of the country lives in the narrow strip of counties along the coast. I mentioned a bunch of inland cities, and lets be real- their not vacation hotspots. Of course, someone will prefer to vacation in Rochester and Manchester NH over Myrtle Beach, but hey, that's City Data

Old 01-26-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Its not insignificant, but what I'm saying is that 39% of the country lives in the narrow strip of counties along the coast. I mentioned a bunch of inland cities, and lets be real- their not vacation hotspots. Of course, someone will prefer to vacation in Rochester and Manchester NH over Myrtle Beach, but hey, that's City Data
Haha. It's so sad to hear them desperately defend their dying state and city and pretend people don't prefer the wonderful oceanside over their dirty bacteria-ridden lakes.

Not to mention, the only one of them that has lived in the South, for some reason, lived in Aiken. Can't blame him/her for hating on the South for living there, but not necessarily a good example when comparing Crotchester to Charleston.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in the particulars of why I love it here 400 times more than Rochester, why I think anyone should move from Rochester, feel free to ask or PM me. I am dedicated to helping you leave such a garbage city. I definitely love Charleston, but do the research before moving; I think you can find some great places that will make you happier than you ever thought possible. I am here to help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area