Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 07:52 AM

34 posts, read 74,591 times

Advertisements

I'm from the town born and raised (NE) the hood lol...Left after 21 years (6 months ago lmao) to be near some family and basically just something new all together. I'm in Portland Or now and it's great but there's a huuuuge wave of gentrification going on. With that said I've studied the process I kinda know some of the signs and or stages and I think Rochester might be on its way... Lower income shifting to suburban areas (is happening in Gates, Greece, Irondequoit)...the BIKE lanes. So what do you think? Personally I'm not a fan of gentrification but it may do a city like Rochester some good. Here in Portland the gentrification has pushed ALOT of people out of there homes but a ton of the long time residents are still here (N, NE Portland) so it's somewhat integrated for now. If gentrification happens in Rochester will it be a success? Will more people move there or maybe even move back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 07:57 AM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow925 View Post
I'm from the town born and raised (NE) the hood lol...Left after 21 years to be near some family and basically just something new all together. I'm in Portland Or now and it's great but there's a huuuuge wave of gentrification going on. With that said I kinda know some of the signs or stages and I think Rochester might be on its way... Lower income shifting to suburban areas (is happening in Gates, Greece, Irondequoit)...the BIKE lanes. So what do you think? Personally I'm not a fan of gentrification but it may do a city like Rochester some good. Here in Portland the gentrification has pushed ALOT of people out of there homes but a ton of the long time residents are still here (N, NE Portland). If gentrification happens in Rochester will it be a success? Will more people move there or maybe even move back?
I think the city has actually seen a slight uptick in population recently. Rochester is Growing. Slowly. on Smugtown Beacon

Old 01-06-2014, 08:42 AM

97 posts, read 200,838 times
These two links would be good places to start:

https://rocwiki.org/Development_Projects
rochesterdowntown.com | Rochester New York

While it's always easy to point to the negative (like poor Northland-Lyceum), the fact is Rochester is a diverse city full of both pluses and minuses. One big plus has been the gradual revival of downtown. According to 2013 Downtown Market Housing Report (available RochesterDowntown.com), downtown's population grew 11% from 2000 to 2010 and vacancy rates for residential units remains well below the recommended industry standard for a strong housing market. And this is not subsidized housing either - most of the new lofts and new construction (like Erie Harbor and Corn Hill Landing) are aimed at the luxury market and have drawn a large number of affluent people back to the city. The Rochester Subway blog recently reported that an independent grocery store plans to move downtown, and Tops has also expressed an interest in opening a store there.

Meanwhile, the Southeast Quadrant remains universally a great place to live, while the 19th Ward and Plymouth-Exchange have seen huge improvements thanks to the University of Rochester's expansion across the river. So while it's true, large parts of the city do struggle and struggle badly (poverty and the state of the RCSD remain huge problems), I think over the next 5-10 years other parts will continue to grow and thrive.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:42 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the city has actually seen a slight uptick in population recently. Rochester is Growing. Slowly. on Smugtown Beacon
There has been a lot of new housing in Rochester and there are 1000's more units proposed and most are pricey. With Rochester finally adding population the past 2 years, I think in 5-10 years we may start to see 1000 new residents per year. I drive around the city and there is a lot of private investment, even in the not so great neighborhoods. I believe Kodak is going to start to thrive soon, and even if they don't, the old Kodak Park is filling back up again. So yeah, I think we've turned the corner. I don't know what Lovely has in mind, but I thought Richards was doing a pretty good job.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:29 PM

New grocery store proposed downtown. Don't know who it is, but the tops ceo all but guaranteed a downtown Rochester store a couple of weeks ago. 6000 people now live downtown. Retail should start to follow.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:31 PM

oops

Downtown auto body shop may be site of grocery store | Rochester Business Journal New York business news and information

Old 01-09-2014, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,516 times
I will solve the puzzel for 500, Detroit.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:05 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 631 View Post
lol

Detroit Jr.

Or North Charlotte, NC were also acceptable.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:33 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I don't know what Lovely has in mind, but I thought Richards was doing a pretty good job.
Well, she's already on the right track to destroying the city. I wouldn't mind seeing this happen though, maybe then all the trash will stay in the city and away from Seabreeze so that becomes a desirable place to go again for decent folk who want to have a good time without dealing with the scum of society.

Lovely Warren Floats Idea of Water Park - RochesterHomepage.net

Old 01-10-2014, 07:07 AM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 631 View Post
As a person that has been to Detroit, nah.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area