Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 06:57 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,818,378 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My family and I plan on relocating to the Rochester area next summer (2015). My wife and I are mid twenties and we have three children. There ages will be 5 (oldest boy) and 3 (twin girls) when we move. We are relocating from Watertown NY and I plan to transfer to SUNY Geneseo (Fall 15). We are looking for a nice family suburb with good schools and close to shopping, parks, and having decent access the an interstate would be nice. I know Geneseo is about 35 miles south of the city so suburbs south of the city are a plus. Can anyone tell me about the commute on 390 South? Is there a better route?
The main reason we are leaving Watertown is because there just isn't anything here. We have family in this area and we don't want to live to far away, so we figure Rochester is our best option as far as jobs, good schools, lower housing cost, and generally a nice place to raise our family. I know my description is pretty vague but we are hoping to at least get a few ideas so we can start checking out different areas once the weather gets a little better. Any additional info or opinions are welcomed. Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 05:58 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Id say to look into Brighton, Honeoye Falls-Lima, Pittsford and eventhough some may disagree, parts of the Rush-Henrietta(think Watertown City demographics, but better academic numbers or perhaps a suburban Indian River) school districts. Rush may be a happy medium between shopping in Henrietta and SUNY-Geneseo. Avon would also be a happy medium.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:58 PM

We would be renting at first, are there any nice townhouses/apartments (preferably) townhouse in those areas, 3+ Bedroom's that allow dogs for around 1100-1200?

Old 02-26-2014, 11:09 PM

30 posts, read 37,859 times
welcome to the area, not sure where you are moving in from but Rochester has a lot to offer, and as you will find some haters. Its a WNY thing.

What type of suburb are you looking for? What town will you have to commute to (or if commuting from downtown). One bonus to the Rochester area is that you can be as close or from the city as you want and still be within 30 minutes or so of anywhere.

Price range 1100-1200 and dogs... some rentals in the area allow no dogs, others smaller breeds. If its a large pooch you may look at renting a house instead.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:08 AM

We are moving from Watertown NY (hour north of Syracuse). We are looking for a small(er) quiet suburb. I plan on transferring to SUNY Geneseo but we still want to be a little closer to the city than Geneseo, so the commute isnt really that big of a deal. How is the commute from the city to Geneseo on 390? Is there a better route to take? We would prefer to be south or southeast of the city with decent access to the interstates. We also have three children that will be starting elementary school soon, so a good school district is important. We have two dogs but they are both small (under 25 lbs). One of the main reasons we'd rather have a townhouse or apartment for now is to not have to worry about lawn care, snow removal, etc until we actually financially set to purchase a house, and once we really know the area we want to settle in.
We are planing to make alot of visits this summer to check out possible neighborhoods but right now we are trying to get a good idea of the areas to check out and ones to avoid as well. Thanks!

Old 02-27-2014, 08:06 AM

This should help in terms rentals: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Rochester, NY apartments and classified listings from the The Renters Guide Magazine.

Again, I'd say to look into Rush, Avon and Honeoye Falls/Lima for something in between Geneseo and shopping in Henrietta or Rochester. Others may fit as well depending on what you are looking for and how far you are willing to drive.

Here is some elementary school info: Monica B Leary Elementary School - Rush, New York - NY - School overview

Avon Primary School - Avon, New York - NY - School overview

Lima Elementary School - Lima, New York - NY - School overview
Manor Intermediate School - Honeoye Falls, New York - NY - School overview

If I'm not mistaken, West Henrietta, which is more suburban and southwest of the Thruway, feeds into Leary Elementary in Rush. This can also give an idea in terms of distance between shopping and Geneseo: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Genes...iTGZ0dts2DdElQ

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-27-2014 at 08:53 AM..

Old 02-27-2014, 05:49 PM

Thank you very much for the rental sites, those will be very helpful. We actually are planning on coming to Rochester at the beginning of June for my sons birthday and visiting the Strong Museum and the zoo. Is there anything else that would be nice to visit around that time?

Old 02-27-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Thank you very much for the rental sites, those will be very helpful. We actually are planning on coming to Rochester at the beginning of June for my sons birthday and visiting the Strong Museum and the zoo. Is there anything else that would be nice to visit around that time?
Perhaps SeaBreeze or Roseland in Canandaigua. Seabreeze Amusement Park

Roseland Waterpark

I'm just not sure if the kids are too young to enjoy either place though.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:07 PM

34 posts, read 74,616 times
I'd say Brighton or Henrietta...

Old 02-28-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow925 View Post
I'd say Brighton or Henrietta...
Why those two and not any of the others listed? Just curious, they both look like great communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area