U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 03:50 PM

7,841 posts, read 7,293,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleggera View Post
He got promoted so he took a gutsy step with his kids to a better place. I give him a lot of credit for taking charge his life.
Promoted to what? Pizza baker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 04:07 PM

4 posts, read 3,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
That's what you are in So Carolina, right?
Is there something wrong with So Carolina? Half my family resides there.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:18 PM

270 posts, read 389,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my dog and I View Post
You will also missed the ocean/beach if you move to Rochester.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:29 PM

56,252 posts, read 80,427,244 times
Quote:
What part of SC?

Old 06-27-2013, 05:46 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,873,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Just consider that this video: Online pretty much sums up Roryt's life.

This cretin is one of Roryt's mutliple Internet personas. He/she/it usually shows up to post supporting Roryt shortly after ol' Roryt posts.
I have the troll on ignore so I can't see what he's saying...but I can only imagine it is coming up shortly after all of these "I'm moving to Rochester from so and so" posts that he can then conveniently come in and make an argument against. You'd think he'd get a little more original instead of always making the newcomer from LA. Then again that would require normal reasoning skills.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:19 PM

121 posts, read 200,958 times
Quote:
Hi to all I currently live in LA. I was just informed my position has been eliminated. My evaluations are always outstanding. Because of tbis I was offered a transfer to Rochester NY. I enjoy living here but I must go where I can find employment. Questions I know very little about Rochester and have a short time frame to make major decisions.
How is the night life
Climate
Eateries
Residents ( red neck hunters , factory workers or upper middle class )
Commute time / traffic conditions ( horrible in LA)
Summer weather
Best things to do.
Dog paks / dog walkers / dog parties
Friendliness
Snobish
Living out of one means
Col
What time dose the establishments close.
Will snow be an issue
Rainey
I am In great shape .I would like to be around the same. I love my dog and we go on long night walks. I am single just can't find Mr. Right.
Are people able to hold an conversion.
Shelters where can I vol
How do people dress ( big box stores or the correct way )
Thank you in advance.
I have been doing a lot of research - moving to Rochester 8/1 for school; lease already signed. Here is what I can answer based on 1.5 weeks spent there (winter and late spring visits).

Let me start out by saying I don't think it is as bad as some of the bitter long time residents/ex-residents make it seem.

How is the night life
Definitely not like Hollywood or downtown LA areas but there seemed to be quite a few bars/coffee shops/eateries open at night and a couple theaters downtown. Small town feel but a nice change.

Climate
Cold. A different kind of cold than I have ever experienced during winter. It was cold. I need to buy new clothes. What I wore for cold weather in LA will not be enough for Rochester. In late Spring it was warm and humid with some nice breezes while being cool/windy near the lake. There were a couple rapidly appearing lightning storms. I imagine Spring and Fall being very pleasant.

Seems like a diverse mix. A fair amount of low income/poor looking people and places towards the north-west of city and a diverse mix towards the east. People have been much friendlier than in LA.

Non-existant traffic other than a small stretch of construction on Mt. Hope near my school. Streets feel deserted compared to Ventura Blvd/Hollywood Blvd/Sunset Blvd/405/etc.

Best things to do.
People posted some great ideas in a thread I started. Nature, lakes, bars, coffee shops, shows, festivals, parks, and more.

Friendliness
People were always friendlier than the fast-paced LA crowd.

Snobish
Don't know, but I didn't experience it.

Col
Cheap!!!! I was renting in the West Valley area with a 1 BR 750 sq ft unit in a complex for 1250 + utilities. Here I found a 2 BR 900 sq ft unit in the desirable area in a historic unit (top floor) for 900 util included.

Will snow be an issue
Rochester gets 100 inches a year average. That's a ton! It snowed the whole time I was here in winter. I never had trouble driving though. The streets stayed really clear and people dove safely for the most part. It was cold though.

Rainey
More than LA but kind of average for the country.

