Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 01:41 PM

466 posts, read 982,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Webster sucks, it's a decent place to live and raise children but that's about it. It otherwise has no identity and nothing that makes you want to go there. If you want truly good food, you need to venture in to the city or to the west side, which is know for Italian and German food.

And it sounds like yiplong is a victim of the brainwashing that you need to go to a high dollar establishment with massively overpriced and embarrassingly small portions in a large city to experience "world class" food. While Rochester may be far from world class, there are most certainly some chefs in this city that will give anyone a run for their money when it comes to sheer quality.
Agreed. My meals at Atlas Eats and The Revelry, for example, are as good as meals I've had in NYC or San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 05:58 PM

376 posts, read 598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvl View Post
Umm, yeah, I have dined at world class restaurants. And will be hitting more in Paris, Rome, Venice and Florence this fall. Sort of into food. And wine, having worked in the industry for 13 years. I think for a city/suburbs the size of Roc, there are many very good restaurants in the area.
I agree Roc food scene is pretty for a city of its size (key words being city of its size). Some (or even many) restaurants around here are good, however calling Rochester or any of its restaurants "world class" is a very ridiculous stretch. Rochester can't hold a candle to NYC, SF, Rome, etc.

Quote:
And it sounds like yiplong is a victim of the brainwashing that you need to go to a high dollar establishment with massively overpriced and embarrassingly small portions in a large city to experience "world class" food. While Rochester may be far from world class, there are most certainly some chefs in this city that will give anyone a run for their money when it comes to sheer quality.
It sounds like you have confused the meaning of "world-class" with "good value". These are two very distinct concepts. Speak of value, I don't think food here is of good value, it's not bad either, just average. Average is pretty much what Rochester is, it's an average city with average food. Compared to other cities of comparable size, it may have slightly more to offer due to its glorious past as one of America's earliest boom towns. If you are are looking for anything world class however, this is not the right place to be.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:11 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,928 times
I would put Good Luck or The Revelry, Mr. Dominic's or Pomodoro up against any "world class" restauarnt. Rochester has some of the best Italian, Fusion and American restaurants whether you'd like to admit it or not.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:12 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,883 times
yiplong, please explain your argument in better detail and provide valid reasons why overpriced food in larger cities that for some reason demand things be overpriced is any better than a more reasonably priced meal at somewhere like Tournedos, The Reverly, etc. Thanks.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:14 PM

Some people just don't get it. They need the high prices, pretentious atmosphere and big city location to be great. They've been had.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:13 AM

15 posts, read 17,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
Free lesson of the day. Don't post that an entire city of 1 million has terrible food when you've only tried 3 restaurants from a suburb
OR maybe you should learn to be more hospitable towards people that moved here instead of being a condescending a**hole. OR is that the way people roll around here?

Old 04-24-2015, 09:15 AM

15 posts, read 17,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiplong View Post
I agree Roc food scene is pretty for a city of its size (key words being city of its size). Some (or even many) restaurants around here are good, however calling Rochester or any of its restaurants "world class" is a very ridiculous stretch. Rochester can't hold a candle to NYC, SF, Rome, etc.

It sounds like you have confused the meaning of "world-class" with "good value". These are two very distinct concepts. Speak of value, I don't think food here is of good value, it's not bad either, just average. Average is pretty much what Rochester is, it's an average city with average food. Compared to other cities of comparable size, it may have slightly more to offer due to its glorious past as one of America's earliest boom towns. If you are are looking for anything world class however, this is not the right place to be.
Thank you yiplong. Your statement "It's an average city with average food" pretty much sums up what my experience of Rochester has been in one week.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedazzledtraveler View Post
OR maybe you should learn to be more hospitable towards people that moved here instead of being a condescending a**hole. OR is that the way people roll around here?
People are very friendly here. However, your comments were absurd and I have no issue calling someone out for saying something like that.

The fact that you have lived here a week, tried 3 restaurants in a nearby suburb and hen proceeded to indict an entire metro area just speaks to your attitude and mindset. So yeah, I don't feel bad at all.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:51 AM

And when your first interaction here is stating that you're moving to "Rochester NY of all places" and that you're "apprehensive" and that you "wouldn't prefer moving up there", you pretty much have your mind made up. People will find anything to justify their preconceived notions.

