U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 08:16 AM

1,194 posts, read 799,114 times

Advertisements

Pittsford, Brighton, Penfield, or Fairport. I know most people consider these to be the best school districts in the Rochester area but what are some of the other top districts in the area? Personal experiences with these other districts would be prefered, because I've seen most of the "rankings" and I feel that a lot of times the rankings do not tell the whole story.

I have visited a few of the areas mentioned above and I see why they are such sought after and desirable locations. However, the culture of the areas seem to be very keeping-up-with-the-Jones(ish) which I would rather not raise my family around.

So I guess what I am saying is that I am looking for a nice family friendly area with good school but trying to avoid what I mentioned above. My son will start kindergarten this fall in the churchville-chili SD. We will be in an apartment for a bit but when it comes time to buy a house (hopefullysooner than later) I want to find a place my family and I will be truly happy. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 08:31 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,610,758 times
Since you're already on the west side in a more rural-ish area, I'd recommend Spencerport or Hilton as your top choices. I never really hear much about their schools either good or bad, and I guess no news is good news

Old 03-26-2015, 01:59 PM

466 posts, read 825,883 times
For years West Irondequoit was always spoken in the same breath as Pittsford and Brighton. It doesn't seem to be anymore, but it's an excellent district.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:59 PM

1,204 posts, read 904,449 times
gt87, if you haven't seen Irondequoit (on the West side), you should give that area a look. Something tells me that would be a good fit for you. I'd consider that town "upper" blue collar if that makes sense. And they have pretty good schools too. I know people that live in that community and they love it and are very happy with the schools. And I don't think you'd have that feeling of competition that you may have in some of the Eastern suburbs.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:03 AM

56,257 posts, read 80,427,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
For years West Irondequoit was always spoken in the same breath as Pittsford and Brighton. It doesn't seem to be anymore, but it's an excellent district.
It is still highly regarded, while seemingly being a district you can suggest to just about anyone due to its cultural and economic diversity. This is along with good sports teams, neighborhoods with walkable infrastructure and its location. Personally, if I was moving to the area, it would be high on my list.

Some district info with a map: West Irondequoit Central School District - USA.comô

West Irondequoit Central School District

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-27-2015 at 08:52 AM..

Old 03-27-2015, 01:29 PM

1,194 posts, read 799,114 times
Thanks guys! Great info. Is there anyway someone could describe on a map, or possibly do a google map outline of the good areas of Irondequoit are. Specifically areas that fall within the west Irondequoit school district. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:55 PM

56,257 posts, read 80,427,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Thanks guys! Great info. Is there anyway someone could describe on a map, or possibly do a google map outline of the good areas of Irondequoit are. Specifically areas that fall within the west Irondequoit school district. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
If you view the first website(usa.com) in my earlier post, it shows a map of the district. You can also view demographics by census divisions on that map too.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:17 PM

466 posts, read 825,883 times
Anywhere north of Titus Ave you're in good shape. Closer to the lake, the better. The neighborhoods by the Helmer Nature Center are really solid. I grew up in Irondequoit. It's a close knit community and many grow up and buy houses there themselves.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:33 PM

1,204 posts, read 904,449 times
I agree with Colton, go north of Titus and you're in good shape in a great neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or