Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 07:27 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,317,064 times

Advertisements

This is a really great article about the plans Bill Destler has for the future of RIT. He's going to work to make the school a big player on the international scale and also increase the impact the college is going to have locally in the Rochester area. This is great news.

Quote:
Destler discussed the future of RIT — and some its initiatives — in a meeting with the Democrat and Chronicle editorial board Tuesday. He provided an overview of the college’s new strategic plan, “Greatness Through Difference,” which is a blueprint for the next 10 years.

“We’ll be bigger, much more prominent, more engaged internationally,” said Destler.

he plan also calls for RIT to help launch 20 startup companies a year — a big increase from five or six new companies annually

RIT will continue to expand its online offerings under the plan, and the creative use of technology continues to be an RIT trademark.
Destler has high hopes with RIT plan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 07:34 PM

91,994 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
This is a really great article about the plans Bill Destler has for the future of RIT. He's going to work to make the school a big player on the international scale and also increase the impact the college is going to have locally in the Rochester area. This is great news.

Destler has high hopes with RIT plan
I wonder if there would be plans for a presence within the city of Rochester again? I think that would be great and it could help provide or increase vibrancy wherever they would locate within the city.

After reading the article, I really hope that his plans come to fruition and could bring the institution and area to another level.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I wonder if there would be plans for a presence within the city of Rochester again? I think that would be great and it could help provide or increase vibrancy wherever they would locate within the city.

After reading the article, I really hope that his plans come to fruition and could bring the institution and area to another level.
Actually RIT just recently was donated a building downtown that they are now starting to utilize as an incubator. The article doesn't explicitly state anything about this building, but I'm sure this building will be prominent for the increase in startups that RIT is looking to foster. Also, there's another incubator group in Rochester called High Tech Rochester that has requested a grant from the state to go downtown as well. I think they are going to get the funding too, so I wouldn't be surprised to see RIT working with HTR at some point in the future too.

40 Franklin | Center for Urban Entrepreneurship (CUE) | RIT

Quote:
The Center for Urban Entrepreneurship (CUE) marks the return of Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) to the city after leaving office space on West Main Street in the mid-1990s. The original campus was also downtown, but RIT began building its current campus, located in Henrietta, in the 1960s, and initially opening in 1968.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:14 AM

I also wonder if Destler is looking to take advantage of StartUP NY to attract companies/keep startups in the area or if the startups will be created without the help of the program?

Old 11-27-2014, 11:41 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,804,559 times
How about a story with a title - "RIT looking to become more affordable"?

$46K tuition plus $14K room and board - that's way over most household's budgets.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post

$46K tuition plus $14K room and board - that's way over most household's budgets.
Many times, private institutions can offer more in terms of aid. So, I wonder if that is an aspect that will be expanded under this administration.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post

Nobody is going to pay that much money out of pocket. RIT offers a lot of aid. They have millions of dollars in endowments which are given to students that can't afford the tuition. And if you had read the article instead of just making a comment on the title, you'd also realize that they are doing exactly those things to address affordability for those demographics that may not be able to afford the school. For instance, they have programs for inner city students that can't afford the tuition where those families don't have to pay a dime for their education. And they have more openings available than students who have taken advantage of the program.

So maybe the title should be "RIT offers free scholarships for inner city students that can't afford it...so please take advantage of this great program"!!

Quote:
Destler talked about the importance of a college education in a knowledge-based economy, but expressed disappointment that more city students aren’t participating in RIT’s Rochester City Scholars program.

Under this program, city school students who get admitted to RIT and whose families meet income eligibility don’t pay tuition — at $35,256 this school year. RIT covers the difference between any grants and scholarships the students get and tuition.

Destler said that he hoped the program would attract 150 students a year, but it now has a total of about 80.

Students in the program have done well at RIT, but not enough city students are going to RIT.

The plan calls for doubling the number of students in City Scholars.

“We have to do a better job of getting these kids through college,” he said.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I also wonder if Destler is looking to take advantage of StartUP NY to attract companies/keep startups in the area or if the startups will be created without the help of the program?
Yes exactly ckhthankgod. I was reading that RIT has 15 applications in place for the startup ny right now. And they recently brought Datto to Rochester from Boston to take advantage of the program. So I bet increasing the number of startups is also greatly tied to hopes of getting more companies into that program.

Quote:
Datto Inc., the premier global provider of backup, disaster recovery (BDR) and Intelligent Business Continuity (IBC) solutions, announced today the grand opening of its new office space in Rochester. Joined by New York Lt. Gov. Robert J. Duffy, other state and local elected officials and Rochester Institute of Technology President Bill Destler, Datto founder and CEO and RIT graduate Austin McChord cut the honorary ribbon to the 12,000 square foot facility.

As one of the first companies to join the START-UP NY program in June, the company takes the fourth floor of the RIT-owned 40 Franklin St. in downtown Rochester, site of the historic former Rochester Savings Bank. The first class of Rochester-based employees will join Datto’s award-winning 24/7/365 technical support department serving partner needs around the world.

“It feels great to not only expand Datto to new areas, but also to give back to a city I love,” stated McChord. “It’s a dream come true to bring jobs to Rochester. Thanks to Governor Cuomo’s vision for business expansion and economic development in creating START-UP NY, we’re able to do just that. RIT was also instrumental in helping support and guide us through the process and we’re thrilled to be here.”
https://www.rit.edu/news/story.php?id=50969

Old 11-28-2014, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Nobody is going to pay that much money out of pocket. RIT offers a lot of aid. They have millions of dollars in endowments which are given to students that can't afford the tuition. And if you had read the article instead of just making a comment on the title, you'd also realize that they are doing exactly those things to address affordability for those demographics that may not be able to afford the school. For instance, they have programs for inner city students that can't afford the tuition where those families don't have to pay a dime for their education. And they have more openings available than students who have taken advantage of the program.

So maybe the title should be "RIT offers free scholarships for inner city students that can't afford it...so please take advantage of this great program"!!
Majority of college applicants are not inner city and will not meet the income eligibility requirements - ie, they are not "poor enough". So how much does the average RIT student really pay out of pocket? Is it anywhere near $4K - $15K/year that in-state SUNY students pay?

Old 11-28-2014, 03:01 AM

Maybe herewith is the answer:

http://www.collegefactual.com/colleg...ge/net-price/#

Basically families that make >75K income regardless of COL will pay anywhere from 33K-38K in today's prices, with the net cost going up ~5.5%/year which in some cases could mean 53K/year especially middle class households in major metro areas that make >110K (ex. 2-income families).

So where exactly are these "millions of dollars in endowments" ending up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area