Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 03:34 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,478,358 times

Advertisements

I just have to completely disagree with the op... I have lived in every state in the mid-Atlantic region, am from Rochester though. For YEARS we have tried to come home, bit there are just no jobs in my husbands field, in all the years we have been gone, he has interviewed once, they offered him the job but for $25k less... I know some will say $$ isn't everything, but I don't know many that would willingly take that pay cut just to be closer to family.

Rochester has a low COL, low housing prices ( yes,yes, we know all about your property taxes, but I pay more where I live), wonderful parks, museums ( you have the #1 children's museum in the nation!), some of the BEST Italian restaurants & bakeries, the best burger joints, fairly decent school districts,4 seasons, beautiful lakeshore sunsets... I could go on &on.

There are many things I also love about where I live now, like being only 2 hours from the Ocean, I will take that over the lake BUT, when all is said and done, there are more pros to living in Rochester than con.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 08:36 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,538,809 times
The fact that this guy has to make ANOTHER faux account in order to back up the ridiculous blabber speaks for itself folks. I agree with North Coast. No need to defend Rochester; nobody is going to take this garbage post seriously anyways.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:35 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,292,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
Ironically enough, according to a map on a link that Rory posted himself on this very forum some time ago; more people have moved FROM Charleston County, SC TO Monroe County, NY between 2005-2010 than the other way around.

Seriously!

American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes
You're right. Absolutely. And I applaud you for probably being one of the most researching of the responders. It's an interesting statistic. But also erased by the fact that the Charleston metro area is the #2 fastest growing metro in the country. Not sure why Vegas is faster, but hey, silver is just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Why does it seem like the same person is talking on here? It's all in the font.

Rochester has nightlife that goes past 11 PM and there has been some interest and revitalization in some city neighborhoods. It has quite a few nice suburbs as well. There are beaches close by, along with lakes and skiing in the winter. It is also within a reasonable drive to some of the greatest cities in the US and Canada.

I'm going to dog out SC, but the Rochester metro would be the biggest metro in SC and by quite a margin.
Yes, Rochester is bigger than any metro in SC. Yet still, Rochester sucks. You also use the term "beaches" like it means the same thing. Have fun swimming in your bacteria cesspool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Rochester is also short on alligators, which I, personally, consider a plus. Coastal SC can't say the same.
Oh no! Alligators! Why is this a negative? Did your dumbass kid get bitten? They are a part of nature. They affect our lives 0%...not sure where they are affecting you so much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Coast View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is weird. Your descriptions of this area, and your constant hammering about it make no sense.

What's your point? What are you trying to accomplish? With all of the tremendous outdoor activities you are enjoying down there in your new Shangri-La, how do you find the time in your new busy schedule to post like you just did, and to even open up a new topic in the forum so you can continue to whine about how badly you were abused in this terrible place?

I think the problem had more to do with whatever field you work in, and the people you associated with up here.

I travel all over the world in my line of work. My appreciation for this area broadened as a result. My line of work has me involved with many of the high-tech start ups and existing businesses in this region. I'm continually amazed by what I find in my travels in the Upstate NY Metros. In ROC/SYR/FingerLakes in particular, I find that the entrepreneurial spirit that historically has founded so many major firms here, is alive and well. The people I interact with, many of whom are transplants to the area, love living here just like I do.

People who have what it takes to enjoy our high quality of life by relocating here will look right through your desperate attempts to somehow save them from making a "terrible decision."

Damn... I love it here!

My advice to the others on the forum; disengage with this guy. Leave this topic open to whomever wants to join his discussion and wallow in their angst, but please don't "defend the area" - it speaks for itself!
Thank you for your thoughts. I'm only trying to accomplish the battering of naivete that runs rampant in Upstate NY in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 490E View Post
North Coast
Let me think. Your post sounds so much like another poster . So little posts with such an opinion. Lol please show your real screen name. We already know it. Why did you have to post too tell others to stop posting?
Your so well traveled and so in love with Rochester, why waste your time on this thread?
Still on this "it's the same guy" stuff? Really? PM me for my phone number. Anyone, really. I welcome civilized discussion. Apparently, I can't ever check in with this forum no matter what fun I'm having otherwise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
I just have to completely disagree with the op... I have lived in every state in the mid-Atlantic region, am from Rochester though. For YEARS we have tried to come home, bit there are just no jobs in my husbands field, in all the years we have been gone, he has interviewed once, they offered him the job but for $25k less... I know some will say $$ isn't everything, but I don't know many that would willingly take that pay cut just to be closer to family.

