Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 11:24 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,098 times

Advertisements

No bull**** here, Rochester is probably the best city to live in for western New York. There are far worse places to be and Rochester is one of the few cities with a diverse economy and has a lot of things going for it compared to it's neighbors. When I'd left they finished making some good improvements to the downtown and they seemed to be headed on the right track. The Finger Lakes are nice for recreation, very scenic and all. I disagree that there's good skiing, more like a kiddie hill, but whatever.

So if you put a gun to my head and told me I had to choose a Western NY city to live in, I would pick Rochester.

However, compared to other places and depending what that individual is looking for, yes, it does (or can) suck. Not all of it is Rochester's fault. The taxes and government suck balls, and it's not a big city at all- lets face it. So many cities across the USA have the much more to offer better tax environment. If anything the state's tax policies are holding Rochester back. Between RIT and U of R there's the potential for a skilled workforce, but there's no jobs for those graduates. Tech, software and science research jobs aren't exactly copious in Rochester and the majority leave for better job pools in other cities and states. With the crappy tax climate companies are fleeing places like NY and California and relocating to other states, and new tech start-ups aren't exactly lining up around the block to get started in Rochester.

To the OP: Of course Rochester sucks compared to NYC, but that's not a fair comparison at all, having lived in both I'd ask you to compare apples to apples. Syracuse vs. Rochester would be a better comparison if you want to pit cities against each other. That said, NYC sucks balls in many ways too, if you wanna talk about a ****ty quality of life try living on less than 40k in Manhattan like most transplants try to do. You'd be fighting the old ladies in section 8 for the cold cut end scraps that associated puts on sale 3 days after the food expiration date. But, good for you for leaving and that you're happy after your relocation. I never understand why some people resign themselves to stay right where they are when they're miserable. If someone's happy in Rochester, cool! If not, move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 10:53 PM

295 posts, read 296,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotstoboiledpenuts View Post
Now that you've been here for sometime living in both places ,Are you considering a move back to Rochester? Seems like you're somewhat undecided if this was a good move . What are your feelings about the move ( good bad) ?
No, no consideration for that. I've come to terms a bit more with people that want to like Rochester. To each their own. I don't respect them, but I definitely understand.

Will never move back to NY though.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:34 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineskyscrapers View Post
No, no consideration for that. I've come to terms a bit more with people that want to like Rochester. To each their own. I don't respect them, but I definitely understand.

Will never move back to NY though.
You don't respect us that like Rochester and you've come to terms with us????? That's quite the bizarre thing to say. I've never felt the need to not respect or come to terms with somebody because of where they chose and desired to live.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
You don't respect us that like Rochester and you've come to terms with us????? That's quite the bizarre thing to say. I've never felt the need to not respect or come to terms with somebody because of where they chose and desired to live.
I just feel there's no need to criticize/yell at/berate/etc...

Old 12-16-2015, 08:34 AM

93,192 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
I think I know who it is again......

Old 12-16-2015, 08:55 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think I know who it is again......
I might have an idea who you are referring to too

Old 12-16-2015, 09:56 PM

I'm not hiding it, just answering a standing question.

No need for me to berate or whatever. You can ask me anything free of beratement for once!

Ironically, if I were to update, it's the same pretty much. I miss lots of cheap golf courses, Italian sausage patties, friends and family, and some regular snacks and sweets that we can't get, but that's pretty much it. Nothing to pine away about. Competition in grocery stores is still consumer-friendly and only getting fiercer. But I can't speak for a region, just where I moved.

I still don't care to move back to NY, despite my mother's desire for us to. We're pretty happy with our choices and enjoy making our own traditions in somewhere new.

I appreciate the diversity that this thread has brought as well as the interesting posts and experiences. Again, my motive, although expressed immaturely at first, has always really been about getting out and experiencing something different, moving out of your shell and seeing the world. My cousin, who moved to NYC, has always had the better and more mature attitude than me. He knows it's better suited for him, he appreciates Rochester, but just doesn't want to live there. I guess I'm growing into that same mold. But at least I can say, break out of that shell and live somewhere else for a few years at least. You may find something better suited.

Again, feel free to ask me anything. I'll check periodically, but I'm more interested in local stuff nowadays and only check back to Rochester threads/RSS feeds for tragic events and to see if someone I know made the news.

KEEP IT REAL!

Last edited by imagineskyscrapers; 12-16-2015 at 10:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area