Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 01:02 PM

12 posts, read 17,598 times

Advertisements

My husband and I who are in our mid 50s and very active are looking to possibly relocate to Rochester or nearby suburbs.

We have two dogs, so a yard is very important to us. Other than that we are very open.

I prefer to be able to walk places as opposed to being out in the suburbs where you must drive everywhere.
I prefer a village atmosphere over a subdivision.

We are above $400,000 price range.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 01:32 PM

384 posts, read 353,571 times
Probably going to be hard to meet your yard requirements inside city limits. There are plenty of walkable areas and you could buy a really nice house on that budget, but most properties have fairly small yards in that area. How big of a yard are you looking for?

I would look around the Park/East Ave areas and see if anything fits what you're looking for, both very active areas.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:11 PM

Thank you for the info. If we go into the suburbs where would you suggest?

Old 03-20-2015, 02:23 PM

384 posts, read 353,571 times
I'm really no suburb expert, some of them do have a decent "village" feel though. Maybe check out Pittsford or Fairport? I'm sure someone else will have good suggestions as well.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:39 PM

92,303 posts, read 122,548,691 times
Would something like this work for you, OP?: 421 Yarmouth Road, Rochester, NY 14610

Like UncleBenny mentioned, a village could be an alternative. Brockport is another one that comes to mind.

Also, due to being NYPA customers, the villages of Fairport, Spencerport and Churchville has lower utility costs. Keep taxes in mind though, as villages are another level of government in regards to services along with town and county services. Delivery of the electric services is probably included within taxes as well.

I also believe that parts of Brighton and Irondequoit has walkable infrastructure. I know that the 12 Corners of Brighton has businesses that a person could walk to as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-20-2015 at 03:12 PM..

Old 03-20-2015, 08:58 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,319,694 times
UncleBenny and ckhthankgod have some great suggestions for you Lovespiddles.

Based on your criteria which sounds like you want to live someplace urban and very walkable, for the suburbs I agree with Pittsford or Fairport in the village. That will put within walking range of shops and restaurants and the canal.

Another suburban suggestion is a brand new development called "The Reserve on the Erie Canal" within Brighton which is a first ring suburb in Rochester. It is sort of a subdivision, but it's built in such a way to give it an urban feel. It has patio homes which should give you a yard. It's being connected to the erie canal via a walkway and not that far down the canal the same developer is doing another development called "citygate" which is going to be a Costco and restaurants and shops.

New Homes - Rochester, NY - Brighton, NY - Loft Condominiums (Condos), Townhomes, Patio Homes, Custom Built Single-Family Homes - The Reserve on the Erie Canal
New Homes - Rochester, NY - Brighton, NY - Loft Condominiums (Condos), Townhomes, Patio Homes, Custom Built Single-Family Homes - The Reserve on the Erie Canal
CityGate | Introducing CityGate, a 45-acre destination for shopping, living, dining, playing, and staying

As for living in the city, the Browncroft neighborhood is a great place to live like ckhthankgod has mentioned. Another great place to live in the city is the Winton Village area.
North Winton Village Association, Rochester, New York

But if you are looking for a really walkable and vibrant part of Rochester, it would definitely be East Ave., Park Ave. area. That area of the city tends to skew towards young professionals but you can definitely fit in being in your 50's too. I'm in my late 30's and go to restaurants/bars in the area all the time and there is always a good crowd of hip older adults in many of the restaurants. Plus you have the great museums and Eastman Theater right there too which has concerts pretty much every day. And the Geva Theater which is one of the most attended off broadway theaters in the country is also walkable from the East end.

East Avenue - Rochester Wiki
George Eastman House - Rochester Wiki
Memorial Art Gallery
Kodak Hall at Eastman Theatre – Eastman School of Music
Geva Theatre Center | Rochester, New York's Premier Professional Theatre

Old 03-21-2015, 06:15 AM

Thanks for all of the advice! This is a good starting point!! Your new development looks quite similar to something that started popping up north of indianapolis w in the last ten years. They are being sold as a village with in a village. Very attractive as I am getting older, but my reality is that both of my dogs are Pitt bull rescues and need some running space.

Rochester is quite attractive!

Now, be honest.. For the 20 plus years I have lived here winters have been difficult, not so much the snow as the areas inability to deal with it. Is it a fair assumption that your areas don't shut down when you get 5 inches?

Last edited by Lovespiddles; 03-21-2015 at 06:42 AM..

Old 03-21-2015, 08:34 AM

466 posts, read 978,848 times
No certainly not. Rochester clears snow quite well. 5 inches is nothing here.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:23 AM

1,865 posts, read 3,418,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovespiddles View Post
Thanks for all of the advice! This is a good starting point!! Your new development looks quite similar to something that started popping up north of indianapolis w in the last ten years. They are being sold as a village with in a village. Very attractive as I am getting older, but my reality is that both of my dogs are Pitt bull rescues and need some running space.

Rochester is quite attractive!

Now, be honest.. For the 20 plus years I have lived here winters have been difficult, not so much the snow as the areas inability to deal with it. Is it a fair assumption that your areas don't shut down when you get 5 inches?
Twice I was up there on business over this past winter (lived in Rochester for many years), and I have to say the local towns, Monroe Cty, and the State have snow removal down to a science.

I would highly recommend an all-wheel drive vehicle and/or SUV to get around. I saw plenty of cars, especially small ones and smart cars, in ditches during two storms. Bad enough that some people in the snow belt still can't figure out how to drive in the stuff, throw in some small cars which don't belong on the road during snow events, and things can get scary out on the road.

Five inches of snow, so long as it comes down over several hours, is nothing in Rochester, a normal winter day/night, in fact.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:58 PM

Are there any suburbs we would want to stay away from and why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area