Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 09:58 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleggera View Post
I think you have misunderstood what rorytmeadow said. He is trying to provide his true and honest experience about Rochester. While some don't agree with him but I am extremely happy that he has found a better place than Rochester. We also have a house by the beach so I can relate to what he meant by living close to the ocean. Rochester is not doing well but better than a lot of places in Upstate NY (Syracuse, Utica,... etc). Wegmans is definitely overstated as I live in the town where their flagship store is and there are full of people there think grocery shopping is a status quote. You are right about the job market being much stronger in Richmond than Rochester and that is another reason why rorytmeadow wants to warn people about the potential risk in moving to Rochester. I personally know a lot of very well established professors from UofR and they all suggested their students to move to somewhere with better career opportunities. I also agree with you that most moved away from Rochester have never looked back from the people I know. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
No doubt that he/she is. However, Rochester is a place like any other. There are pros and cons to living there. I'm not sure why people considering moving to Rochester would need a running thread warning them of the cons...or why another poster would need someone else to explain his/her disposition for that matter.
Why wouldn't you need a thread talking about the cons? This seems like a given. Why wouldn't everyone want to be fully informed about an area prior to visiting/moving? That seems insane. I moved to Charleston in April 2013 and would have LOVED a thread talking about the negatives. There are a tiny bit, but I would definitely want a well-rounded experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleggera View Post
Because if you have been around here long enough, you will notice some will exaggerate how great life is in Rochester. I like how you share your honest opinion but certain individuals will go out his way to lie about things.
So true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 10:22 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,081,937 times
[quote=

Lots of places have a wide variety of items. The thing people don't realize is the following:

"WEGMANS has a TON of different cheeses! Look at this variety!!!!"

"Yeah but will you be trying all of them?"

"Of course not!"

It has a wide variety of stuff people don't want. But they dress it up nice and you buy into it.

It's a grocery store people. If the highlight of your week is going grocery shopping, you have issues.[/quote]

Economics 101- if you're in the retail business, you don't carry products that don't sell. Wegmans is a brilliant merchandiser and there are tons of people who like gourmet cooking. I can't figure out why they have 20 different kinds of olives either. There are lots of people who have $100,000 kitchens and love to cook.

Last edited by JWRocks; 02-02-2014 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: bad quote

Old 02-02-2014, 10:26 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post

Lots of places have a wide variety of items. The thing people don't realize is the following:

"Of course not!"

It has a wide variety of stuff people don't want. But they dress it up nice and you buy into it.

It's a grocery store people. If the highlight of your week is going grocery shopping, you have issues.
Economics 101- if you're in the retail business, you don't carry products that don't sell. Wegmans is a brilliant merchandiser and there are tons of people who like gourmet cooking. I can't figure out why they have 20 different kinds of olives either. There are lots of people who have $100,000 kitchens and love to cook.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:24 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
Let's have a review session for what the OP since June 19, 2013 (yes the original post was posted on June 19, 2013).

1) Rochester sucks.
2) Rochester sucks.
3) Rochester sucks.

Everyone gets the point.

Now why don't you go away and start posting on the South Carolina board.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:19 PM

97 posts, read 200,838 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't you need a thread talking about the cons? This seems like a given. Why wouldn't everyone want to be fully informed about an area prior to visiting/moving? That seems insane. I moved to Charleston in April 2013 and would have LOVED a thread talking about the negatives. There are a tiny bit, but I would definitely want a well-rounded experience.
If you had actual intelligent, constructive criticism of Rochester, that would be great. Instead you say stuff like "watching people move to Rochester is like watching people sent to the showers in Poland in WWII."

Old 02-02-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Let's have a review session for what the OP since June 19, 2013 (yes the original post was posted on June 19, 2013).

1) Rochester sucks.
2) Rochester sucks.
3) Rochester sucks.

Everyone gets the point.

You don't have to read the thread at all. You're welcome to any of the other threads in the forum. Like I said in another thread, I am just giving my experiences moving out in hopes of changing at least one person's mind to move elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilmara View Post
If you had actual intelligent, constructive criticism of Rochester, that would be great. Instead you say stuff like "watching people move to Rochester is like watching people sent to the showers in Poland in WWII."
lol

It's hard to have intelligent conversation when it feels to me that people have blinders on so opaque they are running into doors. I have had those posts before, but it's frustrating to get responses from people who judge the entire South based on living in Aiken, SC.

