Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 08:52 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,314,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Obviously a park isn't there to make money, it's a perk afforded by tax payer dollars and one of the few things we get to actually use as a return on what we pay in. Not EVERYTHING in this world exists for the sole reason of making money. If they did want it to make money, then they would have made it so you need to pay to get in, which wouldn't go over very well considering not many parks, at least none that I'm aware of, charge an entrance fee. Although I guess if anything, that would keep all of the trash out that really makes me not want to go down there to begin with.
If you've been to Charlotte, you can understand there is room to spare. If you think the numbers of park-goers will stay the same with 10 boardwalk-side shops, you're insane. It will only draw more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 04:57 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,006 times
I've lived within a 5 minute drive from Charlotte for my entire life, to say I've been there a few times is an understatement.

db, you still have no idea what you're talking about, so thanks for at least being consistent in that regard.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:03 PM

Look harder.

If you don't want to destroy the "precious view" of the bacteria waves while you picnic, you could build them along the pier pathway and on either side of the community building. The drawings I have on there are relatively huge. You could easily cut them in half for one store. Look at surrounding house sizes for an idea.

Last edited by rorytmeadows; 05-16-2014 at 08:23 PM..

Old 05-17-2014, 11:25 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,066 times
Quote:
I've lived within a 5 minute drive from Charlotte for my entire life, to say I've been there a few times is an understatement.

db, you still have no idea what you're talking about, so thanks for at least being consistent in that regard.
Actually, you're the one that has no clue what they are talking about. You think a "park" will solve Charlotte's problem. A tax payer subsidized park as opposed to private money from a company willing to spend millions of dollars to develop while taking on the risk of the project. So why are you "over taxed" again? It's not hard to figure out. The last thing Charlotte needs is a "park".

Seriously though. Why do some think that "parks" are the answers to all economic woes? Oh I know..it's because it gives them an excuse to say.."see...I wanted some development there", all the while supporting a plan that they know full well would never actually do anything to improve the businesses in those areas, nor spur any more development.

Again, I point the "secret sidewalk" that the residents of Charlotte tried to block off from the public.

The Secret Sidewalk near the park - Picture of Ontario Beach Park, Rochester - TripAdvisor

How many people know about that sidewalk and its beauty? Not too many because all attempts have been made to shut out the public by the residents of Charlotte from this public piece of property.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:34 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,444,069 times
The EB-5 funding is interesting.

I know business owners in Charlotte and many residents who live between Burley St. by the cemetery, all the way to Beach Ave. Two business owners I know have stated publicly they will close if the city gets their way on this harebrained scheme. Residents are up in arms, and they know full well the city is trying to sell them a bill of goods, same as what happened with the ferry.

Chinese investors have been looking at Charlotte for several years, now. Couple that with the EB-5 deal, and one can see that the city and the Michigan developer are pulling out all the stops re: public funding. The Chinese economy is slowing, and rich folks over there are looking at places in the West to park their money, and projects to invest in. A Chinese company owns the Port of Toledo, and other cities along the Great Lakes have received attention from the Chinese. Zero interest rate policy by the central banks helps, of course, but at any rate I have a sneaking suspicion the city has a back-up plan in case the project doesn't deliver as advertised.

I think the whole thing stinks, I'm sure there's no coincidence between it, and the fact that the Midtown project will be winding down in the next year or so, and the mega (and stupid) student housing project in Geneseo will be winding down as well. They're throwing bones at the construction unions to keep them happy (amongst other special interests).

Old 05-19-2014, 09:28 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,088,107 times
There's a website up about it now: waterfrontROCHESTER.org - the Association to SAVE CHARLOTTE

Old 05-20-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
The last thing Charlotte needs is a "park"..
I don't know how long you've lived here, but you seem to be unaware of the fact that Ontario Beach Park in Charlotte has always been Ontario Beach Park in Charlotte, and has always done well as a park. Your logic here is confusing at best, and downright lacking at worst. What economical woes do you speak of? Are you referring to the areas of Lake Ave between Boxart St and the parkway? Do you think that putting up a few high rises with absurdly priced condos is going to somehow recreate that area in to a mini Pittsford?

The way you're talking about Charlotte is like the beach area in question here is a mini Detroit with run down buildings and rampant crime. As I said, you keep going on and on as if you really have no clue about what this discussion is about.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:46 PM

Before it was a park it was an amusement park, surrounded by hotels and restaurants. That's the heritage of Charlotte and this plan aims to revitalize that.

Last edited by rorytmeadows; 05-20-2014 at 08:01 PM..

Old 05-20-2014, 07:15 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,066 times
Quote:
I don't know how long you've lived here, but you seem to be unaware of the fact that Ontario Beach Park in Charlotte has always been Ontario Beach Park in Charlotte, and has always done well as a park. Your logic here is confusing at best, and downright lacking at worst. What economical woes do you speak of? Are you referring to the areas of Lake Ave between Boxart St and the parkway? Do you think that putting up a few high rises with absurdly priced condos is going to somehow recreate that area in to a mini Pittsford?

The way you're talking about Charlotte is like the beach area in question here is a mini Detroit with run down buildings and rampant crime. As I said, you keep going on and on as if you really have no clue about what this discussion is about.
Wow...you really are either clueless or are purposefully trying to steer away from the truth...which is it? I've lived in Rochester my entire life. But beyond that even, I know the history of Rochester very well. So what are these economic woes I speak of? How about the fact that at one time Charlotte was a bustling tourist attraction. It then declined all while the residents stood by and did nothing. More recently, there are many failed restaurants and virtually zero development. Meanwhile not a peep out of the residents. Oh so finally there is some action on development plans and so many people pop out of the woodwork to make sure everybody knows how much they hate the plans. But again, I'm not stupid. It's not the plans they hate. It's the fact that Rochester wants to redevelop Charlotte into a really nice area that attracts people and the residents there don't want these "outsiders" invading their land.

In the meantime, all the conspiracists, drama queens and hysterics are used as a tool to try and trick the greater Rochester public into thinking this some conspiracy being perpetrated by the city of Rochester.

And the answer being presented as an alternative is a PARK???? A PARK??? A TAXPAYER funded PARK??? Because the current park there isn't enough? So we are going to subsidize another park which doesn't encourage people to live, work and visit Charlotte. Really? A PARK??? C'mon. "Parks" aren't the answer to every development problem I'm sorry to say when you have prime land that can become so much more and benefit the Rochester area so much greater.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:19 PM

Lol, right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area