Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 11:00 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,297,957 times

Advertisements

So we did it. In April of 2013, we did what we never thought we would have. We did it for political and recreational reasons. For reference, we moved to Charleston, SC. I am normally fast asleep, tired from activities and food, but I am rarely awake now and have the motivation to warn others of such a disappointment.

For those thinking of moving away:

Do it. There is so simple way of saying this. Just get away. Now. NOW. We have never been happier getting away. The parks are better, the restaurants are better, the government is better, everything is just plain better. It feels great getting away from not only the boring monotony that is Upstate NY, but is also feels great getting away from such BS nanny government as increased smoking taxes, overbearing gun laws, and just plain idiotic bill proposals, such as Schumer's movie theater proposal. I love my life, something so rare and impossible in NY State. I will NEVER go back, for so many more reasons. By the way, we've been to the ocean 4 days in a row.

For those thinking of moving here:

Check activities at the door. This place is a dead-zone. If you're coming from NYC to Rochester, just kill yourself. You have no idea how naive these people are and think this place is "happening". They are so f*cking naive, it's ridiculous. If you're coming from another place that has a nightlife after 11, Rochester just doesn't. No matter what someone tells you, it just doesn't. Bars are dive or lame and no one seems to realize it. Transplants from other areas have long ago realized this and moved on to other places or have admitted to plotting to kill themselves.

Do you just not get it? This place is terrible. PM me for more details or for a just plain honest opinion. Stay away. There is so much more elsewhere. And you deserve better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 02:27 AM

4 posts, read 8,671 times
Rochester is on my short list. Next year I am thinking of a relocating and job transfer. I always thought Rochester was a up and coming city with beautiful suburbs. I have read the proximity to points of interest adds too the area. Not to mention the col, houseing marlet and shopping. What aboit the lakes and the beach?

Old 06-19-2013, 05:46 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,549,774 times
Ironically enough, according to a map on a link that Rory posted himself on this very forum some time ago; more people have moved FROM Charleston County, SC TO Monroe County, NY between 2005-2010 than the other way around.

Seriously!

American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

Old 06-19-2013, 05:57 AM

92,331 posts, read 122,606,041 times
Why does it seem like the same person is talking on here? It's all in the font.

Rochester has nightlife that goes past 11 PM and there has been some interest and revitalization in some city neighborhoods. It has quite a few nice suburbs as well. There are beaches close by, along with lakes and skiing in the winter. It is also within a reasonable drive to some of the greatest cities in the US and Canada.

I'm going to dog out SC, but the Rochester metro would be the biggest metro in SC and by quite a margin.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:03 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,156,115 times
Rochester is also short on alligators, which I, personally, consider a plus. Coastal SC can't say the same.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:31 AM

32 posts, read 135,556 times
Default Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
So we did it. In April of 2013, we did what we never thought we would have. We did it for political and recreational reasons. For reference, we moved to Charleston, SC. I am normally fast asleep, tired from activities and food, but I am rarely awake now and have the motivation to warn others of such a disappointment.

For those thinking of moving away:

Do it. There is so simple way of saying this. Just get away. Now. NOW. We have never been happier getting away. The parks are better, the restaurants are better, the government is better, everything is just plain better. It feels great getting away from not only the boring monotony that is Upstate NY, but is also feels great getting away from such BS nanny government as increased smoking taxes, overbearing gun laws, and just plain idiotic bill proposals, such as Schumer's movie theater proposal. I love my life, something so rare and impossible in NY State. I will NEVER go back, for so many more reasons. By the way, we've been to the ocean 4 days in a row.

For those thinking of moving here:

Check activities at the door. This place is a dead-zone. If you're coming from NYC to Rochester, just kill yourself. You have no idea how naive these people are and think this place is "happening". They are so f*cking naive, it's ridiculous. If you're coming from another place that has a nightlife after 11, Rochester just doesn't. No matter what someone tells you, it just doesn't. Bars are dive or lame and no one seems to realize it. Transplants from other areas have long ago realized this and moved on to other places or have admitted to plotting to kill themselves.

Do you just not get it? This place is terrible. PM me for more details or for a just plain honest opinion. Stay away. There is so much more elsewhere. And you deserve better.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is weird. Your descriptions of this area, and your constant hammering about it make no sense.

What's your point? What are you trying to accomplish? With all of the tremendous outdoor activities you are enjoying down there in your new Shangri-La, how do you find the time in your new busy schedule to post like you just did, and to even open up a new topic in the forum so you can continue to whine about how badly you were abused in this terrible place?

I think the problem had more to do with whatever field you work in, and the people you associated with up here.

I travel all over the world in my line of work. My appreciation for this area broadened as a result. My line of work has me involved with many of the high-tech start ups and existing businesses in this region. I'm continually amazed by what I find in my travels in the Upstate NY Metros. In ROC/SYR/FingerLakes in particular, I find that the entrepreneurial spirit that historically has founded so many major firms here, is alive and well. The people I interact with, many of whom are transplants to the area, love living here just like I do.

People who have what it takes to enjoy our high quality of life by relocating here will look right through your desperate attempts to somehow save them from making a "terrible decision."

Damn... I love it here!

My advice to the others on the forum; disengage with this guy. Leave this topic open to whomever wants to join his discussion and wallow in their angst, but please don't "defend the area" - it speaks for itself!

Old 06-19-2013, 11:52 AM

9 posts, read 26,392 times
North Coast
Let me think. Your post sounds so much like another poster . So little posts with such an opinion. Lol please show your real screen name. We already know it. Why did you have to post too tell others to stop posting?
Your so well traveled and so in love with Rochester, why waste your time on this thread?

Old 06-19-2013, 12:43 PM

32 posts, read 135,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 490E View Post
North Coast
Let me think. Your post sounds so much like another poster . So little posts with such an opinion. Lol please show your real screen name. We already know it. Why did you have to post too tell others to stop posting?
Your so well traveled and so in love with Rochester, why waste your time on this thread?
I'll "let you think" - you have my permission. Please DO THINK. Get in the habit. It will do you good!

Also... this might help....

Remedial reading and writing courses are available at several local institutions.

Step One.. if you need to get a GED first:
GED Program

Step Two: Once you complete your GED studies, you can be accepted into a college. A state school like MCC is probably your best bet, as the admission standards are low. See ENG 101: English and Philosophy : Monroe Community College

Good luck.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:23 PM

Hahaha come on I was just reading your old posts. Hahahaha can't you come up with new stuff. Kinda gets real old. For someone well traveled , educated and so well versed. You do not have any people skills. Kinda of makes me believe your previous posts well over 28 are just completely false. But have fun my grammar teacher hahahahaha.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:27 PM

I left many things in there for your correction. Something for you to do while awaiting your flighs. Do not want you to have a boring time on your layovers .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area