U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 11:55 AM

148 posts, read 437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
I've had it with Florida.

The problem is that my wife and I both have education jobs and we know they are slim-to-none in WNY.

Buffalo schools are hiring, if you don't mind being followed out to your car and getting beaten by the students. They also have a wage freeze by the state run control board. Why you'd want to come back to WNY is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 01:03 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,124,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
That leaves me out (well, sort of), I can preach the wonders of WNY, but the borderline - Rochester/Finger Lakes Area is Ontario County which is not of the "WNY" region. Whereas Erie, Allegheny, Cattauragus, Chautaugua, Genesee, Niagara, Orleans, Wyoming Counties are the real Western New York. (Sorry, but to me it's like the difference between Brooklyn and the Bronx, or vise versa. Those living in each can point out the diversity of one another).

However, here in Buffalo (Erie County) though.... housing is in great supply, the taxes are a killer, (it is NYS afterall). If considering my area click here to see my "why Buffalo?" thread.
Ontario county...and Monroe County where Rochester is for that matter...are part of WNY...the area you are referring to is called the Niagara Frontier...it's half of WNY...and the Rochester/Fingerlakes area is the other half.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itSmellsBAD View Post
Buffalo schools are hiring, if you don't mind being followed out to your car and getting beaten by the students. They also have a wage freeze by the state run control board. Why you'd want to come back to WNY is beyond me.
That's because YOU'E NEVER LEFT!!! I swear, some people are SO thickheaded. Not everyone has the same negative stigma of Upstate NY as you do. I moved back to WNY from NC and I LOVE IT HERE. So get off everyone's case who likes this beautiful region...you and 12Buttons both. If you don't like it here LEAVE! You're bitterness and pessimism certainly won't be missed.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:55 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,437,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itSmellsBAD View Post
Muggy, I wanted to let you know that Buffalo schools are not all like a few isolated occurences that the news reports may have stereotyped across the nation. I bet a simple search on the internet can find such happenings in others schools from time to time. We are not a school system as in the movie Dangerous Minds.

The wage freeze was placed on the City of Buffalo police which is being negociated to be lifted soon. The City of Buffalo, and the County of Erie are both under control boards partial because of 80% of our budget (County) goes towards state mandates leaving our government with very little else to provide services to the people of the county. I think the biggest problem you'd face if coming to Buffalo for teaching is the Super of schools is anti-union and is constantly locking horns with the head of our teacher's union.

Theye are many Buffalo schools that are under construction right now.

Quote:
Ontario county...and Monroe County where Rochester is for that matter...are part of WNY...the area you are referring to is called the Niagara Frontier...it's half of WNY...and the Rochester/Fingerlakes area is the other half.
I'minformed2, please let me know now if you plan on going into every thread I speak in and try to discount what I've provided in a different thread about the 8 counties of WNY.

I think it would be unfair to Muggy who's looking for ideas/information on moving to our region.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:11 AM

897 posts, read 1,599,718 times
Here are some articles on the fair plan
MyMonroe. Opening Up Government. | Monroe County, NY
http://www.monroecounty.gov/files/Co..._session_4.pdf
fair plan legal battle
VIDEO: Greece blasts county FAIR plan - Rochester, NY - MPNnow
School districts feel FAIR plan isn’t (http://westsidenewsonline.com/OldSite/westside/news/2007/1021/features/schooldistricts.html - broken link)
http://www.hilton.k12.ny.us/mcft10-07.pdf (broken link)
East Rochester Schools
UnfairToKids.org. A service of Monroe County Federation of Teachers. Monroe County, New York.
Brighton Schools - About our District

My opinion if this goes thru it will be again another down fall of Monroe County. If the school district accept the cuts and do not increase taxes they will cut programs and that always = job loss.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:20 AM

3,235 posts, read 4,926,595 times
They don't have to cut lots of jobs or programs that benefit education. They can trim lots and lots of fat. There is too much propaganda put out by the school districts and teachers unions saying that the children will be effected.
You can easily cut useless spending on new sports fields. Cut money going to sports and let the people that play the sports foot the bill. You can make cuts to health plans. Teachers receive very good health insurance. Let the teachers foot some of the health bill like us in the private sector have to.
They do not need to build these expensive performing arts centers either.
If we are talking about jobs being cut, they should cut some of these useless administrative jobs. Other states get by without as many administrators. You don't have to cut hundreds of jobs either. Maybe a handful at each district.
This is only 2% of their budget. They can easily make adjustments and get rid of some fat.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:40 AM

897 posts, read 1,599,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
That's because YOU'E NEVER LEFT!!! I swear, some people are SO thickheaded. Not everyone has the same negative stigma of Upstate NY as you do. I moved back to WNY from NC and I LOVE IT HERE. So get off everyone's case who likes this beautiful region...you and 12Buttons both. If you don't like it here LEAVE! You're bitterness and pessimism certainly won't be missed.
Yeah you left Rochester to go to NC. If you did your homework you would have found out NC was no better than Rochester. You just migrated probably during the down turn of the mid-90ís when Kodak and Xerox were going belly up. Charlotte NC has the most people that left Rochester than any other city in America. The reason why people left was because the sun belt was much cheaper to live in the past decade and faster growing manufacturing sector(which is the same thing the Rust belt is know for) but now it is getting expensive and overcrowded. But trust me you have only been back to Rochester in the past year. Give it a couple years and the honeymoon phase will be over and you will be sick of the same tax problems, poor government leadership and decline of the city. Again If I haven't said it Welcome back to one of the Poorest Area's in America.

I thought human nature was to aspire to something great. Rochester and Buffalo is an reflection of its people.

It is okay for you to disagree with people that do not like upstate or western ny.

(This is not directed to you it is just a statement of my belief of the area.) I just find it odd to live your entire life in a declining city. I thought most parents advice was to choose your friends wisely because you will associate with their behavior. So if you want to be successful you should surround yourself with successful people. I believe that most people that left the area did exactly that and all that is left of the city is the helpless and people that do not care to truly aspire to great things.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:00 AM

3,235 posts, read 4,926,595 times
Not everybody has the same negative view and judges an area on baseless claims like you do. Many people enjoy the area.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:15 AM

I think that's a ridiculous notion...at least the last part. There are plenty of successfull people with great apsirations left in this area. Do you not still live here yourself? I think you overestimate the number of young educated people who have left this area too...implying that most people have left. That's just not true, it is a disturbingly high proportion I will agree; but not "most" by a longshot. Last estimate I heard was about 30%, and that is for the whole upstate average; the rochester area is probably a little below that (whereas areas such as Utica and Elmira it is probably much higher). Yes...the high tax burden and resulting lower job growth is a serious issue that is holding this area back; but another one is the extreme negativity/ doom&gloom mentality of far too many people...like this for example?

Quote:
Give it a couple years and the honeymoon phase will be over and you will be sick of the same tax problems, poor government leadership and decline of the city. Again If I haven't said it Welcome back to one of the Poorest Area's in America.
was that really necessary? Can me and my family not just enjoy living here, must we really become as depressed as you and ItSmellsBad? All of my family lives in Rochester, most of them for there whole lives (a few others have moved elswhere for a while and returned just like me). And they all live happy and succesfull lives, and as far as I know aren't "aspiration lacking". I have no problems with a person if they dislike upstate ny; but to have the audacity to say that nobody, including me, can be happy here unless they have no aspirations; that is what I take issue with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area