You don't seem to get the simple concepts directed towards you. So this one will likely go over your head to. Sorry about that.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:10 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedazzledtraveler View Post
Thank you yiplong. Your statement "It's an average city with average food" pretty much sums up what my experience of Rochester has been in one week.
Except you haven't actually experienced any of the real restaurants in Rochester. You've eaten at suburban mediocre family restaurants/bars. I have eaten at over a hundred restaurants in the Rochester region. I'm always hitting the new restaurants when they come up. Do you know how many restaurants in Webster I've eaten at? Zero because none of them interest me at all. And I seriously doubt yiplong has really sampled the real restaurants in Rochester too based on their comments. Rochester is full of Italians and Greeks that are first/second generation families. There are real authentic Italian/Greek restaurants in the area. Every city I visit I always look for the authenticate Italian restaurants and Rochester's are equal to every one I've ever experienced.

The chef for Lento for instance is also the owner and his menu changes every single day. And the reason why it changes every day is because he hand picks the ingredients at the Public Market and has high end meats. It's a "farm to table" restaurant. He doesn't serve "bar" food.

From Lento's website:
"Our meat is procured locally,
butchered, smoked, and cured in-house

Our produce is sourced seasonally
from local farms

We pickle our own vegetables
and make our own condiments,
sauces, and dressings

Our breads and desserts are
baked in-house daily"

Have you or yiplong been to Lento?
Lento Restaurant - Rochester, NY

Napa has the best wood fired pizza I've ever tasted and I also sample pizza every city I visit. Again the reason is because they hand make every single ingredient.

From Napa's site:
"The Napa Team utilizes as much local produce as we can… from the fresh mint garnishing your Mojito to the basil on your Manicotti! We even grown our own Banana Peppers for our famous Stuffed Banana Peppers!"

They have their own farm they grow their vegetables in for crying out loud. Have you or yiplong been to Napa?

THE NAPA FARM - Napa

The Revelry has one of the most sophisticated menus I have ever seen. From their website:

"Established in 2013, The Revelry is a restaurant and bar in the Neighborhood of the Arts in Rochester, New York. We serve honest American cuisine that honors the Lowcountry of the South. The spirits, wine and beer we offer reflect our passion for artisanal, high-quality producers who put their heart and soul into the making of their product."

Do you want Salmon, Duck, Lamb? How about Palmetto Pigeon Plant
Roasted Squab? This isn't bar food. Again have you or yiplong been there?

Pane Vino has an incredible Italian menu and a fantastic environment right on the river:
http://www.panevinoontheriver175.com/

You want a real, as authentic Italian Restaurant as the come? Go visit Mr. Dominic's on the lake:
Home - Mr. Dominic's 585-730-5444

And if you want a lounge environment, check out this menu from Tapas 177. Again, FAR from a bar menu:

