Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2013, 09:36 PM

4 posts, read 6,395 times

Advertisements

We may be purchasing a home in the Browncroft area. We don't have children yet, but plan
on in the near future. What are the schools like? Are Rochester city schools that bad?
I went to an inner city school myself, so I am not completely sheltered in knowing what I could expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 09:40 PM
mwr

85 posts, read 139,506 times
I like the Browncroft area - it's well liked here - and I imagine the elementary schools are fine there. I think what troubles people are the middle and high schools (which I believe would be Monroe and East). You can go charter, etc., if you are involved, but it's not a sure bet. Sorry, that probably doesn't help you. Short answer: I would not send my kids to Monroe Middle or East High, no way.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:26 AM

120 posts, read 338,678 times
I’ve been gone from Rochester for a year (moved to Michigan) but am still in touch with friends in ROC. My kids (now 10 and 13) both went to Urban Choice Charter School, though the older one went to School No. 1 for 2 ½ years.

Browncroft is a great area. As for schools, we had our issues, but I know many people that have had success navigating RCSD (Rochester City School District)

Also there is a parent forum not associated with the District for parents in RCSD to keep parents up to date and share experiences. Flower City Parents Flower City Parents Forum - Index

Elementary schools. The district is divided into 3 Zones.You choose from schools within your zone. Browncroft is part of the Northeast zone for RCSD purposes. Your home school would be No. 46. In addition to your zone schools, you can also choose from several district wide schools with various programs. They are lottery schools. Get on the RCSD Website for more information
Rochester City School District / Overview
If you go into the Parents Tab and go to forms then to School Choice Information and click on the Northeast Booklet. You can get information about how the process works and the schools available to you in that zone.

Middle/High schools. You are not limited to Monroe and East. All high schools are available to all students regardless of location. And at least school #58, World of Inquiry is on it’s way to be K-12. Expeditionary learning, great reputation. Some of the schools are going K-8. There are three middle/high schools that I have friends whose kids go there and are happy They are SOTA (School of the Arts), Wilson and School Without Walls. The first two have a middle school (known as Foundation Academies in RCSD).

Charter Schools, there are several to choose from. If you google “Charter Schools in Rochester, New York) you can find information. I know you don’t have a child yet but this at least gives you a jumping off point and knowing in a large urban district like this, things change year to year and just to keep your self updated.

I also want to add that the district has an awesome pre-K program. I believe there is one at 46 now and my kids both went to the one at 52.

Last edited by alw1964; 08-06-2013 at 09:50 AM..

Old 08-06-2013, 10:04 AM

91,965 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Would private schools be an option as well?

Old 08-06-2013, 06:59 PM

Here more information on the neighborhood: Welcome to Browncroft Neighborhood Association | Browncroft Neighborhood Association

Here are various types of schools in or near the neighborhood: New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

Old 08-06-2013, 07:08 PM

270 posts, read 465,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Again, we are looking for actual living experience not some Google copy and paste information. In addition, you should give OP a chance to answer your question first. What's the rush?

Old 08-06-2013, 07:16 PM

270 posts, read 465,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alw1964 View Post
I’ve been gone from Rochester for a year (moved to Michigan) but am still in touch with friends in ROC. My kids (now 10 and 13) both went to Urban Choice Charter School, though the older one went to School No. 1 for 2 ½ years.

Browncroft is a great area. As for schools, we had our issues, but I know many people that have had success navigating RCSD (Rochester City School District)

Also there is a parent forum not associated with the District for parents in RCSD to keep parents up to date and share experiences. Flower City Parents Flower City Parents Forum - Index

Elementary schools. The district is divided into 3 Zones.You choose from schools within your zone. Browncroft is part of the Northeast zone for RCSD purposes. Your home school would be No. 46. In addition to your zone schools, you can also choose from several district wide schools with various programs. They are lottery schools. Get on the RCSD Website for more information
Rochester City School District / Overview
If you go into the Parents Tab and go to forms then to School Choice Information and click on the Northeast Booklet. You can get information about how the process works and the schools available to you in that zone.

Middle/High schools. You are not limited to Monroe and East. All high schools are available to all students regardless of location. And at least school #58, World of Inquiry is on it’s way to be K-12. Expeditionary learning, great reputation. Some of the schools are going K-8. There are three middle/high schools that I have friends whose kids go there and are happy They are SOTA (School of the Arts), Wilson and School Without Walls. The first two have a middle school (known as Foundation Academies in RCSD).

Charter Schools, there are several to choose from. If you google “Charter Schools in Rochester, New York) you can find information. I know you don’t have a child yet but this at least gives you a jumping off point and knowing in a large urban district like this, things change year to year and just to keep your self updated.

I also want to add that the district has an awesome pre-K program. I believe there is one at 46 now and my kids both went to the one at 52.
Great information! Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:23 PM

Here are more private schools in and around Rochester: Search For Schools, Colleges and Libraries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area