Rochester has a low COL, low housing prices ( yes,yes, we know all about your property taxes, but I pay more where I live), wonderful parks, museums ( you have the #1 children's museum in the nation!), some of the BEST Italian restaurants & bakeries, the best burger joints, fairly decent school districts,4 seasons, beautiful lakeshore sunsets... I could go on &on.

There are many things I also love about where I live now, like being only 2 hours from the Ocean, I will take that over the lake BUT, when all is said and done, there are more pros to living in Rochester than con.
"no jobs" is not a reason to dislike a region. Sometimes, that means that a region is so high in demand that your skills in particular, mean nothing. Don't hate on the area because the skill-set has been filled. Also, link the website that says #1 children's museum. Best burger joints is relative, especially, when you have been nowhere. Also, the parks are ****. Parks down here BLOW AWAY those in Rochester for a litany of reasons. Yeah, and if you think Rochester has the best Italian restaurants, you are, honestly, Italian-retarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
The fact that this guy has to make ANOTHER faux account in order to back up the ridiculous blabber speaks for itself folks. I agree with North Coast. No need to defend Rochester; nobody is going to take this garbage post seriously anyways.
Here we go with the fake account stuff. I am one man, with one desktop. I oftentimes just view the forum via Tapatalk on my phone or tablet. If you want to see what's really me, PM me and I will give you my 585 number to call. You can ask any question you want. But of course, you won't because your accusations are schtick. Get a new bit. Really. It's getting old.

Last edited by rorytmeadows; 06-19-2013 at 11:54 PM..

Old 06-20-2013, 06:09 AM

9 posts, read 26,384 times
Read all the posts . Mine was not directed to you.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:37 AM

92,063 posts, read 122,262,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
You're right. Absolutely. And I applaud you for probably being one of the most researching of the responders. It's an interesting statistic. But also erased by the fact that the Charleston metro area is the #2 fastest growing metro in the country. Not sure why Vegas is faster, but hey, silver is just fine.

Yes, Rochester is bigger than any metro in SC. Yet still, Rochester sucks. You also use the term "beaches" like it means the same thing. Have fun swimming in your bacteria cesspool.

Oh no! Alligators! Why is this a negative? Did your dumbass kid get bitten? They are a part of nature. They affect our lives 0%...not sure where they are affecting you so much...

Thank you for your thoughts. I'm only trying to accomplish the battering of naivete that runs rampant in Upstate NY in general.

Still on this "it's the same guy" stuff? Really? PM me for my phone number. Anyone, really. I welcome civilized discussion. Apparently, I can't ever check in with this forum no matter what fun I'm having otherwise...

"no jobs" is not a reason to dislike a region. Sometimes, that means that a region is so high in demand that your skills in particular, mean nothing. Don't hate on the area because the skill-set has been filled. Also, link the website that says #1 children's museum. Best burger joints is relative, especially, when you have been nowhere. Also, the parks are ****. Parks down here BLOW AWAY those in Rochester for a litany of reasons. Yeah, and if you think Rochester has the best Italian restaurants, you are, honestly, Italian-retarded.

Here we go with the fake account stuff. I am one man, with one desktop. I oftentimes just view the forum via Tapatalk on my phone or tablet. If you want to see what's really me, PM me and I will give you my 585 number to call. You can ask any question you want. But of course, you won't because your accusations are schtick. Get a new bit. Really. It's getting old.
You do realize that there are other beaches and plenty of parks in the area, right? There has been issues with some beaches down there: South Carolina beach water quality in bottom half; Charleston does better | TheDigitel Charleston So, there is no need to make it seem like beaches are always clean everywhere.

