Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 09:09 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,883 times

Advertisements

How are taxes in the city too high? Taxes in the city limits are well below those of the surrounding suburbs, and it's impressive the city can still provide the services it does considering all of the renters in the city who aren't paying property/school taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 04:21 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,927 times
The best schools in NJ are superior to the best schools in Upstate NY.

That's an answer to the person who didn't reveal their identity when giving me rep points but commented on how bad schools were in NJ, so I should keep my mouth shut. First, I never commented on schools because I have no horse in that race. 2nd, if there's one thing NJ has, its rich, demanding, helicopter parents in towns like Princeton and Montclair and 40 other towns, whose nannies take them to top ranked schools.

But thanks for the rep points. I'm pretty sure I know who you are anyway.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:01 PM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
I will say that ironically, when you read those Newsweek Best Schools lists, the highest NY State school is usually a Buffalo City magnet school(City Honors). Many times, it is in the top 10, if not top 3 or 5 overall.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:54 PM

5,697 posts, read 4,093,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I will say that ironically, when you read those Newsweek Best Schools lists, the highest NY State school is usually a Buffalo City magnet school(City Honors). Many times, it is in the top 10, if not top 3 or 5 overall.
Isn't Brighton in the top 5? I think Pittsford- Mendon and P-Sutherlin are in the top 100 also?

Old 01-20-2015, 06:09 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Actually per the list for 2014 http://www.newsweek.com/high-schools...p-schools-2014 Pittsford Sutherland made #40, Pittsford Mendon made #50.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:01 AM

My mistake, it is usually from the rankings from US News and the Washington Post, but it appears that City Honors has slipped a bit depending on which list you look at. Washington Post has Buffalo's City Honors listed as the best HS in the Northeast and 26th nationally: Northeast Schools - The Washington Post

National Schools - The Washington Post

So, it may depend on which list you look at. Here are lists from Newsweek and US News: Search New York High Schools | US News

Best High Schools Rankings | Top High Schools | US News

Best High Schools in the US | Top US High Schools | Education - US News

http://www.newsweek.com/high-schools...p-schools-2014

Another list: The 50 Best Public High Schools in the U.S. | The Best Schools

Also, given the talk about school choice on this thread, this is a study that I heard about on my way into work today that I thought people would find to be interesting: Are Private Schools Really Better Than Public? | Money Talks News

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-21-2015 at 09:26 AM..

Old 01-21-2015, 02:06 PM

355 posts, read 390,692 times
Quote:
Yes thank you for the links

Old 01-21-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotstoboiledpenuts View Post
Yes thank you for the links
Reading the links he provided it's what I suspected. The school district is the entire county, new schools have been built and attendance zones need to be established. This can be a challenging process but it has to be done, the kids adjust fine but the parents take a while to settle down...

Old 01-21-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Reading the links he provided it's what I suspected. The school district is the entire county, new schools have been built and attendance zones need to be established. This can be a challenging process but it has to be done, the kids adjust fine but the parents take a while to settle down...
I think it also depends on how the children are shuffled in terms of bus rides/distance and the ability for parents to have access to their child's school. Perhaps there may be a real or perceived feeling of instability in terms of the relationships the child forms with peers and teachers, as well as with parents and school adminstrators/teachers.

With this said, I think the painful process has to be done in such a system.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:34 PM

/\

This occurs in any district regardless of the size, the same general arguments always arise:

1) How can you separate my child from his/her friends. (this is the number one argument)
2) We bought our house because of xyz school
3) We were told that XYZ neighborhood was not going to be rezoned.
4) I pay taxes! (always a favorite)

I could tell you some stories from rezoning's that we have had here...

Now the districts goals are:

1) Balance the attendance in the affected area usually striving for equal balance which allows for growth in each school.
2) Shorten bus routes
3) High Schools open with grades 9/10 allowing the class to matriculate through. Juniors/seniors normally stay at their current school to finish.

Existing teachers are allowed to request transfer to the new schools and often up to half the old school staff goes to the new school. I can't speak for Wake County but here administrators are regularly shuffled to broaden their experiences and skills. It is a process and there will always be someone who isn't happy, it's just the way it is. Student friendships seem to only be an issue at elementary school for parents. Kids can go all day and never see their friends but they act like their joined at the hip all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area