Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 02:04 PM

15 posts, read 17,371 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all, I am moving to Rochester, NY for a new job I got over there up here from Charlotte, NC. My job will be based out of Webster, NY to be precise. I know you must all be done with the terrible winters you have up there normally and are probably looking forward to a mild, pleasant summer. Anyway, how would a person like me find it to live in Rochester. I am a very outdoorsy person, love the mountains, bars, bar hopping, night life etc. I am a single, 30 male and love to be in a place full of beautiful women, Charlotte being one of them.

I have done a little research on Webster, NY and it seems to be a boring family suburb, I don't think there's much happening there for a single guy. What part of Rochester would you suggest all the single men to stay around? Where there's some activity happening, where there are say live bands, EDM events etc etc. I don't want to drive 20 miles each way to work everyday either that's just too far away. So please suggest what part of town would be better if I have to drive say around 5-10 miles to work everyday and where a single friendly guy like me wouldn't be bored to death.

I am already quite apprehensive about this change in my life and the fact that I said a yes to a job in Rochester, NY of all the places. Charlotte's been great to me and I have had some great memories here, however it's time to move on now since I will be done with this job in a month from now. Rochester, NY is the only place where I was able to find something I could possibly do. NO matter how much I wouldn't prefer moving up there, I guess I am left with no other option. Please advise folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 02:47 PM

384 posts, read 355,746 times
Most important here is to just give it a chance, Rochester is what you make of it. Coming in with the opinion of "Rochester, NY of all the places" isn't going to help you like it here any better, but it turns out many of us do love living here. There's plenty of stuff to do if you look around a little bit, and the summers are pretty wonderful. Since it sounds like you want to be close to the city, either the East End or south east neighborhoods are probably more your style. Plenty of bars and restuarants around, might be more like a 10-15 minute commute to Webster, but not too bad. I'm going to suggest you check out the East End specifically you're not going to find clubby type bars pretty much anywhere else. Not that we have a ton in the first place, but there are a couple. Pearl on East Ave gets some OK DJs from time to time. There are a couple recently redone residential buildings in that area, look up 300 Alexander or 111 on East just to get an idea of what area you should check out. You're also still close to Park Ave and Monroe Ave from there, which have a bunch more bars. There are also a couple projects going on around there with the Inner Loop fill in and Midtown tower being renovated, it's definitely an exciting time for downtown and that section specifically. In general, downtown and the SE quadrant skew towards the younger crowd, but even though most things I read claim it's just a bunch of college kids, you'll fit in just fine. I'm the same age, this is the area you want to be in if you're into a more urban setting, plenty of "young professionals" who want to live near the city.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:45 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,480 times
I agree with UncleBenny that it sounds like the East End is definitely going to probably be the best fit for you. You'll be near East Ave, Alexander St, Park Ave and Monroe Ave which all have a good number of bars/restaurants.

If you want to get an idea what that part of the city is like you can look at these links:
East End - Rochester Wiki
Park Avenue - Rochester Wiki
Monroe Avenue - Rochester Wiki

Also since you are an outdoorsy person, if you are willing to embrace winter types of activities, you'll learn that you can even have a great time in Rochester in the winter. Bristol Mountain ski resort is only a 25 minute drive from Rochester.
https://www.bristolmountain.com/

If you are willing to integrate into Rochester, it's actually a great city to live in. But like I said, you have to be willing to integrate and become part of the culture. Rochester without a doubt has a unique history and culture.

If you don't mind me asking what line of work are you moving up here for? I only ask because we've been having a lot of transplants moving here for IT. I work IT and almost every single person I work with now is a transplant.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:30 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,249 times
Man, that sucks dude, sorry to hear you have to leave Charlotte for Rochester. We really can't compare to Charlotte in the least bit, but you should be able to make a decent living and enjoy yourself for the most part. Unfortunately we just don't have the "City Center" kind of place Charlotte has and makes such great use of, if you were the kind of person to enjoy that area which it sounds like you were. Good luck with the move

Old 03-17-2015, 07:07 AM

93,216 posts, read 123,819,554 times
What UncleBenny and db2797 said is pretty much what you are looking for. Here is information on the SE Quadrant, which both of them made mention of: Southeast Quadrant - Rochester Wiki

and a general Rochester neighborhood guide from RocWiki, which includes specific websites for particular neighborhoods: Rochester Neighborhoods - Rochester Wiki

RocWiki is a great website for those that are looking for info on the city/area.

Also, an alternative newspaper like the Rochester City newspaper would probably be a good place to look for events that are going on in the area: Rochester City Newspaper

Here are some videos from a website connected with CGI Communications, a Rochester based company, that does such videos for communities across the country: Relocate.org - Community Video Network

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-17-2015 at 07:52 AM..

Old 03-18-2015, 10:22 AM

28 posts, read 52,804 times
I'm in my mid-thirties and recently moved to Rochester by way of Texas (for the last four years) and originally Delaware (about an hour from Philly). I love it here. I would choose it over Charlotte all day, to be honest with you (not that there's anything wrong with Charlotte!).

I agree that you want to be on the East side of the city. I'd suggest Park Ave - great neighborhood, lots of young professionals, bars, coffee shops, restaurants, etc. Webster isn't a bad drive. We're actually currently staying in a temporary apartment in Webster while we house hunt, and we go into the city a lot.

There are parks with hiking trails just about everywhere you look around Rochester. I think you'll like it here!

Old 03-28-2015, 08:55 PM

Here's some great info about the hiking trails throughout the Rochester area:
http://www.trails.com/activity.aspx?area=15556

Plus you have the fantastic Letchworth State Park just a little over a half hour drive from Rochester.
Letchworth State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Old 03-29-2015, 06:27 PM

29 posts, read 37,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Here's some great info about the hiking trails throughout the Rochester area:
http://www.trails.com/activity.aspx?area=15556

Plus you have the fantastic Letchworth State Park just a little over a half hour drive from Rochester.
Letchworth State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation
Oh My goodness! Looking forward to seeing that state park! I'm moving to Rochester in late June/early July. Excited to discover the area.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia12nt View Post
Oh My goodness! Looking forward to seeing that state park! I'm moving to Rochester in late June/early July. Excited to discover the area.
It is an unbelievably beautiful park for sure

Old 04-01-2015, 07:05 AM

384 posts, read 355,746 times
I believe voting for best state park in the country ends today, last I checked Letchworth was #1. Watkins Glen was also up near the top too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area