U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 11:24 AM

12 posts, read 32,869 times
You could also go south, Henrietta. If you don't mind a little drive, Chruchville or even Brockport are nice as well. Byron and Bergen are still a bit farther of a drive, but would have houses in your price range. Nice small communities in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 06:43 AM

19 posts, read 84,403 times
East of Mt Read and south of 104 are not great places to live. Very cheap housing though. The closer you get to 490 while still being east of Mt Read is not that nice of an area at all. A few blocks north of 490 and east of Mt Read Ave was the red light district of the Rochester area. Since Robert Duffy (previously police chief) took office this area has seen increased police and foot patrols which I take it have helped.

As with any city -- main roads, RR tracks and commercial zones seem to help people segregate themselves. There are several places around town where a block one way or another changes the overall makeup of the neighborhood.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:31 AM

5,384 posts, read 6,707,538 times
As a single mother I don't know what kind of repairs or yard work you would be enthusiastic about taking on... have you thought about a condo/townhome? You could get one in Fairport or Penfield in the lower $100K range... possibly less. I would try to get my kids into those school districts... they are some of the BEST. And you wouldn't have to worry about a yard and repairs like you would if you purchased a less expensive home that is older and needing repairs... just a suggestion. I would do a search for Schoold Districts on Nothnagle.com - Rochester's Full Service REALTORģ - for Pittsford, Fairport, Penfield, and even Webster... but do it by District because that will provide you with more options than the town alone.... Good luck... I live in Penfield School District and am a Fairport Grad if you have any questions.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 7,279 times
I am planning to move to Rochester in Diringer Pl, I will be working @ Hill Haven and need to know about the neighborhood.I am a single parent of 3 and would like some help on knowing the area..

Old 07-25-2008, 09:39 AM

525 posts, read 1,177,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcruzsoto View Post
I am planning to move to Rochester in Diringer Pl, I will be working @ Hill Haven and need to know about the neighborhood.I am a single parent of 3 and would like some help on knowing the area..
The good news is that Diringer Place is near the Public Market and Swan's...a fantastic German meat market. The bad news is that is a rough part of the city and the schools are bad. I wouldn't live there if I had the choice, but I don't know your situation.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:32 PM

3 posts, read 13,405 times
I am a single mother of three in the medical field.....what will be the best place to move to in Rochester far as Schools and Hospitals

Old 02-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Status: "Game recognized game from the start" (set 20 days ago)

30,289 posts, read 34,983,877 times
Out of the city schools, here are the best schools:School 23-Francis Parker - Rochester, New York - NY - School overview

School 19-Dr Charles T Lunsford - Rochester, New York - NY - School overview

School 58-World of Inquiry School - Rochester, New York - NY - School overview

School of the Arts - Rochester, New York - NY - School overview

School Without Walls - Rochester, New York - NY - School overview

and hospitals:http://www.stronghealth.com/about/hospitals/smh.cfm

http://www.viahealth.org/

Old 02-03-2009, 09:15 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,119,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnie25 View Post
I am a single mother of three in the medical field.....what will be the best place to move to in Rochester far as Schools and Hospitals
Depending on what hospital you would be working at (if you would be working at a hospital?)

Strong Memoral or Highland Hospital; Brighton would be the best area. Amazing schools and close to those hospitals.

Unity Hospital, Western Greece would be the best

Rochester General Hospital....you'd probably want to live in Irondequoit, in the West Irondequoit school district.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:36 AM

201 posts, read 316,453 times
You've got some great help up here from some great people. Personally, I would recommend the Brighton area and also Fairport. Brighton is more of a "retirement" area and is very close to most stuff since it is in the middle of the city. Also, Fairport and Pittsford are great places to start fresh. Good luck to you.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:00 AM

8 posts, read 28,115 times
Default Greece again

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnie25 View Post
Greece is once again the close winner on this one because of proximity to Rochester General and Park Ridge Hospital. Strong Memorial wouldn't be too far if you ended up landing a job there. The really affordable homes are off W. Ridge Road on the North side of Ridge heading west. I had lots of friends that lived off of Wood Rd, past the mall on the North hand side. I havent lived in Greece for about 12 years, live in the Phoenix area now (guess why) but school busses are much available in Rochester, compared to Arizona big time. Schools in NY are BY FAR better than most in the country. Sure the weather is nicer in Arizona, but the kids are dumb. People here in Arizona as a matter of fact ARE dumb.

People here on this message board seem to like inside the city limits, which is great if you don't have children and thats because of the schools. Suburb schools are way better and thats because there is more family structure and support (in general) in the outlying areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area