These were always mentioned previously:

My opinions on Rochester:
1. The weather is nice in the summer, but that's pretty much it. Spring is full of mud and autumn is full of leaves coating mud. In winter it's either covered in snow or covered in a gray salty haze. Most of the time everything is disgusting to look at, in my opinion.
2. I am personally a beach person. Rock beaches are treacherous on my feet, so for sandy beaches, Charlotte/Durand-Eastman are often closed, Hamlin and Sodus, were a trek, but the water quality was always dirty and disgusting. Not to mention, avoiding the gangs picnicking at Charlotte Beach. The water was still cold in the summertime.
3. I was often bored with the festivals. Greek festival was ho-hum. Park Ave festival was ho-hum. East End festival made me want to punch everyone around me. Lilac festival was meh (oooh, a D-level musician has graciously accepted the invitation to perform this year!).
4. High-end dining scene was non-existent. There were a light handful of good restaurants in the area. I'd get recommendations from friends for restaurants, we would go and most often be disappointed. I don't mind a Bill Grays or Sticky Lips, but this is not what I'm talking about.
5. Declining economy. I don't really like to live in a city which knows it's declining economically and doesn't do anything about it. Graduated students are flocking from Rochester in droves. I'm sure there is a variety of reasons, but I don't agree with how the city has been run. Fast Ferry was a great example. I thought it was a dumb idea. High falls is another. I LOVE the fact that Rochester has a downtown waterfall and after Jimmy Mac's left, there's no reason to go down there. I'm sure the new brewery stuff is nice, but it's still Genesee beer. I, in no way shape or form, miss Honey Brown Lager.
6. Lack of growth. I started to see it a bit with some new chains entering the area, but nothing like the cities I was visiting for the 5 years leading up to the move. Why would Wegmans want to build a downtown supermarket? The city is dying and they shafted Wegmans out of Mt. Hope.
7. "Douche chills". I would get these often. It's more like a third-party embarrassment for others. When I read stories about 6 stories a day on WHAM13 about Spiderman filming or a press release from Phillip Seymour Hoffman's high school (these are just modern examples). It's a true feeling. I just get embarrassed for others. I know there are some with pride about Rochester, but it's just a movie people; RELAX. Who cares about Hoffman's high school? No wonder downstate NY folks would laugh in my face when I'd tell them where I was from...

Now I don't need statistics to back any of MY OPINIONS up. I knew a long time ago I was moving out of there, I just didn't know where to. I did however, study a lot of statistics for potential move sights. It was obvious to me, that I would be happier away from Rochester, but I didn't have the same confidence in any of the potential move cities without doing my research.

Notice the title of this thread: "A transplant's perspective...moving away from Rochester". It's not "F OFF ROCHESTER!!!!". It's not "ROCHESTER IS A GARBAGE DUMP". I WANT people to move away from Rochester, because personally, I feel it will make a lot of other people more satisfied with their life. Not everyone, some may enjoy Rochester. But not everyone thinks like you either.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:54 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times

1) Rochester sucks.
2) Rochester sucks.
3) Rochester sucks.
4) Rochester sucks.
5) Rochester sucks.
6) Rochester sucks.

Everyone gets the point.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post

1) Rochester sucks.
2) Rochester sucks.
3) Rochester sucks.
4) Rochester sucks.
5) Rochester sucks.
6) Rochester sucks.

Everyone gets the point.

I post there as well. Feel free to browse the other threads here.

Thanks, though, appreciate the guidance.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:15 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Harris Teeter, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Publix, Piggly Wiggly (a few still left), IGA, Food Lion, and local grocery stores. It's a hot market around here but competition means better for the customer.

"Of course not!"

It's a grocery store people. If the highlight of your week is going grocery shopping, you have issues.
Yeah, BUT, Danny the welfare queen got his subsidized "cheese aging facility" built in Gates.

Take that, Charleston!|/sarc]

Old 02-03-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Yeah, BUT, Danny the welfare queen got his subsidized "cheese aging facility" built in Gates.

Take that, Charleston!|/sarc]
LoL! I'd rep you many times if I could...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area