U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 01:03 PM

56,265 posts, read 80,446,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Yes...vary...

People sometimes will prefer to sit in and watch American Idol. People will sometimes will choose to build Lincoln log castles. People will choose to worship a certain type of flower all year. People will sometimes be in love with mousepads. People will love to live in bumf***, NJ. It doesn't make them interesting.

Everybody Loves Charleston: Voted USA's No. 1 City For Third Consecutive Year : Condé Nast Traveler

Then again, people will sometimes love a city ranked best in the US over and over and over again.
No one is necessarily hating on Charleston. My grandmother used to be a cook there before any of us were thought of and it is most likely the port of entry for some of my ancestors. With that said, this doesn't mean that people can't like Rochester or that there aren't pros and cons to both areas. Like/love where you live, but put down the Hateraide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 01:23 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,662,862 times
Different strokes....some people prefer vacationing in cold inland cities like Rochester and Manchester (and they're all on City Data to prove their point) and some people prefer warm beaches. I don't get the comparison, but its all good. I'm not criticizing anyone, I just think its a extremely disillusioned point of view.

All the best and most scenic cities are on the coast. They thrive. It is what it is....NYC, Boston, LA, San Francisco, Vancouver, Seattle, Miami. I think LA is LA more for its amazing location, and there's a reason Bakersfield and Fresno, despite the huge amount of agricultural commerce that's there, will never be LA or San Fran.

The same could be said for NYC and its NJ coastal suburbs vs Buffalo and its location. But hey, there's a guy on the Buffalo forum who says that Buffalo will surpass NYC in population in 20 years. So, whats the point of arguing with that? Am I really going to have a realistic debate with people that disillusioned?

Old 01-26-2014, 02:30 PM

3,518 posts, read 4,388,117 times
Yeah Rochester is not Dallas, Denver, Minneapolis...

It is a dying upstate NY town filled with people that think everywhere else is better....

LOL...little do they know...

Old 01-26-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
What's your problem, man? I wasn't even referring to you. Check out BuffaloTransplants posts. I'm not lying about anything and I think you need to take it down a notch.
What did BuffaloTransplant have to do with this thread?

Also, no one said that Rochester was like any of those cities and that post was in regard to something else.

Lastly, I'm fine and have no need to get hostile about this silly stuff. This is too funny.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What did BuffaloTransplant have to do with this thread?

Also, no one said that Rochester was like any of those cities and that post was in regard to something else.

Lastly, I'm fine and have no need to get hostile about this silly stuff. This is too funny.
You called me a liar. I didn't start anything hostile. If you call someone a liar, expect them to respond.

I made a mistake- it wasn't BuffaloTransplant, it was a post by BuffalonianPride.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/31024383-post1.html

It was a funny post worth mentioning, as it really drives home the point about the disillusionment of Upstate NYers when ANYONE God-Forbid compares NY to someplace they like better.

There are several people here that were saying that they don't like the beach or they prefer to vacation in Rochester. I saw it, Rory saw it, I guess you missed it. I wasn't lying about that, and you're right, it was actually funny. Lets not get the whole family together and go to Fort Lauderdale, lets go to Rochester!

Old 01-26-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
You called me a liar. I didn't start anything hostile. If you call someone a liar, expect them to respond.

I made a mistake- it wasn't BuffaloTransplant, it was a post by BuffalonianPride.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/31024383-post1.html

It was a funny post worth mentioning, as it really drives home the point about the disillusionment of Upstate NYers when ANYONE God-Forbid compares NY to someplace they like better.

There are several people here that were saying that they don't like the beach or they prefer to vacation in Rochester. I saw it, Rory saw it, I guess you missed it. I wasn't lying about that, and you're right, it was actually funny. Lets not get the whole family together and go to Fort Lauderdale, lets go to Rochester!
I saw that they liked the Fall season in the area versus the beach. I didn't see anywhere in a post said they liked to vacation in the area. I could be wrong though.

Also, the lying aspect was about someone saying that they rather go on vacation to those cities. I still don't know what that post had to do with this thread and it has been known that the particular poster would exaggerate things in many posts. You can separate the real from the fake stuff, man.

Lastly, I don't think anyone cares as much as you are making it out to be. People can like other landscapes more than beaches and you don't have to put down another area, regardless of whatever you like. It is not that serious.

Aren't you working on getting to CA, by the way?

Old 01-26-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I saw that they liked the Fall season in the area versus the beach. I didn't see anywhere in a post said they liked to vacation in the area. I could be wrong though.

Also, the lying aspect was about someone saying that they rather go on vacation to those cities. I still don't know what that post had to do with this thread and it has been known that the particular poster would exaggerate things in many posts. You can separate the real from the fake stuff, man.

Lastly, I don't think anyone cares as much as you are making it out to be. People can like other landscapes more than beaches and you don't have to put down another area, regardless of whatever you like. It is not that serious.

Aren't you working on getting to CA, by the way?
I'm not putting anything down. You might be perceiving it that way, but I was just making a point about people loving living near the coast, and how its a different feeling than inland cities. Feel free to reread my posts and you'll see that's all I posted.

I'm not planning on moving to CA right now. I'd like to retire there perhaps, along the coast if I can afford it, or in someplace like Sacramento if I can't. I love the beach and I love sunshine. CA has both. In the next 2 years, I plan to move back South (likely VA or NC) with an adjusted career path that hopefully will be more successful down there. 40 and sunny is much better when you work outside than 15 and cloudy.

I enjoy living in the area of NJ that I'm in, which is the western border with PA. Also, I'm learning a new side of my career field, so I'm not in a rush to leave this.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I'm not putting anything down. You might be perceiving it that way, but I was just making a point about people loving living near the coast, and how its a different feeling than inland cities. Feel free to reread my posts and you'll see that's all I posted.

I'm not planning on moving to CA right now. I'd like to retire there perhaps, along the coast if I can afford it, or in someplace like Sacramento if I can't. I love the beach and I love sunshine. CA has both. In the next 2 years, I plan to move back South (likely VA or NC) with an adjusted career path that hopefully will be more successful down there. 40 and sunny is much better when you work outside than 15 and cloudy.

I enjoy living in the area of NJ that I'm in, which is the western border with PA. Also, I'm learning a new side of my career field, so I'm not in a rush to leave this.
Ok, sure.....Anyway, that's great and hopefully if it gets too hot, the heat won't be too much. It will depend on what parts of those states you move to though.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:00 PM

Too hot, possible, but I'm not too concerned about it. I experienced a good portion of spring and summer in NC and it was not much different than summer on the southern NJ coast. Equally humid and hot, and I loved it. Bring it on!

I also usually spend a week in August in CA, including inland in the Sacramento area. Me lady is from there. Last year it was 109 for 4 days straight. It was fine, I actually went in the hot tub. I think the belief that people don't want too much heat is not panning out. People still seem to flock to Sunbelt states, regardless.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:06 PM

18 posts, read 20,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Yes...vary...

People sometimes will prefer to sit in and watch American Idol. People will sometimes will choose to build Lincoln log castles. People will choose to worship a certain type of flower all year. People will sometimes be in love with mousepads. People will love to live in bumf***, NJ. It doesn't make them interesting.

Everybody Loves Charleston: Voted USA's No. 1 City For Third Consecutive Year : Condé Nast Traveler

Then again, people will sometimes love a city ranked best in the US over and over and over again.
You want us to believe in the the survey voting Charleston # 1. But you discount and discredit thr survey voting Wegmans #1 , calling us misguided misinformed and Sunshine deficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area