I also don't the naïveté comment either.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post

Have you thought of or looked into nearby areas? I may have asked this before, but I ask due to some other areas nearby have higher average annual incomes according to the last figures posted(2011). Northern California enjoys nation's highest salaries - The Business Journals

Old 06-20-2013, 03:43 PM

289 posts, read 398,220 times
Please explain what is the difference
rorytmeadows
- Telling everyone how happy he is with his relocation.
- Helping others who stll may be on the fence regarding a relo.
- Showing others there are things worth taking a chance with.
- Informing others regarding false stereotypes.
- Throwing it back in the face of haters.

Natives of Rochester
- Someone who moved south and then returned. To reply in every post by bashing and talk crap and false stereotypes.
- Wishing him well while bashing him behind his back.
- Telling him everything wrong about where is moving.
- telling him the south is everything it is not.
- Just waiting for his return to say we told you so. Just because they want to move but are afraid to make the move.

This is just a question. Not a personal attack on anyone.
I hope I will get honest answers no personal attacts instead.

Nat

Old 06-20-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlook View Post
Please explain what is the difference
rorytmeadows
- Telling everyone how happy he is with his relocation.
- Helping others who stll may be on the fence regarding a relo.
- Showing others there are things worth taking a chance with.
- Informing others regarding false stereotypes.
- Throwing it back in the face of haters.

Natives of Rochester
- Someone who moved south and then returned. To reply in every post by bashing and talk crap and false stereotypes.
- Wishing him well while bashing him behind his back.
- Telling him everything wrong about where is moving.
- telling him the south is everything it is not.
- Just waiting for his return to say we told you so. Just because they want to move but are afraid to make the move.

This is just a question. Not a personal attack on anyone.
I hope I will get honest answers no personal attacts instead.

Nat
You forgot to add that there is such a distain towards posters that like the Rochester area and that there is something wrong with them for doing so. There's also the fact of pros and cons of each city/area.

What stereotypes are you talking about, btw?

Old 06-20-2013, 05:59 PM

289 posts, read 398,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You forgot to add that there is such a distain towards posters that like the Rochester area and that there is something wrong with them for doing so. There's also the fact of pros and cons of each city/area.

What stereotypes are you talking about, btw?
There is nothing wrong with one loving the city of Rochester or the suburban areas. Norh and South East and West all have pros and cons.

I have read and heard things about the south. Examples people are dumb, back stabbers and the education system is a total failure. Can this not also be said about places in NYS? Look at Rochester is it not possible to be in that school district and receive a good education? Is it not possible to travel 20 min away and receive a great education ? I don't judge anybody by their level of education. On this fourm there are plenty of nasty and hurtful postings about ones education. Any day any time I would rather deal with an uneducated person then a educated ignorant person. How about the bullies telling others not too post . Dont like it don't post and reply. We all can learn from others.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlook View Post
There is nothing wrong with one loving the city of Rochester or the suburban areas. Norh and South East and West all have pros and cons.

I have read and heard things about the south. Examples people are dumb, back stabbers and the education system is a total failure. Can this not also be said about places in NYS? Look at Rochester is it not possible to be in that school district and receive a good education? Is it not possible to travel 20 min away and receive a great education ? I don't judge anybody by their level of education. On this fourm there are plenty of nasty and hurtful postings about ones education. Any day any time I would rather deal with an uneducated person then a educated ignorant person. How about the bullies telling others not too post . Dont like it don't post and reply. We all can learn from others.
I don't know if anyone said that there aren't issues with some things in the area or in NY. I think the statements towards education can be based on opinions, but there is information out there to help state a point. It could be based on how students are challenged, test scores, graduation rates, etc. Attainment is another factor and while the percentage of people with a HS diploma in NY is only about 1-1.5% higher than SC, but there is about an 8% difference between the two states in Bachelor's degrees and a 6% difference in graduate degrees, with NY being higher. I believe that the Rochester area is above the state percentage as well. List of U.S. states by educational attainment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...reas.html?_r=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area