Hop it helps.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:34 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,704,361 times
Quote:
How is the night life
Climate
Eateries
Summer weather
Best things to do.
Dog paks / dog walkers / dog parties
Friendliness
Snobish
Living out of one means
Col
What time dose the establishments close.
Will snow be an issue
Rainey
I am In great shape .I would like to be around the same. I love my dog and we go on long night walks. I am single just can't find Mr. Right.
Are people able to hold an conversion.
Shelters where can I vol
How do people dress ( big box stores or the correct way )
Nightlife - won't be anything like LA, but nothing else is really.
Climate - 4 distinct seasons. Yes, it snows here in winter. Don't be surprised. When you see winter clothing appear in stores, but it then and not when you need it. Half the time bathing suits are on sale in January. Cause yeah I want a bikini when it's 10 degrees out and a foot os snow is on the ground. Who decides when they sell these things anyway?
Eateries - plenty of chain and mom and pop kind of places to eat.
Residents ( red neck hunters , factory workers or upper middle class ) - all kinds of people live in the area.
Commute time / traffic conditions ( horrible in LA) - you won't think there's any traffic here. To residents, 490 can be a parking lot during rush hour, but coming from LA you'll be going at least as fast a bicyclist.
Summer weather - yes summer DOES come here! Great time to spend some time on one of the many lakes here.
Best things to do. - depends on what you like to do. Pretty much everything exists here except Disney.
Dog paks / dog walkers / dog parties - there are parks where you can walk your dog. Not a lot of dog parks. There are dog walkers. No idea what a dog party is and I have dogs.
Friendliness - People here are friendly. Once someone mentions you're from LA, you'll probably get a million questions.
Snobish - there are snobs everywhere.
Living out of one means - not sure what you mean by this.
Col - FAR less than LA.
What time dose the establishments close. - you mean bars? Depends on the bar and day of week. You won't find them open at 6 am.
Will snow be an issue - depends. If you absolutely hate snow, then yes. If you can deal or enjoy it, then no. Roads are plowed. When it's really nasty out, people just stay home until it's over. It's not like a foot of snow falls every day. Get GOOD, warm, waterproof boots, a good snow/ice scraper for your car, good tires and you'll be fine.
Rainey - yes, we get rain. I wouldn't say it's rainy. It's not Washington.
I am In great shape .I would like to be around the same. I love my dog and we go on long night walks. I am single just can't find Mr. Right. - join a gym.
Are people able to hold an conversion. - considering this is one of the highest educated parts of the country this isn't an issue.
Shelters where can I vol - plenty of animals shelters. same with shelters for women and children and homeless.
How do people dress ( big box stores or the correct way ) - people here wear clothes they buy in stores or online. Some wear their pants on the ground as the guy from American Idol says, but most people don't go around showing their undies off to the world.

If you have a chance to visit before relocating, I'd suggest checking out the area and looking at apartments. Good luck with your new job!

Old 06-27-2013, 10:42 PM

3,518 posts, read 4,387,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superleggera View Post
You will also missed the ocean/beach if you move to Rochester.
Civilization is what you'll miss most of all.

Honestly, like I've told others, even those that disagree, I'll be glad to PM you and discuss. I'd even be open to a phone call, just like I've said to those that cling to Rochester because they don't know any better, feel free to call me and discuss. Peace.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:56 AM

270 posts, read 389,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Civilization is what you'll miss most of all.

Honestly, like I've told others, even those that disagree, I'll be glad to PM you and discuss. I'd even be open to a phone call, just like I've said to those that cling to Rochester because they don't know any better, feel free to call me and discuss. Peace.
That's a great gesture to offer your phone numbers! People in Upstate NY are in denial because they don't want to face the reality.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:02 AM

7,841 posts, read 7,293,414 times
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with SC (aside from being hot as Hades in the summer). It's just where Roryt pretends that he moved to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area