U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 02:54 PM

26 posts, read 37,859 times

Advertisements

As evidenced many times on this thread, Rochester's reputation outside the region (and even locally) is less than stellar. There are probably many reasons: Rochester's downtown does not have curb appeal, the city in general lacks a "wow factor," and we don't have that one long strip of shopping/dining that other cities have. Throw in the reputation about the winter and the Rust Belt economy and we're perfectly set up to have a pretty rough reputation. But those of us who love Rochester are able to see past this façade and actually see an amazing region with history, top-tier culture, phenomenal education, ingenuity, great art, and a spirit that is sometimes hard to describe (all for a great cost.)

I'm trying to do my part to help convey this message and just wrote a short book called "Rochesternomics: Why, Statistically Speaking, You Should Live in Rochester, NY." I partly wrote it just to write it. That said, it would be great if it could be used as resource by people, businesses, universities, etc. to help retain and obtain the talent that Rochester in my mind deserves.

Here is a link.
Rochesternomics: Why, Statistically Speaking, You Should Live in Rochester, NY: Amol Shrikhande: 9781457535178: Amazon.com: Books

The ebook will be available in about a month.
As a disclaimer, the comments are from people I know so please disregard them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 04:20 PM

1,204 posts, read 902,505 times
I will definitely be purchasing the book!!

Old 04-25-2015, 04:37 PM

13,789 posts, read 7,307,672 times
Just purchased the book through Amazon though I'm not sure when it will be available again. I'm not from Rochester originally, but my partner is and we both may be moving there in the next couple of years. I'm impressed with what I've seen and experienced there so far and I am anxious to read your book.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:37 AM

351 posts, read 237,741 times
Have you contacted the news stations and/or papers about this? Seems like something the media around here would find very interesting. I would also try to hit up Rachel Barnhart on social media, she loves this stuff and it seems like it would definitely get your book a little publicity with her local following.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenny View Post
Have you contacted the news stations and/or papers about this? Seems like something the media around here would find very interesting. I would also try to hit up Rachel Barnhart on social media, she loves this stuff and it seems like it would definitely get your book a little publicity with her local following.
Thank you for the advice. My marketing skills leave a bit to be desired. Over the next few weeks, I will try to get the word out. I don't anticipate a great deal of revenue, but I do truly hope that the book can be an objective, trustworthy resource which can perhaps turn a few heads.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:13 PM

I agree with UncleBenny, definitely let Rachel Barnhart know about the book. She's an anchor at Channel 8 but very much pro-city. She has a huge twitter following of over 31 thousand and she'll definitely give your book a word on her twitter page.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:01 AM

351 posts, read 237,741 times
Any details on when the paperback will be available?

Old 04-28-2015, 01:47 PM

Thanks again for the advice. Believe it or not, I don't have a twitter account, but I left Rachel Barnhart a message through her blog The Rochesterian.

Apparently Amazon is awaiting a shipment of the paperbacks from the distributor (who gets it to them from the publisher) - I'm learning all this on the fly! Hopefully this happens anytime, but in the meantime the book is also available through Barnes and Noble online.

The ebook will be available at some point next month.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:38 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,647,028 times
Rochester shares a lot with other similarly-sized cities, when it comes to stats. Like other cities, Rochester has a considerable amount of post-war suburban sprawl, which left its downtown fairly hollow around roughly 1960 or so (Midtown was a major economic development project for the city, and doomed to fail). Other similarly-sized cities have had their failures, going back to Urban Renewal. Rochester (metro) just didn't suffer quite the mid-century decline which befell other metros, it took a while longer.

It has a lot going for it, just not right now, there's no real draw for people, except for perhaps some highly-paid university workers and whatnot.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post

It has a lot going for it, just not right now, there's no real draw for people, except for perhaps some highly-paid university workers and whatnot.
While I do agree that Rochester's decline was slower than other metros, I disagree that the city doesn't have the draw. I would say the bottom of the decline for Rochester was right around 2003-2004. And the reason I say this is based on my own experience of visiting and living in the city. I lived in the city in the late 90's to early 2000's and the difference between then and now is night and day. When I lived in the city there was no East Ave. entertainment district. There was no South Wedge. Really it was Monroe Ave. and Park Ave. Monroe Ave. where everybody lived. Monroe Ave. was where the rowdy college kids went and lived and Park Ave. was where the laid back kids lived.There were no loft apartments. There were no projects in the pipeline rennovating old buildings. There was no growth at all.

Since then, East Ave/Alexander has grown into a full blown entertainment district with many/many bars and restaurants and the South Wedge has grown into a really neat neighborhood. Not only are young adults moving to the city, but seniors are revisiting the city too. As an example, my Fiance's Aunt and Uncle love talking to use about the city and they are thrilled that we have an interest in the city. Her cousin/brother are moving into the city. There are new million dollar condos being built on Park Ave. and they've actually sold them quite easily. As another example, there are buildings that have been vacant for 30-40 years being renovated into apartment lofts. Buildings that old don't get renovated if there isn't a serious interest in city living.

This just isn't the same city it was 10-15 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area