Soup or House Salad
Homemade soup du jour or fresh organic greens salad with asiago & balsamic vinagrette...$5.95 (some soup specials may be priced higher). PHO Every Monday & Tuesday $8.95
Steamed Mussels with Fries
Plump "P.E.I's" sautéed with spicy chorizo sausage, asparagus tips & white wine herbed tomato broth - topped with home made citrus parmesan tossed pomme frites...$15.95
Chicken Tika Masala
Braised chicken in a mild Indian tomato curry cream served over scallion jasmine rice with crispy wonton crackers...$9.95/$18.95 as an entrée (see entrée selections)
Curried Chicken Empanadas
3 Quick fried pastries stuffed with Indian curry roasted chicken & diced potatoes served with carmelized red onion prune & chestnut chutney, balsamic reduction & toasted chili infused oil...$9.95
Sher Ping Pancakes
Homemade southern Chinese style dumpling dough stuffed with spicy pork sausage, nappa cabbage & green onions-skillet pressed & served with sweet chili ponzu dipping sauce...$9.95
50/50 Burger Slider
50% ground short rib + 50% apple wood smoked bacon ground together into a slider- served in a mini bun with avocado caramelized onion mayo, balsamic ketchup & pomme frites...$10.95
Chicken Paillard
Thin chicken breast topped with mixed greens, grilled eggplant, zucchini, red bell peppers, artichoke hearts, gorgonzola, basil oil & lemon parsley vinagrette...$11.95
Grilled Shrimp Naan Pizza
Thin Indian flatbread with pecorino & fontina cheese, grilled shrimp, crisp proscuitto crumbles, sliced tomato, chimichurri, herbs & white truffle oil...$15.95 ***(May take longer to prepare)***
Tuna Tartare Napolean
RAW sashimi grade tuna scented with soy & Asian flavors, "artistically" layered & stacked between crisp wonton crackers, wasabi sour cream, guacamole, sesame oil, srirachi Thai pepper sauce & Tobiko...$15.95
Flash-Fried Calamari Salad
Flash fried squid tossed with organic mesclun greens, asiago cheese & lemon balsamic vinagrette...$11.95/ or 'bar syle' dusted with pecorino cheese served with spicy pickled peppers & maranara for dipping $13.95
Fresh Vegetable & Avocado Spring Rolls
Light & Fresh - filled with rice noodles, vegetables, avocado & herbs, served with warm coconut peanut dipping sauce...$8.95
Quail & Baked Goat Cheese Salad
Over mixed greens with dried cherry port wine dressing & topped with fire roasted sweet red peppers & crisp pancetta...$15.95 ***(May take longer to prepare)***
Italian Fusion Duo
Chorizo, ground beef & fontina meatball with zesty tomato sauce served along side a fried Arborio arancini stuffed with Greek spanakopita style spinach & feta...$10.95
Portobello Cream Cheese Wontons
Fried wonton 'purses' filled with sautéed mushrooms, herbs & cream cheese...$7.95
Philippine Chicken & Ginger Egg Rolls
Deep fried & served with sweet & sour sauce...$9.95
Bulgogi Crisp
Korean shredded beef BBQ with spicy go****an, kimchi & crispy wonton crackers...$11.95
Game Sausage Plate
Spicy Elk/Wild Boar, Chorizo & Venison blueberry merlot sausages served with cranberry orange chutney & tomato cilantro chutney...$17.95
Steamed Chicken Dumplings
5 tender dumplings filled with ground chicken, ginger & Asian spices steamed in a bamboo basket & served with scallion soy & spicy mustard dipping sauces...$9.95
Crab Cakes 177
Our signature crab cakes with Japanese Panko crumb coating - pan fried & served with our homemade salsa, guacamole & spicy remoulade sauce...$12.95
New Zealand Rack of Lamb
(4 chops) Served with baked feta/leek, polenta, cooling tzatziki sauce, basil oil, roasted peppers & zucchini fires...$17.95
Roasted Tomato Caprese
Marinated roasted tomatoes with fresh mozzarella cheese, basil oil & tomato salsa fresca...$8.95
Prosciutto Wrapped Artichoke Hearts
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND... baked in a rich gorgonzola sage cream served over toast points...$9.95
Tapas Entrée Selections
Seared Ahi Tuna
Fresh Ahi tuna coated with three seeds & quick seared RARE, served with sesame peanut sticky rice, peppadew shiitake mélange, cilantro mango salsa & spicy Japanese citrus chili ponzu sauce...$26.95
Spicy Thai Chicken Peanut Stir Fry
With bok choy, bell peppers, vegetables & creamy coconut peanut sauce over rice noodles & topped with crushed peanuts, scallions & sprouts...$19.95
Lemongrass Curry Scented Tofu
Firm tofu dredged with lemongrass & Asian spices, seared & served with fresh tomato & cucumber slices, fragrant Jasmine rice, sautéed scallions & soy dipping sauce...$17.95
"Flattened" Potato Gnocchi
Not a traditional gnocchi, we've 'flattened' them...pan seared with butter & topped with roasted butternut squash, mushrooms, spinach & Jack cheese...$18.95
Sautéed Chicken with Angel Hair
Perfectly tender chicken breast sautéed with artichoke hearts & asparagus tips served over thin pasta with a white wine lemon garlic butter sauce - finished with asiago & pecorino cheeses...$19.95
Chicken Tika Masala
A larger portion of our very popular Indian inspired chicken appetizer braised in a mild Indian tomato curry cream served over scallion jasmine rice with crispy wonton crackers & zucchini fries...$18.95
Smoked Sea Salt Strip Steak
House Cedar smoked salt & brown sugar rubbed strip steak served with butter whipped potatoes, spaghetti squash & butter fried egg...$29.95
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area